(RESOLVED!!) Lucky rabbit was rescued from under a car - but now needs a place to go

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My gosh have I been MIA or what!!! Well this isn't about me, it's about a bunny named Houdini and how he needs a friend right now.
photo4.jpg

I don't have a ton of details but a friend of a friend found a rabbit hiding under a car near a park in New Jersey on Monday and she rescued him out from the street. The bunny is eating and pooping fine right now. Unfortunately his rescuer has two cats, a small child, and not a lot of space in her apartment. At the moment the cats are being kept away from the bunny but her husband insists on finding the bunny a place to live by Friday. I don't get the feeling that they're going to throw the bun out at all, they don't sound like that kind of people! But the reality is they can't keep the bunny right now. They really want to be able to keep the bunny when they move to a bigger place which is estimated to be next year. Ultimately, they're looking for someone who can "foster" Houdini until they can accommodate him. *She is willing to pay for food & medical for the duration of the stay.*

I know, a year is a long time and those who work with rabbit rescues know that adoption returns and vacation dumps have happened in a shorter amount of time than that. I have no reason to doubt her intentions, though. But basically, she can't keep the bunny right now, and wants a temporary home for him. If someone is willing to give him a forever home outright, she is ok with that too. She just doesn't want to take him somewhere and have him PTS. The only alternative at the moment is to bring him to her local NJ animal shelter. I don't know what the shelter'll to with the bun (rehome, relocate to a rescue or otherwise??). I'm trying to find out about her local shelter at the moment.

Houdini is a beautiful brown and white Dutch bunny and so far has been very sweet and friendly considering being out and about on his own. One RO member has offered to transport the bun by car or by plane if someone is willing to do this - thank you!!!

Help!!!:big kiss: :help

Edit: Added pic, and some other details.

I'm no help, I live in Michigan, but I really hope that they find a suitable foster home for that sweet bun. It was very lucky that they got to him first, before a wild animal did.

If only I wasn't so far away, I'd look after him! Good luck!

Well... :) early this morning I got a text from a fellow member saying she will help get the bun anywhere it needs to go - car or plane...

At the moment I have another special RO member who might be the answer Houdini needs. :heartbeat:

Fingers, toes and bunny ears crossed!

:hug: RO community, how I have missed you!

kirbyultra wrote:
Well... :) early this morning I got a text from a fellow member saying she will help get the bun anywhere it needs to go - car or plane...

At the moment I have another special RO member who might be the answer Houdini needs. :heartbeat:

Fingers, toes and bunny ears crossed!

:hug: RO community, how I have missed you!
It's so good to hear that he'll be taken care of :) I would take him in a heartbeat if I was closer!

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

I agree Jim.:woohoo:yes::yes::biggrin::big wink::nod:agree:thumbup

Susan:tonguewiggle:woohoo

:big kiss::sunshine::party0002::pinkbouce::clapping::yahoo::weee::yes:
:happyrabbit::happyrabbit::happyrabbit:
:party:

I'm not as prepared as I'd like to be, but I'm going to contact Houdini's owner this evening.

My house is a mess! We've got the carpet guys coming on Saturday. The bunny room looks like "hay bomb" went off and there's enough cobwebs to qualify it as a haunted house.
My workshop (where Houdini would be quarantined for 2 weeks) looks like an episode of "Hoarders"....I hoard unfinished projects ;).
The extra cages are out in the garage "somewhere".

I like to have a health clearance done by a vet.

A vet's health clearance, authorization and compensation of veterinary treatment, letter of financial agreements, terms of service, etc......are all things I would normally like to have documented in the case of a long term foster.

I'm willing to temporarily waive some stuff....... aside from the health clearance and authorization for veterinary treatment/method of payment.
I have letters drafted to cover these items.

She can take Houdini to her vet for a health clearance (vet must be qualified to treat exotics) or I'll take him to my vet and she can pay the bill.
My vet accepts Care Credit (as well as cash, checks, and credit/debit cards) so I think I'll ask the owner to consider applying for it, and my vet will keep the account info on file to charge to.

I'd really like to wait until next weekend, but I think is would be best to get Houdini into a more stable environment ASAP.

There's a good possibility I'd be able to take him in Sunday afternoon........if the owner is okay with the arrangements.

There!!!! The bun's outta the bag now. :biggrin:

Aw Jim....you're a very very good man...and this bunny will be very lucky to get to live there.

Latest posts

Back