Reintroducing bunnies after spay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynter

Reaction score
About sometimes in April 2020, we got a pair of bunnies who were siblings from the same litter, a girl and a boy, about 3 months old. The girl was a shy, quiet bunny whereas the boy was energetic and boisterous, and they got along pretty well. Eventually we had to separate them to prevent a pregnancy, and they were kept in adjoining enclosures. About a month ago the girl was spayed, and she has completely recovered and is back to normal. About a week ago the vet told us it was okay to allow them to be in the same enclosure, so we removed the barrier.
The boy immediately ran over to the girl and tried to hump her. I was afraid that it might stress out or scare the girl, so I kept a close eye on them, ready to swoop in if something went wrong. Surprisingly, the girl didn't mind it that much, and lay down while he crawled around her. Eventually, he gave up trying to mount her, but started following her like a shadow. When she started to eat from a bowl, he ran over to eat from the same bowl too. If she lay down somewhere, he had to lay down next to her and snuggle with her.
I'm monitoring them closely, and the girl doesn't seem to mind the constant attention. I'm a little worried that having the boy bugging her will stress her out. For now they're getting along pretty well, but should I be doing something differently? Adding more hidey-holes for the female, perhaps, or trying to keep him from hanging around her all the time?

It is usually best to neuter the male as well. Yes, her spay will prevent her from getting pregnant, but his hormones are still in full swing and will likely remain so. That means he'll never stop. It's actually kinder to both of them to have him neutered. It keeps him from living his life constantly seeking her out and that will then reduce the stress she may have from being constantly pestered. Otherwise she may eventually tire of it and lash out at him.

So fixing both rabbits is the recommendation when trying to bond two rabbits, regardless of their gender. The pairs that may work out when only one is fixed is usually when the male is fixed and the female intact.

In the meantime, try to create a hidey or cover that is small enough that the female can hide under but the male can't access her to mount her when she's in that hidey.

Latest posts

Back