Recovery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyann

Have courage and be kind.
Reaction score
Can anyone offer some advice to a worried mom? My dwarf angora had dentistry yesterday and they found an abscess at the gumline on a molar. Tooth not mobile, hoping for a good recovery.
Alf was picked up at 6pm last night and I was told he was eating up a storm. Well, he isnt eating at home. Over last night I gave him 15 mls of Critical care, mixed 1:2 with water. He had had three meals of that to 3pm today. We let him hop around this morning but he really isnt eating his hay or pellets at all. Up to 9 am he had 175 small poops but almost nothing since. Ive just syringed him some water, about 5mls. I called the vet and they said it can take a couple of days for them to recover esp. after surgery.
He is on Metoclopramide 5 days, Ranitidine 5 days, Metacam 14 days, Metronidazole and Sulfatrim untill next check up in 3 - 4 weeks.
Should I be worried about him not eating yet? Its been about 24 hours or so. He had a dental in July but we can't remember how fast he recovered and I'm worried.
Thanks!

I wouldn't think it unusual for there to be pain affecting eating following a dental procedure. The more extensive the procedure, the more pain there is likely to be. I think soft foods like the critical care, are going to be the least painful to eat. I would continue with the critical care, though make sure he's getting enough to keep gut motility as normal as possible. Or soak some of his pellets in warm water to make a mush, and see if he might eat those on his own. I would expect a gradual improvement over the next few days. If not then definitely something to discuss with your vet.

I forgot to say thanks. He is eating pellets, 1 tbsp a day and some hay. He used to eat hay like crazy. I think some of his meds may be upseting his tummy or he is being fussy about treats and pellets. We are feeding him 4 kinds of Oxbow hay, not Alfalfa. Ill keep trying to increase his hay consumption back to where it was.

I forgot to say thanks. He is eating pellets, 1 tbsp a day and some hay. He used to eat hay like crazy. I think some of his meds may be upseting his tummy or he is being fussy about treats and pellets. We are feeding him 4 kinds of Oxbow hay, not Alfalfa. Ill keep trying to increase his hay consumption back to where it was.
How is he doing now??

I cant figure out how to post a ? So I am posting on this thread. Hope you dont mind.

I want to fly with my rabbit but I am afraid the air pressure will hurt his ears. Anyone with info on flying with a rabbit? He will be in my lap, not in cargo.

Alf seems to be making a recovery. He is finally eating normally and pooping normally. I continue to worry, he did have an abscess in his molar. He is maintaining his weight and is very active, at least as much as he was before. We have a great vet open 24/7 so that helps. He is on his meds for 4 weeks at least and going in for a che k up in 3 weeks. Thanks so much for asking. Oh, I fed him C.C. for about four days 2-3 times a day, then twice a day. When he was eating pellets normally I just fed him pellets twice a day ( he normally only gets 1 tbsp in the morning) He seems to nap more but that could be the drugs or the dark days. As long as he maintains his weight and poops, I'll be happy.

Alf seems to be making a recovery. He is finally eating normally and pooping normally. I continue to worry, he did have an abscess in his molar. He is maintaining his weight and is very active, at least as much as he was before. We have a great vet open 24/7 so that helps. He is on his meds for 4 weeks at least and going in for a che k up in 3 weeks. Thanks so much for asking. Oh, I fed him C.C. for about four days 2-3 times a day, then twice a day. When he was eating pellets normally I just fed him pellets twice a day ( he normally only gets 1 tbsp in the morning) He seems to nap more but that could be the drugs or the dark days. As long as he maintains his weight and poops, I'll be happy.
Yay!
It's so good he's getting better!

So today, Christmas, Alf is very quiet. We weighed him and he gained a little. Also he continues to produce about 300-325 poops a day. Our vet suggests we count poops. 300 is normal for Alf. He just hides behind the curtains or chairs. Mind you, Alf is not ever very active but tonight he is very quiet. He is still on metacam, two antibiotics for his tooth abscess. His temp is 38.6c, so normal for him. He ate his pellets and wafer this morning and takes treats but not much hay each day. He is getting more pellets and a couple of wafers. Maybe he is being spoiled about his hay. He used to eat non stop hay.
Should I worry? He has an appt on Jan 8th, thats in two weeks.

Latest posts

Back