Recovering from second bout of GI stasis in 4 months

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howlandbutterbinky

Reaction score
Hello, I a currently have 2 bunnies a larger 4.5 lb dutch, and and 2.5 lb netherland dwarf. They are both bonded and are absolute best friends but the bigger one (Howl) has had to take two emergency trips to the vet from December to just recently which he is just getting over. I wanted to get more opinions on how to complete the process of recovery in GI stasis, and how to prevent it in the future. The vet believes what caused it the first time was likely too many pellets. I cut way back on the pellets and the second time he was diagnosed with have tooth overgrowth that could be causing him pain from not eating hay. He is a VERY picky Hay eater and I believe he might be stealing some of pellets from his soul mate (Butter) and eating her greens as well. My first question is does anyone have advice on cutting out pellets all together? Also Howl eats very quickly so he will often finish his share of greens and get into butters. How strict do you need to be with green measurements? Do leafy greens ever assist in causing stasis or are they generally as important at preventing it as Hay. My vet said I could give him small amounts of alfalfa hay if he is refusing Timothy because they tend to like that more, But is alfalfa hay dangerous for them in small amounts? I am a very new bunny owner I adopted them both in October of 2020 so too see one of my rabbits hurting so much twice I just want him to get better and hopefully never allow it to happen again. I also thought an interesting note was the smaller one has never even had so much as a misshaped poop. My last question is in regards to critical care. I want to get him off it as soon as possible (he hates it and stresses him out immensely) in hopes that he will start grinding down his molars better without pellets but how do you know if it is too soon too stop critical care. He still has misshaped poops, soft stools, and I catch him munching on hay occasionally but he really wants his leafy greens. Should I give him more greens and less critical care?

Latest posts

Back