Rescuing rabbits and need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKbunnys

Reaction score
I have have been working at a shop for the past 8 months where 20 or so rabbits are allowed to roam free. Lady across the street hardly takes care of them and its really sad. I have been feeding and watering some for the past few months who I made friends with. I built a hutch to save 8 of them but quickly learned they don't get along inside a pen. I let 4 go and had 2 of the males neutered. The 4 in the hutch have been doing good. This is in Alaska and predators are a common thing. A week ago two young Lynx showed up and have made this their hunting ground. They have now killed quite a few and are here to stay despite my best effort. I called local shelters and rescue centers with no luck. I caught the 4 other rabbits that I have been taking care of outside the hutch and took them home. Looks like one must have had a litter. I knew she looked like she was probably pregnant because of how she gained in size recently. Its been 2 days now since I took them home and I can see and feel that she must have been nursing, her breast are very big now. Right up to the time I caught her she seemed to be eating so much all the time. Now I'm sure she has a littler somewhere but it is not safe to return her at all. My question at this time is do I need to worry about her and not being able to get ride of all her milk? Mastitis? I am new to rabbits and my wife just told me the moma rabbit can get Mastitis. What should I do?

I have had rabbits who had babies die after birth and they did fine... I would recommend taking her to the vet just to make sure...

She could develop mastitis. I would keep a close eye on her and if you feel like she has developed mastitis or you aren't sure, take her to a rabbit savvy vet.

Latest posts

Back