Red ants? And bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
We've been putting the bunnies in their pens in the garden most days last week, but didn't over the weekend so much as it was rainy. Yesterday, I discovered that our lawn was covered in little ant hills, and it was red ants coming out of them. LOTS of red ants.

Soooo, I'm guessing that putting buns on the ground with ants nests not a good idea? If I remember correctly red ants bite right?

How can I get rid of them, without poisoning the ground and making it dangerous for the buns to eat the grass?!!

Help!! :shock:

Jen xx

Thanks guys! Will a few days really make the grass ok for them? I worried it might take a lot longer than that!

Any ideas of stuff that I can use (UK brands obviously lol!) cos I always find that the stuff we've used in the past doesn't work! Or I guess I should go to a garden centre and find out maybe! :)

My husband usually searches online and reads reviews. You can either do that or just go to the garden centre and ask. That way you can also tell them you have buns and how to wait, etc.

:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

They just wont leave!! :X

We've got some 'bait stations' and put them down, also ant killing powder, and put it on all the ant hills... the hills that I put the powder on, all the ants have died.... But...

There's about 20 more ant hills today.. Seriously big ones... I've been pouring boiling water on them as well and more just crop up somewhere else. There isn't a square meter of our lawn that doesn't have an ants nest in it...

I don't know what to do! The poor bunnies can't go outside, and short of digging up the whole lawn (which I'm not sure our landlord would be best pleased about), I'm running out of ideas!

We were thinking of calling a company to come in and get rid of them for us, but that would cost a lot of money... I'm not sure, if being a rented house, it's our landlord's responsibility to pay for the cost or not....

:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

Tried getting a hose and SOAKING the whole garden? then you just need to leave the garden to go back to normal and dont have to worry about pesticide with the rabbits

Hmmm... maybe look online for some tips.. someone might be able to tell you how the professionals do it and that could save money. Other than that i'm not really sure!

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

diatomaceous earth. Kills ants...safe for buns.

I have a rather extensive article on the use and safety of the stuff, If I had your email I would send it...too big for here.

Below is a report on Diatomaceous Earth (DE) that I have copied as a service to my readers and is a result of my studies concerning Diatomaceous Earth (DE). I have no permission from the FDA or the USDA to make any claims concerning Diatomaceous Earth (DE). These claims are from the my searches of the internet and from literature I have in my possession. I am using Diatomaceous Earth (DE) and I have seen good results but I haven't used it long enough to prove all of these claims and I can't guarantee you will share the same results. I do have the CFR numbers showing FDA and USDA approval for using Diatomaceous Earth (DE) as a feed additive. I have been studying feeds and feeding for some time now and, about 6 months ago, I started learning all I could about diatomaceous earth. This is a natural pesticide and has no ill effects when used with animals. Be sure to get the food grade diatomaceous earth because it has been approved by the FDA and USDA. (The pool grade and filter grade have not been approved as a feed additive and it may be harmful to use them and they will not accomplish the desired results) This will kill all internal and external parasites, aid in feed conversion, control flies by killing the larvae in manure, control odor, and promote better health and egg laying. This will also kill other insects in your garden, orchard, home, and lawn. It is great for controlling ants. I recently became a dealer for DE because it is all natural and there were no dealers in my area. This kills insects and parasites by cutting their exoskeleton and they dehydrate. It contains no poisons.

Make sure the DE you use meets World Health Organization (WHO) safety standards. WHO cautions that DE with a crystalline silica content over three percent (3%) is dangerous for ingestion by humans or animals. Safe Solutions, Inc. DE has less than 1% free silica. Swimming pool DE ranges from 60% to 70% free silica.

Quote from Steve Tvedten's "The Bug Stops Here":

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (DE) - Diatomaceous earth is a mineral product mined from the fossilized silica shell remains of unicellular or colonized algae from the class Bacillariaphyceae, better known as diatoms. There are many different companies that sell DE. The Author recommends the product sold by Safe Solutions, Inc. Most registered DE has pyrethrin and pipernoyl butoxide (PBO). Some unregistered (without pyrethrin and PBO) food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) is safe enough to be eaten, yet will kill most crawling insects. Be sure you have the best quality. Make sure the DE you use meets World Health Organization (WHO) safety standards.

Yes, you should call an exterminator and get an estimate, at least. Then call your landlord and tell them the problem and how much it will cost. Then you can work out if you'll pay and get reimbursed. Don't go and buy the diamatecous earth just yet as you may have to invest a lot to cover your whole yard. Who knows, the exteriminator may be cheaper than you think.

Don't let the buns out until it's safe. And any colored ant can bite. I got bit by a small black one on my ankle while gardening in flip flops and it was really gross.

Latest posts

Back