Recieved sad news yesterday

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandhills_rabbits

Reaction score
My little sister bought a baby bunny (8 weeksold) two weeks ago. She called me right after she got him, and told meall about the sweetie. My mom was down in Indiana visiting my sis, andmy mom helped pick the bunny out.

Flash forward to Sunday: My little sister called in a panic, becausefor the previous couple days her baby bun was having diarrhea, andseems lethargic. She asked for any advice I could give, until she couldget the baby to the vet. I looked up all the info i could here onRabbits Only and emailed it to her, and also called her back and talkedto her about what I had found out.

On valentine's day she came home from her internship, and her boyfriendwas at her apartment waiting with flowers. I guess while she was gone,her bunny had passed on.

I feel so bad for her.... she had been wanting a bunny forever, and Ihad actually reserved my Holland Lop, Hopscotch, for my sister. Myparents wouldnt let Laura (my sis) take the bunny back with her toIndiana, so I kept it.

When the little fellow passed on yesterday, he was still un-named. Shewas waiting to find the perfect name for him by taking the time to getto know his personality fully.

Rest In Peace, little boy.... I know your mommy loved you while she had you, and I know you will be greatly missed.

Annie

Oh no. It just breaks my heart everytime a bunny dies. :(

That's such a shame. I'm with Lissaabout losing any rabbits. You'd think we'd be used to it bynow, but you never do get there.

I hope you directed her to The Rainbow Bridgepoem.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

I really hopeyour sistergets another rabbit.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
That's such a shame. I'm with Lissa about losing any rabbits.You'd think we'd be used to it by now, but you never do get there.

I hope you directed her to The Rainbow Bridge poem.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

I really hope your sister gets another rabbit.

-Carolyn

I hope she does, too. I told her that I'd prefer that she not getanother petstore bunny though (at least not from that same petstore). Idid tell my mother that I've got Cupcake (one of the two orangishcolored babies) that I could give her, as long as my mom would bewilling to take it with her the next time she drives down there.

From the sounds of it, my little sister wont want to wait over a monthto get a new bunny though. I'm thinking that she'll probably getanother one here shortly.

I'm going to have to email her a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem. I think she'd greatly benefit from reading it.

Thanks, Carolyn & Lissa for your posts :)
I posted about the little boy because even though he was only with mysister for two weeks, I know he was loved. I just wanted to honor hismemory by posting about him, so others would know about his tragicpassing.

Don't know where she got the rabbit, but I'd tell her to get one from a breeder if she wants a baby.

-Carolyn

Your poor sister, what a shock to come hometo. I agree nothing prepares you for the heartache that a petdeath causes you.

I wonder if he had something in his system that made him poorly, while still in the care of the petshop?

I think it would be a better idea for her to take one of yours, atleast she will be rest assured that the bun is healthy. I canunderstand her not wanting to wait. Poor thing.

Send our love from all of us at RO!

Vickie

I'm so sorry.

Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

We lost little Copper in much the same way. Except we only had him fora few days before he got so sick. Their little systems just can'thandle it when they get to a certain point with the dehydration. I'mpretty sure that Copper was about 6-8 weeks old, but it's hard to tellwhen they come from the pet store with very little background info. Thevet said that the store should not have had the bun for sale and shewrote a letter that eventually prompted the store to refund our moneyand cover the vet costs. The vet had also discovered a heart defect andsome kind of mass in his abdomen.

We've gotten two more buns from pet stores, but we are very cautious. Ivisited the stores several times and waited at least a week ortwobefore considering any bun from a store. I'd rather takethe chance of someone else taking them over not observing them for atime.

Copper will be keeping the little guy company over the Rainbow Bridge until your sister sees him again.

~Jim

Carolyn wrote:
Don't know where she got the rabbit, but I'd tell her to get one from a breeder if she wants a baby.

