Reasons pellets could make a rabbit sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
Not sure where this should go, although I guess here is best since he's not immediately sick?

I've made a couple posts in the past about Toshi, my one year old Holland Lop, about being sick. He's now on a strict no-pellet diet, only hay and veggies((mustard greens, romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro, carrot tops, broccoli, celery)) and the occasional treat((grapes, banana, carrot, apple)). I'm very afraid to try anything processed with him because he gets so lethargic and sick-looking when he eats pellets.

Well, he's hopefully going to a new home this Saturday, and they were confused on why he can't have pellets- because, obviously, it's a much easier way to feed a rabbit. And we honestly have no idea, although I've tried to find out.

He had been 'sick' since about April, and we've gone through two bags, so it's not that the food is moldy or anything. He will eat it, so it's not that. I have seven other rabbits on the same food who don't show any signs of sickness, and I've had about 24 total on the same pellets who have never gotten ill.

Any guesses from the experts out there? It'd be nice to have an answer for the new owner, and for myself.

It could be he is allergic/intolerant to a specific ingredient in it. You could try another brand (compare the ingredient list).

Or it could just be that eating pellets effects the overall balance of his diet, the more pellets he eats the less hay or veggies and therefore the fibre is reduced or the water content of his diet is reduced and even the speed that he eats is increased. One of this factors could be causing the issue.

tamsin wrote:
Or it could just be that eating pellets effects the overall balance of his diet, the more pellets he eats the less hay or veggies and therefore the fibre is reduced or the water content of his diet is reduced and even the speed that he eats is increased. One of this factors could be causing the issue.

I thought about that, but we gave him all his regular veggies((which he ate, along with all the hay he normally eats in a day)) and then added in about 1/8 cup of pellets and he still got sick. So wouldn't that mean it's not the case? Or could be a percentage type of thing?

Also, I suppose I could see about switching pellets. I need to go to the store soon anyway for hay. I'll bring an ingredient list and see what I can get. :)

Latest posts

Back