Rescued Wild Rabbit Baby

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
Hey guys!

My cats just brought up a baby rabbit, about 2 weeks old I would say. His eyes are open, hes smaller than my palm. I have him in a crate, covered with a towel right now. He doesn't seem super injured, but I'm not sure. I haven't seen any visible puncture wounds, no blood, but that doesn't rule out internal injuries or broken bones. He did get up and hop about a foot away. Hes letting me hold him...which is worrisome, because that makes me think its hurt on the inside and can't be scared enough to try to get away from me.

This is my plan, I'm going to go out in when I'm done posting to look for his burrow. If I find it, which is a long shot because I'm backed up to 600+ acres of nature preserve, I'll put him back.

If I can't find it, do I just keep him for a few days to make sure hes eating and walking around properly? (ie, doesn't have a broken back or any broken legs)
How many days is too many? And upon release, do I just put him in a spot that looks good, hopefully far enough away from my house and my cats?

Does he just need to eat some grass and some hay? I'll put a small water dish in there too. Does he need anything else?

Thanks for any help! I can probably find a wild life rehabilitation person around here as well.

Sorry, I don't know what species you have there, cottontail? I've only experience with european (domestic) rabbits.

With 2 weeks it wouldn't be weaned now, not sure if it can survive an solid food alone. Anyway, simple kitchen oatmeal is easy to digest for young rabbits and gives a lot of energy, I would offer that, additionally to greens, hay and water.

For feeding it condensed goat milk (mine is from Walmart) seems to be good, no cow or cat milk.

Isn't there some organisation you could contact about local wildlife?

The baby didn't make it. He had a dislocated front leg and probably massive internal injuries. I held him as he went so he was nice and warm and taken care of.
I did get in touch with the wildlife rescuers but it was already too late.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back