Recovering from Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
I'd like to dedicate this thread to Bun Jovi. She's been such a little trouper throughout her terrible ordeal, but we would also like to have this be a spot for you to post your experiences so that others might benefit to help prevent and treat. There may be poop pictures attached, but only for reference.

Back story: Last Monday (11/24) we took Jovi to the vet for not eating or pooping. She was in stasis. She was xrayed and found to be impacted by a large hairball. We immediately started infant gas drops at 1 mg per hour for 3 hours. Vet sent us home with meds and a gel based cat laxative. We were also given a recipe for a slurry before the critical care arrived. We gave gentle but firm belly massages. We spoon and syringe fed her meds for seven days. She is starting to make wet poos. The first was pretty mucussy. There is one dose left of gut motility drug, I've read that it may be well to extend the length of days given, however she's starting to make soft feces, the kind that smear on the fur and don't smell so nice. She nibbles choice greens. Her choice, so we offer everything we have. She's bored with the whole syringe feeding thing and just lets it all fall from her mouth.

Now about that stink. Would a warm butt bath feel good you think? Would this be too stressful for her? I'm not an advocate of bathing bunnies, but for a normally self cleaning animal, she's gotten behind. Maybe she doesn't appreciate her own smell.

I used to give my rabbit miss bun butt baths when she had the moist stinky poops. She didn't mind too much. Just make sure you dry that poor bum after as much as you can and if possible just use plain old warm water. Glad your bun is slowly coming around, I know how stressful it can be.

Thank you :) it really feels good to know when you're helping. This morning Jovi got her butt bath all the way up to her middlings. That girl was so stinky! I cranked up the heat and gave her a blow dry. She was very cooperative. She's passing what appears to be smelly cat poop.

After her bath, she tucked into a nice bowl of greens fresh from the Krogers. She had some mint that I found for .50 cents yay! That should make her tummy feel better. A thin slice of banana with peel to firm things up.

View attachment 1417629346837.jpg

View attachment 1417629358446.jpg

Poor sweet Jovi, but I'm so glad to read that she's on the road to recovery! She's received such dedicated care from you. :)

Dimi seems to go into stasis every May when she is undergoing a very large molting (shedding). She has a very thick coat. Anyway, it is my understanding that a "hairball" in a rabbit is not the true cause but rather an after effect of slowing gastric activity. Worse offenders are feeding alfalfa pellets, any grain like cheerios, junky treats from the pet store, etc. Also lack of activity. My rabbit gets unlimited timothy hay because that is the one she likes. I have tried different hays, but whatever she will eat, that's what she will get. She also gets lots of leafy herbs/greens. The best for Dimi are arugula, cilantro, italian parsley, kale... rinsed with lots of water to make them nice and wet. I also give her a tablespoon of canned plain 100% pumpkin twice a day, but she is a big girl. That may be a bit much for most rabbits. Brushing is very important, as the hair can cause issues.

When we notice smaller poops or a decrease, my husband does this tummy vibration thing. I have not been able to master it so far, but she does seem "gurgly" when in beginning stages. Infant gas drops are great, and the tummy vibration is even better. If things progress and she stops eating her greens, we syringe water carefully until we can get her into vet for subcutaneous fluids. Rabbits dehydrate fast. At this point, we start the metacam (for pain- they will shut down and stop eating/drinking if in pain) and the Reglan for motility. Keep in mind that the Reglan is light sensitive and loses efficacy quickly. The bottle should be given in another amber bottle, and kept out of light. Don't rely on Reglan to be effective very long. I store it in fridge in amber bottle wrapped in foil to protect from light. Even so, it doesn't last more than several months and you will need to get a new RX.
The best thing after starting treatment is to get them eating. They need to eat to poop. Those tempting herbs/greens I mentioned, with water remaining on them after rinse, are a very good start. And fresh hay always.

I have never heard of giving a rabbit cat hairball meds for stasis. Neither of my vets, one a well-known rabbit expert ~1hr away, has ever recommended this.

She didn't make it. Her xray showed a large impaction of hair. This is why for the cat gel. Bun Jovi looked and felt better, but so suddenly took a wrong turn. Jovi has binkied over the rainbow bridge. We're devastated. Ill post her official rainbow bridge notice tomorrow.

When Dimi had her first stasis, they did an x ray. They said that if there was a large impaction or "bolus" that the only thing to do would be surgery, and that was not very successful. I was told that giving motility drugs with an impaction was not a good idea. Fortunately, she had not formed one, just had a stasis condition. Motility drugs (Reglan) were given.

Latest posts

Back