Repurpose furniture cage size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseBun1

Reaction score
Hello,
We are thinking about adding a bunny to the family. I'm trying to figure out the best size cage. I have no idea how big the bunny will be as we are planning to adopt from a local shelter

Anyway, Bunny's cage will be in our living area, so we want it to look like it's part of the furniture. We have decided to repurpose a cabinet or buffet or whatever we can find for a decent price. Roughly how big should we look for? I have a cabinet that I was thinking of using it's 40" L x 18" D x 36"H. I'm worried it might not be deep enough?

Side note, I know people are going to suggest NIC cages or xpens. My husband has hard refused both. We had a c&c when we had guinea pigs and he HATED it and hates the way they look. No offense to anyone who has one, he just doesn't like it.

Thanks.

We made this out of an old oven cabinet. Bear in mind, though, that determining appropriate size depends much on how much out-of-cage time bunny will get. This cage of ours is open from first thing in the morning til late at night.

There are others here on RO who have re-purposed different furniture pieces for their rabbit cage.

upload_2019-3-29_20-23-24.png

This is is 53" L x 26" D with an interior height of about 29." I don't think I'd suggest going any smaller than what I have. I think you're right that 18" depth is rather narrow.

There's actually a window in this cage since it was made to sit in front of a house window. You can see it in this angle photo:

upload_2019-3-29_20-32-12.png
upload_2019-3-29_20-40-29.png

Last edited:
Hello,
We are thinking about adding a bunny to the family. I'm trying to figure out the best size cage. I have no idea how big the bunny will be as we are planning to adopt from a local shelter

Anyway, Bunny's cage will be in our living area, so we want it to look like it's part of the furniture. We have decided to repurpose a cabinet or buffet or whatever we can find for a decent price. Roughly how big should we look for? I have a cabinet that I was thinking of using it's 40" L x 18" D x 36"H. I'm worried it might not be deep enough?

Side note, I know people are going to suggest NIC cages or xpens. My husband has hard refused both. We had a c&c when we had guinea pigs and he HATED it and hates the way they look. No offense to anyone who has one, he just doesn't like it.

Thanks.
That is what I am planning to do myself, at the moment I am thinking of my old solid wooden table that is 6 x 3 ft and 74 cm high. I am going to make back and two sides of light panels maybe covered with plastic film or lino or using shower panels for easy cleaning and floor covered with lino too, and I have already a few safety fire guards I am going to use as front panels they perfectly fit under table just like they were made for it, but I will have to think how to make a door, that will be sliding door most likely.

There are 2 panels 88x66cm, 2 smaller 66x48cm and two on top 88cm long I don't remember they are about 20-25cm

112713_030414_bsr4085-3.jpg

New questions

1. The nook that I'm planning on putting the cage in is 28" wide. This should be fine right? If I find something 28 wide that should be deep enough, right?

2. How high should shelves be? Like is there a minimum distance between shelves? I know there should be a space for them to stand fully extended, but how much space should be between like the floor and the first shelf? Also, do you have to create ramps? They seem to take up a lot of cage space.

I think you are meaning depth (front to back)? That is roughly the same depth as the cage in my photo. If bunny gets lots of roaming time outside of the cage, the size of the cage is less critical.

If the shelf heights are about 12" then bunny can hop up to that (no need for ramps). You are correct about bunny needing to be able to stretch up (which would be more than 12"). So just be sure that there are some areas where they can do that. For example, my cage above has a shelf, but there is still a larger (taller) area on the left side.

Perfect. Thank you. Yes I meant depth. Height of the open part probably that 25"-30" minimum?

Latest posts

Back