Rebonding after neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amylynne61473

Reaction score
Help. I have a 1 year old lion Head bunny who lost his bonded brother in September due to sepsis after tooth abscess surgery. He was very lonely after his brother passed and I think he missed him maybe even more than I did even though I was devastated by him dying in arms. After a month of us both being lonely and depressed I decided to get a new young bunny for is both to bond with. After 2 weeks of being used to each other they bonded well. When the new baby reached 6 months I had him neutered. A week after the neuter they started fighting and I had to have them separately since. I've kept them in cages side by side so they can get used to each other's new smell and only let them out 1 at a time. I tried to let them play last week and they attached each other. They seem interested in each other sitting by the others cage when out and sniffing through the bars. I'm just afraid to let them out together again never they could really hurt each other. I'm also just so sad Brevard they loved each other so much before and I got Reese purposely to keep Pookey company. Will they ever be friends again? How long should I wait before trying again?

A week after the neuter, they should not have been together. How long has it been now since the neuter? It can 6-8 weeks after surgery for those hormones to fully dissipate. Not until then should they be interacting. Being side by side, but separate is just fine.

When the time comes to bond them, the space should be neutral - some place neither rabbit has been before. By contrast, letting them out in the space that each considers his own, they may feel the need to defend 'their' territory. This is why neutral space is key.

You can read more about the bonding process here.

Latest posts

Back