Rebonding mum & kits *1year*. After tragic death of lola, the father & soulmate too mum. Please read

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corinne dodds

Reaction score
Hello, so unfortunately my male rabbit & the father too the 3 kits *now 1 year old* passed away in the emergency vets last night. It was the most horrific thing I've ever seen.
So when the 3 kits were born & about 4/5 weeks old we started interacting dad with them too, he was great with them.. then one day started too be aggressive towards them, so we made the decision too keep the 3 kits *binky, blippi & peppa* when they were 12 weeks together & let Daisy & lola be back together.

All was fantastic until my boy got GI stasis & died very quickly in the vets last night, the vet thinks it was a blood clot (he had an abscess on his neck which was getting treated with antibiotics & was due too get an op on Wednesday) with how fast he passed (within a minute, with all normal vitals), so now my daisy is just looking so lost & lonely.

I read abit up on it & it was said too rebond her sooner rather than later. So last night we let them all out in the living room, daisy was definitely the dominant one, the other 3 *her actual littler* were very submissive too her, there was a little fur flying but they were cleaning, laid down & ignoring each other too (good signs right?).

So, am I doing this too soon? I'd hate myself if I thought I wasn't giving her the right too be sad/greive. She genuinely did look much happier being in the mix last night with the others than she is on her own.. she has never been on her own. So if anyone has any input in if I'm doing the right thing, what too watch out for, doing it the right way etc.

She has been on her own all day today again, in her pen.. she just sits in the corner on the blanket looking lonely, I've added 2 teddy bears too make her feel more comfortable. I can't get them all out through the day as I have 2 boisterous children. I just want the best for them.

They do all live in a separated shed, lola & daisy were in one side & binky, blippi & pepper in the other. It's all kitted out, I just couldnt bare the thought of her being in one side on her own, that's why I've kept her in, she is eating, drinking, weeing & pooping.

Thank you for any input, please don't put anything overly nasty as my heart can't take it, I'm still a crying mess over my baby passing! 😢

OK. First off their should be no bonding or anything until all of them are spayed and neutered or this isn't gonna work and once they are spayed and neutered you have to wait a month for the hormones to slow down 😁

Thank you so much for the reply. I forgot too say, the 2 males are already neutered. Would you still keep her away from the others? Or would you try too bond her too one of the males? Or just a new friend all together.

if the mom is spayed and so are the males then I would try to bond one or maybe both to her, if she is not spayed then dont try to bond anybody with her cause rabbits can hold lifelong grudges if they get into a big fight. If she is not spayed but you still want to bond some bunnys you could try to bond the males together but females are really hard to bond with eachother because they are very territorial so trying to bond a girl and a girl will be very difficult or impossible even if they are both spayed

They, are seemly all getting along so far. I've had them all in the living room. Now moved them too this.. ill put pictures.
She took too the female first surprisingly, they are snuggled up sleeping with each other but they are eating together now.. no fur pulling. This is good signs right? im sleeping in the living room next too them, for a week or so. The 2 females will also be getting spayed but yes, males are neutered. Thank you for the input, I'm all ears. X

Attachments

• 16302701451175932791877877725239.jpg
    16302701451175932791877877725239.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210829_203401.jpg
    20210829_203401.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210829_201040.jpg
    20210829_201040.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 16302702193425982603725194179250.jpg
    16302702193425982603725194179250.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 6
All is fantastic 🤞. All in together for the past 2 days.. night & day. No fights, pulling, chasing etc. They are all snuggling, grooming e/other, eating & drinking with e/other. Im so worried about every little thing with watching my boy pass over. Could you tell me if this poop looks normal, this is just a mixture of all 4 rabbits. I'm an anxious Annie. 🙃.

Attachments

• 20210831_233017.jpg
    20210831_233017.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210831_233006.jpg
    20210831_233006.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 1
Looking good! If you notice they are more golden then normal it might be because your feeding them timothy hay (which is perfectly fine) If you see them in strings that means you need to brush them more often and make sure their not squishy but also make sure their not rock solid 😅

Latest posts

Back