-Carolyn

I completely agree. I guess when the baby was purchased from thepetstore she was able to buy a pet guarantee for $1.25 that increasedthe amount of time the petstore would guarantee the animal.Suppossedly, she is able to get a new one from 30 days of the originalpurchase date if anything should happen to the rabbit (which obviouslyit did). I really dont think she should get another bunny from thatpetstore though.... even though it would be free. If her bunny was sickfrom something that originated at that store, any other animal she gotfrom there could be in the same situation. I think she should see ifshe can get her money (or at least some of it) reimbursed to her, andthen she should find a reputable breeder in her area.

Annie

Your right, she is best not to go there again. Itmight not have been linked and may have been "just one of thosethings", but it isn't worth the upset if it was an illness that anotherrabbit could have from there. It would be so much heatache again forher to lose another one. I have just seen your other post and I hopesomeone knows of a breeder near her.

Best of luck to her

Vickie

JimD wrote:
I'm so sorry.

Thoughts and prayers are with you all.

We lost little Copper in much the same way. Except we only had him fora few days before he got so sick. Their little systems just can'thandle it when they get to a certain point with the dehydration. I'mpretty sure that Copper was about 6-8 weeks old, but it's hard to tellwhen they come from the pet store with very little background info. Thevet said that the store should not have had the bun for sale and shewrote a letter that eventually prompted the store to refund our moneyand cover the vet costs. The vet had also discovered a heart defect andsome kind of mass in his abdomen.

We've gotten two more buns from pet stores, but we are very cautious. Ivisited the stores several times and waited at least a week or twobefore considering any bun from a store. I'd rather take the chance ofsomeone else taking them over not observing them for a time.

Copper will be keeping the little guy company over the Rainbow Bridge until your sister sees him again.

~Jim

Thanks Jim for the wonderful post! I am so sorry that you lost copperin much the same manner. It's just so heartbreaking losing a little onelike that.

Your comment about Copper keeping the little guy company over therainbow bridge until my sister sees him again brought tears to myeyes..... What a wonderful thought that is :)

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
Thanks Jim for the wonderful post! I am so sorry that youlost copper in much the same manner. It's just so heartbreaking losinga little one like that.

Your comment about Copper keeping the little guy company over therainbow bridge until my sister sees him again brought tears to myeyes..... What a wonderful thought that is :)
Hi Annie,

I'll remember the day forever.

My daughter came home from school and found him so sick. She took careof him until my wife could get home to take him to the vet. My twodaughters and my wife took him to the vet before I got home and theycalled me to tell me that the vet recommended putting him down. Theywere crying, I was crying. The vet was very good and I trust hercompletely. I remember that I was thinking that I had to get homebefore the wife and kids so I could clean up Copper's stuff and put thecage in the garage so they wouldn't see everything and start cryingagain. When I got home I was fine until I found a towel with two tinysoiled bunnie prints on it...that was it... I cried the whole time Iwas trying to clean up.

I have to believe that they are waiting over the Bridge for us. Tothink that they are happy, healthy, have lots of company, and arewaiting for us....brings a smile to my face. Imagine them all waitingto greet you and give you kisses.

:~) Jim

JimD wrote:
I'll remember the day forever.

My daughter came home from school and found him so sick. She took careof him until my wife could get home to take him to the vet. My twodaughters and my wife took him to the vet before I got home and theycalled me to tell me that the vet recommended putting him down. Theywere crying, I was crying. The vet was very good and I trust hercompletely. I remember that I was thinking that I had to get homebefore the wife and kids so I could clean up Copper's stuff and put thecage in the garage so they wouldn't see everything and start cryingagain. When I got home I was fine until I found a towel with two tinysoiled bunnie prints on it...that was it... I cried the whole time Iwas trying to clean up.

I have to believe that they are waiting over the Bridge for us. Tothink that they are happy, healthy, have lots of company, and arewaiting for us....brings a smile to my face. Imagine them all waitingto greet you and give you kisses.

:~) Jim

Oh my gosh.... the way you told us about Copper was so moving. I feelvery badly whenever any animal dies, but to hear how deeply Copper'spassing affected everyone in your family was extremely touching. I amso sorry that your family had to go through that. At least there iscomfort in knowing that dearly departed pets will be waiting for us toobe with them someday.

Latest posts

Back