Rehoming family friendly large male in RI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has not had rabbits before, but my friend and I are both experienced and have given her the basics, and a little more. I would consider her responsible. She does have a dog but the dog is very mellow, just likes to sleep and I think they would give the rabbit a room away from the dog, and she may be able to free roam. She needs to talk with her parents beforehand but they had previously discussed getting a rabbit, and if she's not able to, I could ask some other friends.

Don't forget to add a new landlord to your plan as well 🙃

Seriously, you don't have to feel guilty, I've read your first post and it really says how much you care. Just do what you think is best for you and your rabbit, hope there's no rush and you have time to think and talk to people. He is so handsome you will surely have many people wanting to adopt him.

Last edited:

Seriously, you don't have to feel guilty, I've read your first post and it really says how much you care. Just do what you think is best for you and your rabbit, hope there's no rush and you have time to think and talk to people. He is so handsome you will surely have many people wanting to adopt him.
I dont plan on rushing trust me and yes agree on the new land lord lol. You should have seen the confusion when i tried to explain rabbits are lagomorphs!😆

Thanks for the replies everyone I really appreciate the care and concern at a time like this. As guilty as i feel rehoming him I understand what youre saying about just finding him a companion its just not financially an option right now. That was my original intention but I have a new landlord who tacked on a monthly pet deposit because he considers rabbits a rodent who will chew and destroy property. If i get another that will add 400 to my monthly rent and im already working two jobs as it is. I dont know I have felt so guilty ever since posting this I might just take it down. I moved here from out of state for school and he is my best friend and companion i wouldnt know what to do without him. Id hate for him to think I abandoned him. Ive had him since he was 6 weeks old. How do I know what would happen to him? I'll have to seriously think about this some more. Thanks for your insight everyone. I really enjoy the community here.
You should never feel guilty when you yourself know that you're in a difficult situation and sometimes having to let go is better for the rabbit. I'm not trying to say that letting go in this situation is better per se, but the fact that you've reached out to a community like ours to see if anyone would take your baby in is a huge step. You could have easily just let the rabbit go at a shelter and walked away but you didn't! Think of it that way.

What about if you play music and the TV during the times you're away? That's what I do with my girl. I play her some classical music and she also has the TV. Sure, she may not get the physical affection until I get home, but the sounds of the TV gives her that sense that "someone" is there with her. She's been doing great so far that's why I've been prolonging getting her a friend.

That would be awesome if you could give him a home he'd have the best life possible!
I'd vouch for you, maybe you could meet somewhere halfway or something? It's a really long way to go!
Aw @zuppa you're so sweet lol. Thanks for vouching for me! With the new COVID protocols, especially being that I'm in California, I would have to do the 2 week quarantine since I'm in one of the higher risk states so it may not be feasible unless the exchange is done at the airport which would probably stress the little guy out.

I second getting a new landlord! haha

I am interested in taking your rabbit if he is a full male. I need a buck to breed with my American Chinchilla. While I am a kind, thoughtful, and responsible human I would not be keeping him as a pet. So if that is really important to you, which is totally understandable, you may want to seek another. I can promise a clean, well designed hutch and a wide variety of forage. I live in Delaware and am an essential worker able to cross state lines.

I am interested in taking your rabbit if he is a full male. I need a buck to breed with my American Chinchilla. While I am a kind, thoughtful, and responsible human I would not be keeping him as a pet. So if that is really important to you, which is totally understandable, you may want to seek another. I can promise a clean, well designed hutch and a wide variety of forage. I live in Delaware and am an essential worker able to cross state lines.

No offense but the OP made it pretty clear that the rabbit would need to go to a loving home who would love him as part of the family. This is a difficult decision to be made, I really doubt that they’ll just give up their rabbit to be a breeding tool.

He does love music, classical piano the most! Thanks for the idea.
You’re welcome! I think as long as it “sounds” like people are around, your little guy should be okay. I had worried about my girl being lonely but she’s doing fine and dandy!

You’re welcome! I think as long as it “sounds” like people are around, your little guy should be okay. I had worried about my girl being lonely but she’s doing fine and dandy!
Youre probably right hes just seemed pretty sad with me gone most of the day and night. He runs up kind of hooting/grunting when i come in. Does your rabbit ever make noises like that?

I'm going to take some more time to think about it but I appreciate your offer.

I'm hoping you can keep him! And yes, I wouldn't give him up as a breeding tool, when you stated you wanted him to go to a loving home :D Totally up to you though

Also if you want to know more about my friend:
She's 13, pretty mature
Has one younger brother who is 11-12, he's chill
Two parents
And a huge house and an even bigger backyard LOL
They have one dog, she's sweet and they take great care of her

Also if you want to know more about my friend:
She's 13, pretty mature
Has one younger brother who is 11-12, he's chill
Two parents
And a huge house and an even bigger backyard
They have one dog, she's sweet and they take great care of her
Thanks Remy! your friend sounds nice. What town in RI? I left some music on for him tonight while im doing an over night shift so we will see how it goes. He has some stuffed friends too but im sure he knows they are well stuffed lol

I left some music on for him tonight while im doing an over night shift so we will see how it goes. He has some stuffed friends too but im sure he knows they are well stuffed lol
I also leave DVD player with their fav movie on repeat either with TV on or just as soundtrack. My rabbits love old Peter Rabbit movie or anything with David Attenborough they just love his voice and generally something without shouting etc, I wouldn't use Jurassic Park for instance they like it generally but are getting scared with T-Rex so something relaxing with people talking something educational etc.

Beatrix Potter The World of Peter Rabbit and Friends

Plant documentary

Last edited:
I also leave DVD player with their fav movie on repeat either with TV on or just as soundtrack. My rabbits love old Peter Rabbit movie or anything with David Attenborough they just love his voice and generally something without shouting etc, I wouldn't use Jurassic Park for instance they like it generally but are getting scared with T-Rex so something relaxing with people talking something educational etc.

Thats honestly adorable. I also love david attenboroughs voice it is extremely relaxing. Ive never seen him pay attention to the tv but I'll try that next time. Worked 11pm-7am just got home and he was still stretched out near the speakers so I guess he liked having the music on. I didn't put it too loud. A nice change from him hiding under my bed the last couple weeks pulling his fur. My turn to stretch out now lol

Latest posts

Back