Rescued rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

Reaction score
A fewweeks ago I was in the pet shopbuying hay and the customer in front was obviously trying to find a wayto rehome an older rabbit, and the petshop woman was basically sayingsorry no one wants older ones and his chances of rehoming were prettymuch nil round here.

Of course I butted in and asked for a few details and being me ended upgiving him my number and saying if he couldn't find a home anywhereelse I'd take him in.

So he's just rung me up and asked if I'll still have the rabbit andI've said yes, sight unseen, I'm about to go and pick him/her up. S/hehas never been sexed so I don't know which it is yet.

My worry is that this rabbit has always been outside. I can't haveoutside rabbits here, there are too many predators that call my gardenhome.

Eventually after a quarantine period s/he'll join the others, but forthe meantime I'm going to have the hutch in the kitchen. It isn't awarm place, none of my house is, but is there any danger of him/hergetting into problems as a result of being brought inside temperaturewise, and if so is there anything I can do to lessen the shock?

Any other tips also gratefully received. I'm going to get him/her now.

Kate

Maybe you can put the bunny in the garage first,somewhere with the middle temperature and then after a day bringhim/her in. Actually I have no idea if its bad for him/her to bebrought in.

What an Angel you are Kate.

My Daisy is an outdoor Rabbit that we brought in for a few monthsbetween bonfire night and up until about 2 weeks ago. She adapted wellto being inside as she was in the kitchen too andit is thecoolest place in the house. The only thing I would really bother aboutis where you put her, not too near a radiator (but you have otherindoor bunnies so you know that). All I can suggest really is don't letyour house get too hot. I'm not too sure of the tempreature scale thatis healthy for a rabbit,maybe someone else can hep. I foundshe didn't like being handled inside and did panic, thats why I put herback outside again. I'm sure this rabbit will be fine though once usedto his/her new suroundings.

All I really wanted to do was to commend you for doing all us bunny lovers proud!

Vickie

Hi Kate,

It's a wonderful thing you're doing. I will, from this point on, consider you a certified "Bunniehugger" :D.

I would only be concerned with acclimating the bun from outside temp to inside temp.

IOW.....if the bun is currently outside you could bring it into a garage as Anna mentioned or an enclosed porch.

The idea is to gradually move the bun from outside temps to inside temps so as not to shock their systems.

:~) Jim

LOL Kate, you're such a kind hearted woman! So that'll be 7 rabbits you'll have then?! Wow!

I can't really help, but I think it's amazing that you did that! :)

Ang xx

I'm back with the new addition.

Yes seven rabbits it will be Ang :D. What was that post about rabbit woman?

Unfortunately I don't have a garage or porch. I'm thinking the bestthing to do is just to turn the heating even lower for a few days andslowly build it up again.

Will write more later when I have more time. Just trying to sort thingsout right now. S/he's bigger than I expected, I was told a dutchbutI'm looking at a lop :p. Poor man didn't have a clue.

Kate

I'm glad you saved that rabbit from a man withouta clue...what a good person you are....I think this new rabbit willadjust well and realize what a great home she was brought into....

oh, and I wanna see pictures!

Latest posts

Back