Rebirth of the Phoenix from Ashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw, Michelle! I know exactly how you feel, and I'm sure Doc can relate to Phoenix. It really is heartbreaking to see one bun really ready for some love and the other being stubborn. And then it's hard to not think the stubborn bun is just being a meanie! Yours have come so far at this point, though, I'm sure they'll continue and Hippo will give in. Maybe Hippo's just hit a plateau in his own personal process for now. Just think of how far he's come with Phoenix, stay positive!

Best of luck at the dealership! I'm sure you will have a fabulous first day! :)

You know what, I feel crazy posting this, but I worked SUCH long hours at the dealership all week... I don't think Hippo is just in the right home with us. I feel horrible saying that but I'm thinking about his well being. His energy level does not fit into this hectic household, Phoenix is an everyone's bun sort of girl, she does not get stressed at all with noises and change. In fact I think she loves change. Poor Hipster does not get all the lovin that he needs all the time because my cleaning stresses him out, Phoenix's nipping stresses him out also, he's always grunting at everything because he's afraid. I am trying my best to make him feel comfortable. Something I have realized about Phoenix's nipping is that she does not nip him because she's being aggressive, that's just the way she communicates. She has to nip everything, me, skin, clothes, pillows, carpet, table, wall... she needs to have her mouth on everything at all times for a quick taste, and he takes it in a negative way.
Hippogryff is a very pleasant rabbit in the right environment. He needs a calm home where he can be perhaps free run and MAYBE with a submissive rabbit. I feel bad for Phoenix too because she's not a spiteful rabbit, she's the sweetest little angel and she is SO high energy she needs to be free run. This experience has really taught me that she does not care to be with another bunny, infact, she LOVES my company and is constantly following me and running around. If Cesar Milan has taught me anything (and I don't believe this applies to dogs only) the first thing you need to look for when bringing a friend into your home is their energy level and assess that with your own energy level, and everyone elses.

This is very frustrating and upsetting to me, but realistically I'm only going to start working longer days if I want to succeed and I'm not going to have the time to bond two dominant bunnies. Atleast this has made me realize that I am no longer looking for a second bun, just one free run crazy rabbit in this home. I've already emailed the adoptions co-ordinator and let her know how I'm feeling, I just hope she can help me out with this without judging me. Believe me, I would love to have two adorable rabbits but they certainly wouldn't get all the roaming time they deserve and I don't want a constantly caged rabbit! :(

Yes, don't feel bad about yourself Michelle. You have tried for so long now and and if Hippo isn't happy than you are most likely right.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out I know it must be hard. I'm sure the adoption counselors will help him find a great home, and he is a handsome bunny so hopefully he will be adopted out to a loving home. Please don't feel bad about yourself, you have done all you can for this little guy but at the moment it isn't practical to have him in the house.

Yes, how is the dealership going? Everything sounds great so far! :)

I'm sorry as well it didn't work out. Good thing that your truly assessing the situation, not making a hasty decision and putting ego to the side. I believe I have two dominant bunnies as well and it can be very tough for a long stretch of time to try to blunt these little hard heads. Plus, going into it you knew what could happen and made the right contingencies for it. So don't be too hard on yourself.

Michelle, you´ve done everything you possibly could and if you really feel he´s not as happy as you know he could be with you then maybe it is best to find him a home where he can be happier and maybe he´d be better on his own as well. You have done absolutely everything but you know Phoenix and you know buns well enough now to see the signs. Don´t beat yourself up, you´re a great bunny mom and you´re putting them first. The dealership is a great opportunity for you so you have to grab it with both hands.

Hopefully, the adoption people will be able to find him a lovely home where he´ll be really happy and less grumpy.

Awh thank you all for being so supportive! The dealership is going wonderfully but I work a lot of extra hours I did not anticipate hence me feeling bad. I only started real sales on Saturday and I'm already building a clientele.

On another note I'm disappointed that whenever I write a concerned message to the adoptions co-ordinator she does not respond to me, ever, as if she does not want to deal with the issue. I don't want to be forceful but it's not something I had anticipated would happen either. Technically I could keep both rabbits but their bonding would be on STANDBY for a long long time, who knows if I will ever bond them this way.

Although one thing that occurred to me is that perhaps if no one gets back to me by this Thursday (I have the day off, or so I think) I will try the wear them down method and I could do that once a week.... I guess we will see, I just don't think it's fair to the bunnies at all. :(

Michelle, you've done so much and its unfortunate but you know whats best.
I'm glad the dealership is going so well!

