Relationship with rabbit declining

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethanyj32801

Reaction score
Hey all!

I've been struggling for a while with my bunny and thought it might be about time to get opinions from fellow rabbit owners.
My bunny Mochi is a 3 year old Lionhead doe. I've owned her since she was just a couple months old. She has a pen with her food and water, hay rack, litter box, and some things for her to climb on/through. For the longest time we've been like best friends. She happily took treats, was always looking for attention, and would lay down when I pet her. Over the last few months it seems like we've drifted apart. I'm sure it's mostly my fault; not spending as much time with her as I've been preparing for community college.
Now a days, she runs away from me and will sometimes thump when I approach her, even if I have food. She doesn't run around or binky much anymore. She recently had a checkup and is perfectly healthy. Part of me feels like she runs away because she thinks I'm going to pick her up. Since she's a Lionhead, she does need pretty frequent grooming sessions. I also give her a hairball medication (which she hates unfortunately). Admittedly, I probably do pick her up to sit on my lap than I should. I'm aware that rabbits are not cuddly creatures by nature, but sometimes it seems like she enjoys it?
I've tried sitting on the floor and hanging out, whether it be looking at my phone, reading, or drawing. Sometimes she comes up and investigates what I'm doing, which is progress I suppose.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how I can regain her trust? I miss the fun loving doe that I know she can be!

-JgqpU3fzL8ZsOuUt85OZXvpAxeHXK4bQo_VhzvFVVOdE_CkYhc9s7UVhWMGEx5VZIpqZljVS1pcVIq-Z5p2fNtsREZPRb5bOKOXFA8gNpZu4Se6nO0eHdyZhoEtKjVIHxnHljKJ5Cy88L0SPw71jsaG3t2DOvhzhlxr0U5eQAKSI45moI5NdwWvYy_QCUq4YcKpYqdQbWRrKD503NkTzacMFXIuvoDSKB1KmhIteLzilcl2cLgfS9rfNq8SSwWgarIh4QS3IgLrCWeld-IpzJZq7GOs64PsG3O5ofpvabPAThKMABViOJRwJlFgzjS9wjbS04lIbWCQZWELC8CH1SW1pcQu7GOfkEdAEaiiFPK5Elbp4bPN9--XWhQGNHjlik3ctT_MltBziDW5U4Ou-nx9Qbt1z_lHWbRS-egjUNwvE0AauRyq8tyAO0O1w08z-3eZYIkn9m6KNv6h9OiqP7_RgRn2Yi2TyX8fYjAliHRprA_09zmnErfVsYiNY6afszYr-LLXzM-Ej0qcz4UBt7lKg_rZRtScjeB7OhvFSnJn_vNhWlD221Zcx_JJOq1cOJLaEF7pqg-EutiyVD_uq4Ovgz-Zu64n3-anmrLsWig3lH_tVPapMSOMr5B1kdnYLFvAOs1mR_oOTrPXOdanhXEtngbSmuBN=w643-h620-no

It sounds like you answered your own question. ;)

Stop picking her up and just take time to sit with her. Let her approach you. When she does, do not pick her up but either ignore her or offer a treat. Then look for her cues to see if she is requesting petting (bowing head). If she isn't requesting pets, then just talk to her. Be patient. It may take time for her to stop associating you with the one who is always picking her up.

If she’s not spayed she can also be in a hormonal period. My doe will always become a grumpy lady and a tyrant during those times.

Myself also have the problem of always picking up my bunnies. I’m lucky that all my bunnies dosen’t care being picked up and cuddles. I can just pick any of them and they will just snuggle up for a couple of minutes or hours.

I know my bunnies love cuddle time when they are tired. Often after they have eaten their meal or played around. Maybe you can try approach her during those times :)

Latest posts

Back