Rebirth of the Phoenix from Ashes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay!!! Yes michelle our gut instincts are usually right. I think about your two now and again and the *only* other different method you could try with them would be the wear them down method. Literally arm yourself with gloves and a spray bottle and don't give up til they give in. But the jury is out for me still on if there could be longtime success with that?? I dunno.

But anyway if not I definitely think slow and steady wins the race for your two. It's been quite a journey and I'm sure when these two are bonded we will all do a cheer!!

Haha, I think after these two are bonded I DEFINITELY deserve to throw a party and drink a lot to take off the stress from the last few months :p

BTW I'm going to take a video today of their bonding session so y'all can chime in :)

Yes Michelle, you should throw a party!

That's great that your taking a video! Now we can see it in action! I hope the date goes well, and I'm looking forward to seeing the video.

Michelle, yes party party when it´s all over. And yes, a video would be great as one of us might see something you haven´t especially as nearly all of us have gone through the process .

Katie, yes bonding bunnies can sometimes be stressful especially when they´re not doing what you want them to do but it isn´t always, just depends on the buns.

Yes the video will be so helpful to peoples like MEEE! :D
Awww, I don't like stress. I wish I had a bigger house so that I had *neutral territory* to keep them in.

:cry4:Stress? Yall are scaring me! I don't want to go through stresss :(

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even when bonding goes smoothly like mine it's still stressful!! Hahaha

Katie, you have a long ways to go til the stressful part. You still have to get your girl spayed and let her heal before they can even date. As far as neutral territory to keep them in, you don't need neutral territory to keep them in, just to date in in the beginning. Like a bathroom, tub, closet, even trunk of a car.

@Michelle....yes video will totally help!! I'll watch for it!

Can't wait to see the video!

Oh Katie, it is indeed stressful. Even the smallest positive things can be so rewarding, though. I'm feeling a little set back in my own bonding process right now after a particularly disappointing and violent session with the rabbits last night, but I've got some new ideas up my sleeve that I'm now excited to try out! You have lots of time to research and look at all our very different experiences as well, so hopefully you will be super prepared after the spay!

The results far outweigh the stress in the end so it will be all worth it just to see two bunnies happily living together or even three lol. That is the biggest reward. But Lyndy´s right, it gives you loads of time to do your research and be totally prepared when you decide to do it.

Okay, I just finished their date (I know I said last night, but meh) and it didn't go as well as I expected but I ended it on a good note with grooming. As soon as I stopped recording, I literally picked Phoenix up and out of there. I don't know why Hippo has been trying to show his dominance lately. They didn't nip each other like this right away before, or atleast they didn't try. The good news is that as long as I have treats, Phoenix will leave him alone...

Ignore my annoying voice with the bunnies, you know just trying to talk them through it. lol Somewhere mid-video you can hear a very loud crinkling noise lmao Phoenix grabbed the treat box and was trying to rip it open!! You can also see Hippogryff digging at the floor close to the beginning! He's such a grump!

Part of me thinks that dating them in that washroom is a bad idea simply because they can corner each other behind the sink! They've already tried to do so but I stop them every time and I think this adds unnecessary stress to the dates.... Should I date them in my upstairs washroom since it's bigger?

Anyways here is the video, enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QS_Ytwbg8k&feature=youtu.be

Aww, they look so cute on video! There's something about seeing them on video that is so much cuter than seeing them on pics. I love Hippo's coloring and he looks so soft.

Maybe you should date them in the upstairs washroom, bigger would probably be better.

AWWWW! They are so cute!
I think that she wants to be bonded to him! He just seems like a grump. But there are people who have grumpy buns with non-grumpy buns and they work out. I think taking it slow-slow is the right way to go!

What kind of treats are you feeding them? Phoenix is like Ellie, it doesn't matter whats going on, its not going to stop her from eating! LOL.

Aww, they look so cute on video! There's something about seeing them on video that is so much cuter than seeing them on pics. I love Hippo's coloring and he looks so soft.