I know this is probably going to sound stupid because I really still don't know much about bonding. But couldn't you just open their doors and let them out at the same time and let them be with each other always and sort of resolve their bickers themselves? I mean, its not like they don't know each other, they live next to each other every day. I know Hippo is grumpy, but could that work? I mean, break up any fight fight they have, but let them nip and work it out themselves? There have to be people who just put rabbits together and it works out, without the whole bonding process.
Thats just my opinion though and it might not work or be a good idea! haha.

I hope everything works out.

Michelle, you've done so much and its unfortunate but you know whats best.
I'm glad the dealership is going so well!

I know this is probably going to sound stupid because I really still don't know much about bonding. But couldn't you just open their doors and let them out at the same time and let them be with each other always and sort of resolve their bickers themselves? I mean, its not like they don't know each other, they live next to each other every day. I know Hippo is grumpy, but could that work? I mean, break up any fight fight they have, but let them nip and work it out themselves? There have to be people who just put rabbits together and it works out, without the whole bonding process.
Thats just my opinion though and it might not work or be a good idea! haha.

I hope everything works out.

Awh Morgan thanks for the thought. I've tried to allow them to sort it out amongst themselves before. The problem is as soon as one nips the other they start circling and fighting within 10 seconds. It's bad.

Actually, the adoptions cordinator just wrote me back earlier today and she didn't realize what I was saying. I still feel horrible and I'm seriously gonna miss this grumpy bunny but I need to give them more attention and unfortunately I only have time to focus my attention on the little bunny that stole my heart from the moment I laid eyes on her.... :( I hate dilemmas!

Michelle, it is a tough one but you really have to think of you all as a whole and if you really feel, deep down, that he´s not happy and it´s not working then if they can find a good home for him, it may be better for you all. It is sad as you´ve come to know him and care for him but their bonding process isn´t an easy fix and I can tell you, it doesn´t always work just letting them out to get on with it, you can get some nasty bites and unhappy buns.

Feel good whatever you do and enjoy your new opportunity, sounds like the dealership is going well and you need to put all your energy into that at the moment.

Me too, we´ve probably all been thinking about you and your tough decision. Bet you´re really busy too with the dealership, hope that´s going good as well.

Hi everyone!!! I really do appreciate all the messages and posts I had received from everyone!!

I think I really needed that break to just come to terms with my decision because at the time it was so nerve wracking!!
I've been VERY busy (doesn't even describe it) at work and so when I came home to my bunnies fighting it was SO frustrating and hard to see.

I still have Hippo here, he's waiting on a foster home, it may take a while.
Other than that, I'm really happy to be back on and I've missed this site and everyone on it! It seems I just feel foolish for not writing and for not keeping up to date with everyone when they've been nothing but considerate! I am also sorry to everyone whom it took me so long to reply to (this email is my old email, I haven't been receiving the updates).

Looking forward to catching up with everyone and posting some new pictures! My two are completely separated, one being upstairs and one being down stairs. Phoenix is molting and she's got a skirt situation going on and it is adorable! I love her to pieces!!

Anyways, I am SO glad to have come back to the site and hope you all will forgive me for not writing!!

Of course we forgive you! Life gets busy and gets hard and sometimes you have to take a step back! We all get it.
You did the best you could and are still doing the best you can!

Glad to see you're back though! :hearts:

Great to see you back Michelle, we´ve missed seeing your buns and you on here. Glad to see the dealership is going well and that the two buns are doing Ok although separately. I suppose even with all the will in the world, it´s not going to happen, it´s a shame but that´s life. Mine are back to being buddies so some things do work out in life.

Hope to see more of you on here again, just good to have you back :jumpforjoy:

Okay so time for some photos!

Since I moved phoenix's pen upstairs, I switched it up a little bit, she's still not free range because if she goes downstairs and for some reason she decides that she wants to hop over the baby gate separating them, she's screwed.

Oh she loves it up here, she likes it because it's literally infront of my bed. I get scared sometimes though because she's got really bad balance so when she periscopes against the stair posts, and she falls back, she can definitely fall through and down my stairs... :( She scared me yesterday and it happened and she was like half hanging off... only her back feet were hanging onto the post. Thank god I don't leave her unsupervised, I need to bunny proof my stairs.

I also put a little carrier into her pen and she LOVES sleeping in it. It's soooooo cute!!!

Awh ****, my photobucket is acting up and I need to get going to work but I will post pictures and video's later.

:)

How about some plywood or coroplast put in front of the stair posts to help keep her from falling between the posts & down the stairs? Or even some hardware cloth? I'm sure you will think of the perfect solution to keep her safe & you from worrying.

I missed this post since I wasn't on yesterday! Of course we forgive you! You were making a hard decision and needed a good brake. I'm so happy to see you on again!!! :)

Good to hear the buns are doing good! :)

Sorry about Phoenix and the stairs, that must have been really scary!

Latest posts

Back