Rebirth of the Phoenix from Ashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huzzah!! Sounds like things are slowly getting better each day! And yeah, definitely sounds like they are finally sorting out the dominance issues. I laughed when you said nips were exchanged and then Phoenix immediately began grooming Hippo. What a needy grump he is. :p

So you and Luke (and Luke, haha) are Polish! Must be a lot of Polish people in Canada, hahaha.

Awww Phoenix is such a sweetheart and I'm sure she'll get along pretty well with her new friend! Hippogryff is such an epic name! I love it!
And I love your plants too, they look great!

I'm so glad for this breakthrough!

From that video you posted I could tell they were getting there and that kinda nip really isn't a nip in the bad sense of the word. It's more communication. And I could tell they were to the point where things would start falling into place.

I am so happy! You have done SO good with these two. Pat yourself on the back :)

I think things are very positive and she is recognising that he´s a bit of a grump and allowing for that. I think you´re definitely going in the right direction and they obviously enjoy each other....more news please.

Today has been alright. My two have been off the hook with dates for the last few days, just running around like crazy but with that being said, both have had less out time so Hippogryff destroyed ALL of the floor in his cage and just ripped up pieces of foam everywhere! He is such a grump I swear!

Today their date was longer than usual, I'd say around 10 minutes but he started to get nippy with her which she didn't mind too too much and they were cuddling for a bit like he tucked his face under her tummy and flopped out and she just sort of sat there while I stroked her. She's really just waiting for him to groom her back, poor girl. I think I'm going to set her old pen up upstairs so that they can have space to run around but without me having to worry about the back of the sink. Only thing is my upstairs is carpeted but it is still neutral territory... what do you think? should I do a few dates on the carpet so they're more comfortable? I know Hippo is such a grump that if he's slightly out of his comfort zone he will grunt and get angry!

Just so you don't get too discouraged by the Hipster's grumpy behavior. I have a bonded pair, and my female is super grumpy. She'll give Flopsy little nips and lunge at him, but they both like each other. Flopsy has just learned to hop away from her and avoid her when she is being a big grump. They don't snuggle ALL the time, but they do snuggle together most of the time, and groom each other, though suprisingly, she does the most grooming. So bonding can work out, having a grumpy rabbit, if the other rabbit learns how to deal with it.

Edited to add: Maybe it's a red eyed bunny thing, cause she is a REW holland lop, so doesn't have the best eysight, and gets nervous about things easily.

Last edited:
lol, thank you! Yeah, could very well be a REW thing! He also hates when I pat my hand down in a specific spot as if to say come here, he will lunge at me. I wonder if his previous owner ever freaked him out in any way. They are both most definitely making huge progress though and learning to ignore each other as if nothing were happening.

I was just wondering if dating them in a carpeted pen would be better so he's not so grumpy about it? The plus side would be that they wouldn't be able to corner each other. They seem to be very comfortable in each others presence now :)

I'm glad the date went well. Hippo is such a grump I can't believe he tore up the foam in his pen, naughty bunny.

And I think you might as well try dating them in the carpeted pen. After all, you have nothing to lose. I think you should try and see how it works out.

Last edited:
You know Archie never grooms Agnes anymore. He did at first but he never does. She grooms him all the time. He's definitely alpha. So hippo may not ever groom Phoenix and she'll eventually need to accept that. So I think these two are nearly there it's just they both still want to be top bun a little in the sense of grooming.

It's okay they had an off day. I think to myself, humans have off days too, ya know? These two mare so close I can taste it! I just can't wait for them to officially just give in. You definitely have two headstrong buns on your hands :)

Looks like we both suffered through off days and stubborn buns. It's a day to day marathon though isn't it :) You are making progress though, don't doubt it. Carpeted date area makes me cringe, but aim considering it myself and who knows it may make our grumps more relaxed in the end.

I know that eventually they will get there.

About grooming, Bandy never groomed the other two but they´d still groom him but suddenly about a month ago, he´s started to groom them so maybe one day, they´ll start to groom, I think sometimes with time and as with any relationship things can change.

You will get there in the end, I just know it. Everything comes to he/she who waits.

I'm sorry but it sounds like everyone mis-interpreted.... they didn't have any off days, I gave them some days off as in breaks from their dates!! :p

Actually, the two are quite "chum-y", I caught them laying side by side when I came in looking very comfortable and I don't know who settled that but tonights the night I think they will both have a carpeted date.

It is definitely a day to day battle, I've gotten so used to the bad though, any progress for me feels amazing, even when it's something small!

Oh gosh Michelle I did misunderstand! Haha by off day I thought you meant a bad day! But I get it now.
Sooooo glad things are still positive!
Btw...when did you adopt Hippo. I was curious how long exaactly you've been at this?

Follow the leader then I guess when it comes to replying. How spoiled are our bunnies that we give the time off from the oh so stressful job of getting along with each other so that they can have company when they eat, drink and play for free. Sheesh...

lol... that's too funny!!

I adopted Hippo December 5th, I believe. So it's been a few months. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Yes, the bunnies have trained their slaves oh so well :p

Yes I thought you meant they were having a bad day. I'm glad that isn't the case :).

Wow, December 5th it seems like you've had him for much longer than that.

Last edited:
It does seem like I've had him longer doesn't it?!

Great news! Today I took them upstairs in Phoenix's old x-pen and the date went PHENOMENAL! I thought they were both over all more comfortable on the carpeting and that there was more space without any cornering going on! They both tried to nip each other once towards the end of it, but over all, much of it was them ignoring each other or Phoenix grooming Hippogryff and she has obviously learned that everytime she grooms him she gets a treat :p

Needless to say, I've found what works for them, and they're really going in a great direction! I swear those two are plotting against me now.... I caught them flopped together side by side in their cages today when I got home! They're getting closer each and every day and that is so monumental for me especially considering I only started really seriously dating them halfway in March! I'm so happy with where they're at!

Yay! I'm glad the date went well. Looks like Phoenix's old pen is/was the best place to date them.

They are definitely going in the right direction. I can't wait to see their wedding photo. And once its all over and your buns are finally bonded you can go throw a party, or take a vacation on the beach and relax, lol.

Gosh Michelle things finally just seem like they have clicked for these two and boy do you deserve it! Honestly it does seem longer than dec 5th but that's still a looooong time :)

As I've said I think you just have two smart and headstrong buns which is a good thing except for bunny bonding, haha :) but you are getting there! Hooray!

Latest posts

Back