Reopened spay stitch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
Checked Iris yesterday-site was just a bit red and some stitches had vanished somewhere, probably dissolved.
Checked her today-no stitches remain and the top skin layer is opened by a few milimeters, deeper layer stitches are still there. I saw no ooze, no blood. Just a teeny crust and the most minor redness.
She wouldn't stay still long enough for me to take a picture though.
Would it close up on its own provided the vest and clean conditions, or would it need another stitch by the vet?

Disolving stitches dont disolve that fast.
I would take her back to the clinic to have it dealt with. She may need antibiotics as well. And please look into some type of cone or shirt for her as this means she has either been licking/chewing or way to active.

Well, she's been provided with a blue vest and she is wearing it. One afternoon that she had it off (noticed she was unkempt so gave her the chance to freely clean herself), she didin't seem to bother her stitches too much but she is still wearing it for safety's sake.
So i suspect that she might've done something too acrobatic too soon(most likely stretching up, or a bit of resistance when checking the site, not sure?) . Reducing her space isn't an option-a 60*90cm crate is small enough for her as-is. She does have a lower, a bit smaller litterbox for her recovery time, no ramps, no perches.
I have lost all trust in that specific branch of the clinic we took her to, i'll have to talk to dad if he would call the other branch of the same clinic. That one seems to have a more reasonable vet, even if he's not bunny savvy per se. Driving 130km to a savvy vet for a stitch sounds a bit extra to me?
Surely the sooner the better, but how urgent is it?

It would be best done sometime today. The shirt will help to keep debris out of the wound until you can get her seen. This other vet you may want to ask for a rabbit safe oral antibiotic like septrin, so you don't have to do anymore injections... since we know how much she enjoyed those. I can't imagine how she's managed this. Just a little troublemaker, isn't she :p

Yeah, the vest has been worn all these days so i wouldn't nescessarily call it clean, but it is still effective in what it's supposed to do.
Ain't no going to the vets at literal midnight. Heh, timezones. Will definetly try to get her in somewhere tomorrow.
Emailed the possibly savvier clinic bundle which is an hour's drive away, webpage says they're closed, but then there's a paragraph that states in order to be seen a number must be called? I'll have to see how it goes, probably won't recieve anything before 9am as that's when most clinics open up.
Also i have no idea how dad's gonna reschedule his work to fit the drive, but his boss is bendy in that regard. My job is to be the brain and to know when something needs a proper check, it's dad's job to get us to the vet's office :)

Huh, she only tolerated one inj. biotic, for the rest we decided that her resistance and odd skin wasn't worth it, and her site looked clean. Do does have all of their extra skin stored in the dewlap, not the lower neck/upper back? She had so little room between skin and muscle there...
Why stress and struggle her when it wouldn't really be needed?

But she is a troublemaker indeed. She would make a terriffic duo if she would end up bonding with Storm, but as it is now, eh, that is unlikely. Might be initial hate, but Storm went poking his nose into her space, he got nipped, and when i went to nudge his big fat skull away from her, he sharply turned and latched onto my thumb, it bled a lot. Clearly a case of redirected anger on his behalf, but still. Owwwww....

She was nice enough to let me take a picture right now. Now i'm confused by it-is it better or worse?
20210713_141310.jpg

Welp, no vet will take us today. The nearest time we were offered was tomorrow midnoon.
Even though the clinics never look to have a queque....

Well, I'm no doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and that looks like a relatively healthy healing site. The darker red looks like granulation, which is an indicator of healing. If she's not bleeding, and otherwise happy, I'm sure she'll be fine until tomorrow!

Just from the photo, it looks like it might be ok. If it doesn't look split open, maybe you just got a weird look at it before and it looked open when it wasn't. Maybe later, try and get a clear view of it to determine if it really is healing or split open.

Welp, the vet checked it over just now. Her site was just fine and he said that the inner stitches felt fine as well. Just to spray some antiseptic on it few times a day, quickly wash the vest and that she should be completely fine after few days of that.

Iris is THE most trouble for a fixing op. Yesterday : sprayed antiseptic on the site, washed the vest, dried it, put it back on her-all was good. Today: after waking up, what do i see? She had torn it off, and no surprise, had messed with the site again. It had a ring of fresh-looking blood around it, and the place seemed to be, idk, cracked? Like some teeny fragment of tissue was in the very middle, and with little wrinkles, a ring of flesh pink skin around it, surrounded by a slim ring of blood. Hard to describe. Tried my best to clean it up, put the vest back on and had to leave it at that. I don't know what else to do in that regard, aside from monitoring her.
Why are some rabbits so adamant on destroying their sites over and over?

Sorry can't offer any advice, but I just thought I would share a related funny story
We had Mopsy spayed she didn't get dissolvable sutures, so we had to take her back to get them out. The vet had gotten the equipment out of the package and we were finally getting her to behave while holding her for the vets. Then the vet said ''Oh. There's no sutures there..''
We had been checking her all the way through, she took them out herself! Thankfully at the right time , I can't tell if she just got lucky with here timing or she was a bit smarter than we thought :p
Hoping you can get her to heal alright!

There's really no reason I can see, for a vet to be recommending spraying antiseptic on a dried wound. Only reason I can see to apply antiseptic is if the wound had been messed with and had fresh tissue exposed that might introduce bacteria. Putting something on a scabbed over wound just draws your rabbits attention to it, leading to the likelihood she would mess with it. It's better to leave a scabbed wound alone and keep an eye out for signs of infection. I would leave it with the vest to protect it, then check regularly for signs of infection.

Latest posts

Back