Remove Nest or Not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaGal

Reaction score
As most of you know I have an intact female bun, Shirley.

Starting yesterday she has begun building a nest. Unlike last time where she just seemed to be occupied only for a few hours with building a nest this time it has lasted for two days and she is pulling fur.

She is not pregnant. She is building the nest in a corner of the litter box. Today is when I would normally be cleaning the litter box. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and clean the litter box or leave it a little while longer, another day or two.

The litter box is not smelling or anything I just prefer to clean it every other day as they usually dig in and it starts to really make a mess out of the cage as the horse stall pellets break down more.

I could just add some more litter avoiding the nest corner and giving them a fresh litter to sit on.

She has pulled a good bit of fur and I would hate to have her pulling even more if I get rid of her nest. She is inside but I imagine it is possible she could still feel chilly if she pulled much more.

Anyone have any experience with this and know which is the best option for my buns well being?

Yeah, don't want her pulling more fur. Maybe pull the nest out and set it aside, then clean the litter box and set the nest back in there.

I think perhaps her body is wanting to have a litter, if she is not spayed, as breeding is the role of the intact doe in nature.

If you want to have a litter with her & you think you would be able to sell or keep some of the young ones, then let her have a litter!

If you don't want that, then maybe it would be fairer to her to have that instinct removed by having her spayed & that would remove any frustration, she might be having over not being able to breed!

Hope this helps. I breed my Mini Lops from time to time & I quite enjoy it as an added interest to the hobby. Where I live I don't have any trouble selling them & my doe usually only has about 4 kits at a time.

I will not be breeding her. For myself, I believe there are too many unwanted and mistreated animals in the world already.

I cannot have her spayed at this time.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am glad I decided not to remove her nest until she seems to be past the urge to have one.

I think perhaps her body is wanting to have a litter, if she is not spayed, as breeding is the role of the intact doe in nature.

If you want to have a litter with her & you think you would be able to sell or keep some of the young ones, then let her have a litter!

If you don't want that, then maybe it would be fairer to her to have that instinct removed by having her spayed & that would remove any frustration, she might be having over not being able to breed!

Hope this helps. I breed my Mini Lops from time to time & I quite enjoy it as an added interest to the hobby. Where I live I don't have any trouble selling them & my doe usually only has about 4 kits at a time.

I dont recommend urging people to breed their rabbits especially in the US. There are too many people here that breed quality rabbits with known genetic and health history that there is no need to just breed any rabbit. I understand in Australia people can do it because there is a bigger demand for them but here in the states there are rabbits in shelters and rescues that deserve that home.

(I believe if you are going to breed than to do it for a reason whether that be for hobby such as exhibition or just too breed quality rabbits for pet homes where there is a strong demand for them)

Sorry to get off track. I agree with removing the nest to clean the box and then placing it back in when done. She will eventually stop and her hormones will settle

Denise just caught this, poor Shirley, hope she gets over this soon. I´m sometimes glad I´ve got all boys, don´t know if I could hack this, I remember when Ellie was doing it and it is amazing how much fur they can pull. How is Laverne taking it, bet he wonders what the heck is going on lol. Bet it is really interesting to watch, I love watching some of the things my three get up to.

Cleaning and putting the nest back in there seems the most logical thing to do to me and she then probably won´t pull any more fur.

Latest posts

Back