Resurgence of hormonal behavior in neutered male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aki

Reaction score
So, this morning, I had the unpleasant surprise to find my male, Tybalt, making that weird nuptial parade noise and trying to mount Aki who was having none of it. I don't understand it: Tybalt was neutered more than 2 and a half years ago, he has been living with Aki (7 year old female, spayed) ever since and it's the first time it's happened. It has never happened with my previous rabbit either.

For now, Aki is just fleeing while Tybalt is chasing (he seemed to calm down during the day, but I heard the cooing noise from him again just now) but I really don't like it especially since Aki is blind. What's happening? It's not even spring!

Stress can sometimes cause a rabbit to behave unexpectedly like this. Underlying health problems can also cause a rabbit to have sudden behavior changes like this. Problems such as with the adrenal gland can lead to excessive hormonal behavior in a neutered bun. If it continues and/or worsens, it would definitely be a good idea to get your bun checked by your rabbit savvy vet.

I haven't caught him doing it again - from what I can tell it lasted about 24h. I'm keeping an eye on them and I saw Aki grooming him yesterday without any untoward behavior happening. I read an article saying it can happen in the spring for some rabbits. I'm wondering if it can be linked to the crazy temperatures. It's been excessively hot and dry for about a month here, and even if the animals are all inside and kept cool, except for the Russian Turtle who is the only one of us who is thrilled about the weather, it seems to mess with them all (the dog has been having soft poops for a week even though he ate nothing out of the ordinary and has been dewormed recently).
Also, there is a house in front of the rabbit's room, like 20m away, and they have been renovating the roof for about three weeks. It's very noisy. So stress might be a part of the problem too. Now that I think about it, Aki had stasis last year when my OTHER neighbour was renovating his roof (it lasted for like 2 months, I'm myself getting quite annoyed with the constant noise, the workers listening to the radio very loudly, shouting at each other... not even talking about the insane amount of dust - they used a small crane last week to lift tiles and stuff just outside of my garden's wall and my dog went berserk even though he never barks).

So yeah, maybe it's just that...

Latest posts

Back