Red New Zealands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
I've decided to work with a trio/pair of Red New Zealands since I adore the color alot and any unsold offspring can be used for other purposes.

I got my buck and doe and this is one of the offspring of the recent. I can't get the doe to pose, she won't sit still(still working on it!) and the buck I've gotten some of him attempting to sit and pose for me but they aren't uploaded yet.

Sorry my hand is there, that's the only way to keep the little buck still.

P5090057.jpg

P5090058.jpg

P5090060.jpg

P5090056.jpg

I'm getting this breed up and going while my mini rex, dutch and English Spot herds dissapate. I had too many breeds and had to focus in on just two, I chose New Zealands and Holland Lops. My velveteens are just hanging out i'm growing a litter out to see what they look like as adults before going any farther with them.

Ideas? Tips from other New Zealand breeders??

EDIT: I meant to add he's 7 weeks old. NOt the best time to eval a young rabbit, i know

Hey! I didn't know you were on RH, I saw your post there...neat! Anyhow, I like this buck a lot, he looks very compact and is a pretty color too.

Yep, I'm in both places, RH and RO and RTiO. I'm thinking of actuallytaking the whole litter up and showing them and their father just to see how they do.

That's a pretty good looking Red.

When selecting your keepers, try choosing for body type first, fur quality second (dense fur is better), and color is third.

Because body type is takes the longest to improve and once you choose the best bodies you can then work on fur and color.

Taking them to a rabbit show will be interesting. Reds do not usually do well against the whites, but at least you will be able to see and compare for body type against the whites.

My lovely wife Tracy was a breeder of NZ Red, White, and Black. Reds were her favorite.

FYI, Reds were the original variety of New Zealand and I think they are a Heritage Variety, having been developed in USA in the early 1900s.

Have a good day!

Thank you - everyone- Rabbit Geek expecially! I"m importing a few more new zealands, both brokens and I have a black doe as well.

I'm going to give it a wing, and work from here.

I think his coloring is nice but he looks a little flat on the rump. His hips seem to stick out a little much right now too, but that should correct a he gets older and the rest of his body fills out. Looks well rounded over the topline. Would like to hear what the judge says.

Latest posts

Back