Rescue Reputation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
I was corresponding with a rescue (I will not name) to travel a great distance to speed date their bunnies and get a rescue bunny. I did very little research on them but was able to easily find MANY reviews reporting dirty conditions, underweight rabbits, fleas, and other illnesses being spread around. A few people I have spoken with have reported their rabbits dying shortly out of coming from this rescue. They seemed heartbroken. A few people have told me they need to be shut down, but it's difficult to get this kind of place shut down. One person reported getting a rabbit that was supposed to be neutered and it was not and so they were stuck with a neuter at their vet after an adoption fee. It makes me very wary. Would you still travel there? I don't want Charlie getting fleas or other communicable illnesses!

I would be extremely wary. While not all reviews are right, to have a ton of reviews saying the SAME thing, is telling. Unfortunately, without going there yourself, you can't help report them, because you can't report something you haven't seen. If you'd still like to go to see if you can help the rabbits by reporting the "rescue", then that would be another option. A tough situation, overall.

Edit: I meant going by yourself -- don't bring the bun.

Last edited:
I would be very worried as well. With so many poor reviews. Is there any way to get a vet report before adopting and even before the speed date?

If it were me and I heard all those bad reviews, I probably wouldn't go.

The hard thing about rescues is that there usually is illness that runs around and that is sometimes common (well, with dogs, so I imagine it's common with most animals that come in contact with same surfaces) and incubation time of illnesses can have the animals not even showing signs of illness until after they leave. With bunnies being high stress animals, could stress play into some of the illness?

It's a tough call. I would definitely require a vet record before you have your two buns meet.

one or two bad reviews are easy to shrug off... but if there's a LOT of them, I'd stay away. better safe than sorry!

If it were me, I wouldn't dare bring my rabbit anywhere near that place or bring a rabbit home from there, for fear of getting my healthy rabbit sick, if they are really as bad as it sounds. If maybe I saw a rabbit that I felt I had to save, then maybe But even then I would put it in quarantine for a month to make sure it isn't carrying anything that could get my other rabbit sick. I would never bring my rabbit to that place, especially with there being reports of sick rabbits there. I definitely wouldn't pay a big adoption fee either.

Thank you for the swift replies. You seem to think what I thought. Maybe if I didn't have charlie and I were getting one I could take the time to make it well but I don't want to risk his health. He's already had a rough start to life!

Sorry to hear that the rescue is not going to work out. I would not take any of my animals to a place like that. Hope that you find a new better one.

How long is the commute to the rescue? Could you go there on your own and check out the conditions of the rescue? And if its really bad, you can report them. I know its so hard for rescues to stay afloat, I totally get that. But sometimes good intentions get people into big trouble. So if there are animals suffering there, then someone should report it. Not that you have to be the whistle blower, but someone should be.

Me personally, I think you should adopt that little loppy that was found on the side of the road! But thats just my personal opinion. ;)

The rescue is 4ish hours away! Ouch!!!! I agree about the little one that was found :) we shall see what happens!

Unfortunately it's just as likely the rescue is not getting a fair shake from disgruntled volunteers and 'rival' rescues. If you want a meaningful opinion, call their vet and their local SPCA.

sas :|

Good idea pipp! I just want to be clear that this is NOT a certain rescue that had had an unfortunate campaign against it!

Latest posts

Back