Rescued rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

Reaction score
I am SO glad I rescued that rabbit on Friday. Hewas being kept in dreadful conditions, it just makes me so sad thatpeople don't know better :(.

Those who read my other post may have noticed the 'he' he's definitelya boy I had a good check, though he only has one testicle. We stillhaven't thought of a name that suits him yet, so he'sgotatemporary one of Cuddlebun :).

The weather here is awful at the moment, just one long freezing howling gale of hail and snow and wind.

But today instead of freezing and starving in an outsidehutchmy new boy is in the dry and relativelywarmand I think he thinks he's gone to heaven.

The first few hoursI got him he went through a pint and ahalf of water, so guess how dehydrated that poor bun must have been :(.

He was ravenous too, but I've been very careful not to give him toomuch all at once because he has been quite literally starved. He wasnothing but fur and bone when I examined him andhis fur is interrible condition :X.

I've started by mixing in a few oats with the junk food that came withhim. I tried adding a few pellets yesterday morning but he got instantsoft stools so slowly slowly..

His water intake has slowed to what I'd expect so I'm hoping he has nokidney problems. He has one really long tooth sticking out like a tuskat the front, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him and he's going tothe vet tomorrow to get it seen to and have the rest of him checked. Ican't see any obvious problems apart from his starvation.

That poor little boy is the most loving cuddly sweet natured rabbitimagineable, and he gets SO excited by the smallest things that myspoiled lot take for granted, affection, toys, food, room to move.. andtreats LOL.

He needs his nails cutting of course but since he's been here he's beenspending a lot of time carefully grooming himself so the terriblestench he gave off on first arrival is lessening hourly. I can't tellyou how badly that poor boy smelled, it was vile. But then theconditions he was kept in make that hardly surprising.

When he's back to full condition I think he's going to be a veryhandsome boy, he's got lovely coloured fur. I'm hoping that tomorrow afriend is going to take some pictures and email them to me so I canpost some up of him - and the rest of my herd.

He's a lop as I mentioned in my first post about him.

Kate

The poor bunny. At least he has you looking afterhim and loving on him now. Hope he gets stronger. Cant wait to seepictures of him.

Cristy

My relatives are all cross with me because of myfinancial state :p, but when I told them the state he was in theyagreed I couldn't have left him there. In fact they're following hisprogress now too.

Besides I've always trusted in God that I'll have enough to care for myanimals and keep a roof over my head and it all works out somehow. Iwas rung last nightand asked to work an extra half day thisweek so that's the vet paid for :D.

I can't tell you just what a sweetie he is, and I neverknew a rabbit could get so excited about a raisin :D. He's soenthusiastic and hopeful that a second one might appear that it'sreally hard to resist giving him more - though I do.

The saddest thing is that he once wasa spoiled house bunny.He'd been given to the daughter of the man I got him from for a 21stbirthday present by her flatmates when she was a student nurse inCardiff, and he was petted and made a fuss of all the time.

But the man thatsaid after a few months they were all toobusy and got bored with him. So she travelled back and dumped him onher parents, who knew nothing about rabbits and didn't want one, sayingshe'd be back to sort out taking him again. Of course she never did.

The only thing that surprises me is why they waited so long to startlooking for another home for him when they obviously didn't care forhim. The man had the grace tolook embarrassed through thewhole time of me taking him.

I didn't say anything about his living conditions or the state he wasin, there was no point. He knew and I knew, and it wasn't as if he wasever going to have another rabbit.

At least my lovely little one is happy now. He's adjusted really well.He's used his litter tray all the time right from the start so heobviously had been litter trained. He likes to play and he's just solaid back.

I was expecting a nervous/aggressive/depressed rabbit after what he'dbeen through, but he obviously understands the concepts of forgivenessand living in the present a lot better than most humans. I'm justamazed at his character.

I'm hoping the vet visit shortly has no nasty surprises. It will bejust so great to get rid of that tusk. He's obviously learned to livewith it but it bothers me every time I see him struggle to do somethingbecause of it :(.

Kate

Still no pictures as yet but the vet visit wentvery well :D. He's obviously underweight and his fur'sprettysparse probably because of malnutrition but he's got no problems excepthis front teeth and I've been shown how to clip them.

He was really unhappy about the car trip, I think he thought his happydays might be over almost as soon as they'd begun, but once I got himhome again he started to relax and earlier he actually sprawled out somuch he was practically lying on his back. He's such a laidback boy :D.

Kate

That's awesome, Kate. Not about his poor tooth,but about how relaxed he is with you. I'm so happy that you found himand are caring for him like he deserves.

I'll bet he'll be looking good in no time.

I'm so glad you rescued that baby!!Poor bunny being starved and just miserable!! Now he has agood home and can look forward to some happiness!

Latest posts

Back