Rescue bun, skinny & mellow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainDownOnMe

Reaction score
This is little Lennon, we adopted him from a small animal rescue on Saturday. He had been in a foster home for about a week, he was picked up as a stray late October, neutered, and transported to the rescue.

View media item 9911View media item 9910
We have a bonded pair of Flemish that I'd like to bond him with eventually (we did a speed date with them) but frankly, I don't think Lennon is feeling up to that yet so they are still separated.

He doesn't move around much. The only time we've seen him active is when we have food (pellets). I got him some alfalfa since he's very underweight, and he was just barely nibbling his Timothy. The rescue/foster told me he gets diarrhea from greens so I've just been feeding pellets and hay and trying to get probiotics into him daily with a few organic rolled oats. His appetite is good and he is drinking lots of water. I've never seen him groom other than "washing" his face and I haven't seen him flop yet. He doesn't seem afraid or stressed really but it's also only been a few days.

I guess what I'm wondering is if his low body weight could be linked to his low activity level? My Flemish are really mellow but even they move around and explore more than this little peanut. Is there anything else I should be doing? I offered him SARx but he didn't care for it. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to support our new little guy!

Hi, he looks like a netherland dwarf I imagine that would be complete opposite to flemish giants.
If he's only with you a couple days and generally eats and drinks and poops normally I wouldn't worry much, I have a rescued lionhead who spent his first week in my home staying days and nights in one dark corner of his cage, only coming out for pellets, also he didn't eat/drink for first 8 hours when brought in. You don't know what stress he went through and maybe he just needs some time a couple weeks and he'll be alright.
I am not sure if you want to bond him to your bonded pair of flemishes, as they say that the third rabbit cn break the bond, but I don't have own experience with that just it said quite often that bringing third rabbit to a bonded pair and have three separated rabbits as a result.
Hopefully yours will bond nicely, he's very cute and it's very nice of you to take him in. Good luck and please keep us updated

Hi, he looks like a netherland dwarf I imagine that would be complete opposite to flemish giants.
If he's only with you a couple days and generally eats and drinks and poops normally I wouldn't worry much, I have a rescued lionhead who spent his first week in my home staying days and nights in one dark corner of his cage, only coming out for pellets, also he didn't eat/drink for first 8 hours when brought in. You don't know what stress he went through and maybe he just needs some time a couple weeks and he'll be alright.
I am not sure if you want to bond him to your bonded pair of flemishes, as they say that the third rabbit cn break the bond, but I don't have own experience with that just it said quite often that bringing third rabbit to a bonded pair and have three separated rabbits as a result.
Hopefully yours will bond nicely, he's very cute and it's very nice of you to take him in. Good luck and please keep us updated

That's reassuring, thank you!

The rescue guessed Dutch mix, but he does have Netherland-like ears and the little smooshed face, so maybe that is the other part of the puzzle. He's a little over 4lbs and quite emaciated so I would guess he should be more like 5lbs.

My Flemish don't seem to mind him much, my female chased him a little when I did some dates but I bailed on that because I just felt so bad for him in his condition. I'm going to hold off on more dates until he's feeling better. They are living in the same large pen with a divider between spaces for now.

Latest posts

Back