Maybe you should date them in the upstairs washroom, bigger would probably be better.

lol I think I will try them upstairs tomorrow :)

AWWWW! They are so cute!
I think that she wants to be bonded to him! He just seems like a grump. But there are people who have grumpy buns with non-grumpy buns and they work out. I think taking it slow-slow is the right way to go!

What kind of treats are you feeding them? Phoenix is like Ellie, it doesn't matter whats going on, its not going to stop her from eating! LOL.

lmao.... she's like super nippy and he's just grumpy so it's weird. They both want to bond with another bun, you can tell but both want it on their terms. They're so stubborn!!!

I'm feeding them Martins Little Friends Banana Muffins biscuits. They don't have them in the states but they're comparable to oxbows vegetable biscuits just banana flavored.

I was so surprised by how good they were and they are so much cuter when you can see them moving. I just love Hippogryff´s face and Phoenix looks to have such thick fur, they are both just adorable.

I didn´t get really bad vibes from this and there wasn´t any serious nose butting or real nipping so I saw it as being quite positive. And Phoenix at the end looked as though she really wanted to groom Hippo although he didn´t look that bothered but looks like you´re moving in the right direction.

Maybe move them into a bigger space where you can still keep your eye on them.

Michelle!!! This video is awesome!!!!

I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I guess I expected something negative but this was awesome!!

Here's what I noticed:

You are the BOMB with your buns. You are intuitive on what their actions are, your voice is perfect in soothing them. You offered treats at the right time, intervened at the right time. Perfection!!

At the end when Phoenix just started grooming Hippo....it was fantastic that you kinda kept your hand there. Hippo had his head lowered the entire time. So in his mind he was like aaaah, I'm getting groomed by mommy AND Phoenix. That would have been an awesome time to rub applesauce or mushy or banana on Hippos head.

Michelle I just feel so good about this. Seriously, their date looked so similar to many of mine. The little nip attempts are very minimal and I really think they are starting to bond they just both have thismlast bit of stubbornness to get over but I have the confidence innthe world it will happen.

Kudos to you!!! I thunk you are ROs bonding guru!!!! :)

Grrrr iPad typos. I'm gonna run this thing over with my car one day.....

I agree Lisa, i thought it was a really good date and I didn´t see anything negative between the two buns and it finished on a high with Phoenix grooming the hipster...I suppose I was waiting for a spat which didn´t come...hey that was great, I am so impressed and I am sure that pretty soon, we´ll see these two together.

Michelle!!! This video is awesome!!!!

I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I guess I expected something negative but this was awesome!!

Here's what I noticed:

You are the BOMB with your buns. You are intuitive on what their actions are, your voice is perfect in soothing them. You offered treats at the right time, intervened at the right time. Perfection!!

At the end when Phoenix just started grooming Hippo....it was fantastic that you kinda kept your hand there. Hippo had his head lowered the entire time. So in his mind he was like aaaah, I'm getting groomed by mommy AND Phoenix. That would have been an awesome time to rub applesauce or mushy or banana on Hippos head.

Michelle I just feel so good about this. Seriously, their date looked so similar to many of mine. The little nip attempts are very minimal and I really think they are starting to bond they just both have thismlast bit of stubbornness to get over but I have the confidence innthe world it will happen.

Kudos to you!!! I thunk you are ROs bonding guru!!!! :)

Thank you so much, this comment makes me feel so good. Yeah I feel like it is this last bit of stubborn to get over and I don't mind dating them like this for months as long as they don't resort to any naughty anti-bunny behaviors!

I guess the video looks better than it feels. I could really feel the tension but thats just me in my panic mode lol... I've been keeping open about it and I'm really happy that they're progressing in the right direction.

I posted this on my rescues group page and everyone was also saying they look great even though I just thought it could have been better.

Perhaps I need to be happier with what is at hand than concentrating on the finished result!

Both buns seem much happier now, and they're both all flopped out so perhaps 1 date a day for now is good!

Latest posts

Back