Really silly question..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfarmer1

Reaction score
Ok, so I’m new to this forum..but I’ve been breeding rabbits for awhile...I think in some of the other threads I may have come across like I actually earn money from this, while I love raising rabbits.. I mostly give them away..I’ve only sold 2 ..lol..so, I’m not some big breeder..just a very simple hobby farmer who does a ton of research because I love my animals. Anyways..this is my silly question...since they are farm rabbits they live in nice hutches..but I do handle them all every day. I’ve never been tinkled on. I’m bringing this one adorable Red New Zealand Sally into our home .....she hasn’t tinkled on me...will she? Right now she’s in a wire cage in the barn with a bunny box to sleep in...and next question..how to I potty train her? Just put a kitty litter box out with kitty litter in it, and put her in it like a kitten?

ok..thanks sooo much for answering my silly tinkle questions!

NO KITTY LITTER!!! It can make them sick. Most of us use yesterday's news paper cat litter, carefresh paper litter, or my personal favorite and a lot of others favorite pine horse stall pellets. Just put them in the litterbox and put them it in the corner she likes to pee at the most. You don't need a lot of the pine pellets as they expand.

Oooohh. Thank heavens I asked this before bringing her in. Thank you so much!! And what about tinkling in my arms. Will she do that?

I have never had a rabbit tinkle on me. Other than when my male was in a wire cage and decided to pee out the door instead of in a corner. :D:D:D. He didn't pee on me on purpose. They are pretty good about holding it until you put them down. and I have one that is outside but if I bring her in for some playtime she will not pee in the house even if she is in there for an hour or more, but if I put a litterbox down she will go right in and pee if she has to.

I have never had a rabbit tinkle on me. Other than when my male was in a wire cage and decided to pee out the door instead of in a corner. :D:D:D. He didn't pee on me on purpose. They are pretty good about holding it until you put them down. and I have one that is outside but if I bring her in for some playtime she will not pee in the house even if she is in there for an hour or more, but if I put a litterbox down she will go right in and pee if she has to.
Can I ask. Just out of curiosity. How many bunnies do you have?

I only have 3 now 2 females one male, because I am leaving for college next fall. But, I used to have 12 adult rabbits and with babies, I had about 40 when all my females had litters. I was breeding and selling to Rural King. I am still trying to get rid of the male but I am keeping the females and one is already spayed and my other one will be spayed as soon as I have the money.

I only have 3 now 2 females one male, because I am leaving for college next fall. But, I used to have 12 adult rabbits and with babies, I had about 40 when all my females had litters. I was breeding and selling to Rural King. I am still trying to get rid of the male but I am keeping the females and one is already spayed and my other one will be spayed as soon as I have the money.
Wow. For your young age to be handling all those rabbits is awesome! I’m sure you learned an awful lot about it all.

Yeah, I pretty much know about the ins and outs of breeding. Genetics? not so much I know what colors get other colors, don't breed broken to broken, all that kind of stuff. But I'm still learning too. I will be bonding my two females together (hopefully) after the other one is spayed. I know a lot about diet but there is still so much to learn about that still and always will be.

Hi,

I made my herd buck my house bunny when he was 2, and last year I got one of his daughters spayed, as cuddlebun. They are completly free range house bunnies with access to the garden during daytime. Litter training is the wrong expression, it's more of a natural behaviour we take advantage of. I would start with a small area, with litter box, hay rack, food and water, hidy house. Litter box in one corner, under the hay rack, they like to eat'n'poop. I use an Ikea under bed storage box, wood stove pellets as absorbent with hay on top.
When she got used to that space and the litter box I would gradually enlarge her radius.

I had an intact doe as house rabbit once, for 8 months, Myxo quarentine. Fury pretty much destroyed the apartment, turned all plinth to shreds and splinters, PVC and wood alike, left pee stains in corners and cabinets, tried to kill me twice by removing insulation from power cords, and started a tunnel straight into the wall, after 2" of plaster bricks stopped her. Very happy 8yo outdoor bunny now.
No problem whatsoever with the intact buck and his spayed girl, ok, Dotty killed some USB cables, cant blame her, they were just in her way.

Apart from my house bunnies I have 4 breeding does, living in pairs, 2 of them, 8 and 6 years old going to be retired if they let me (both had surprise litters this year). It got pretty difficult to sell offspring not being a comercial breeder, company or pet shop, most years I try because there often are more than I need, but that's definitly no way to make money here.

Hi,

I made my herd buck my house bunny when he was 2, and last year I got one of his daughters spayed, as cuddlebun. They are completly free range house bunnies with access to the garden during daytime. Litter training is the wrong expression, it's more of a natural behaviour we take advantage of. I would start with a small area, with litter box, hay rack, food and water, hidy house. Litter box in one corner, under the hay rack, they like to eat'n'poop. I use an Ikea under bed storage box, wood stove pellets as absorbent with hay on top.
When she got used to that space and the litter box I would gradually enlarge her radius.

I had an intact doe as house rabbit once, for 8 months, Myxo quarentine. Fury pretty much destroyed the apartment, turned all plinth to shreds and splinters, PVC and wood alike, left pee stains in corners and cabinets, tried to kill me twice by removing insulation from power cords, and started a tunnel straight into the wall, after 2" of plaster bricks stopped her. Very happy 8yo outdoor bunny now.
No problem whatsoever with the intact buck and his spayed girl, ok, Dotty killed some USB cables, cant blame her, they were just in her way.

Apart from my house bunnies I have 4 breeding does, living in pairs, 2 of them, 8 and 6 years old going to be retired if they let me (both had surprise litters this year). It got pretty difficult to sell offspring not being a comercial breeder, company or pet shop, most years I try because there often are more than I need, but that's definitly no way to make money here.
Lol. My husband laughs. We have a bunnies $10 sign at our driveway. We almost sold 2. People come but they aren’t prepared at home. Lol. Oh well. I like giving them away but my relatives tell me to stay away. Lol. Sooo. How do I know if my Sally will just eat a few USB cords or cause us to remodel? Chris would kill me if she doesn’t tinkle in her box. That’s why she’s in the barn right now. Also this barn is attached to the house so she’s literally like 30 ft from the family room ❤️

You may want to first have a firm idea of what you want to do with her-- make her a house rabbit where she lives indoors, or just allow her inside the house every now & then. That would determine how you would approach bringing her in.

If you want to make her a house rabbit, then it's best to get everything set for her in advance -- cage (or ex-pen), litter box (highly suggest wood pellets topped with hay in a large plastic box), dishes, etc. The idea is that she needs to have her own space while indoors. Once she's used to that, then she can gradually be allowed more space. (Prietler described this)

When she is confined indoors inside her cage, with the litter box, that is when she will potty train. My website I linked earlier explains how to potty train and what housing options you have. Rabbits are housed differently when housed indoors. (also shows litter set up and lists which litters are safe)

It's important to start out on the right foot. It is more difficult to un-train or un-do bad behaviors that result from letting them down somewhere inside where they end up piddling or chewing something. (You will need to bunny proof before letting her roam)

(Fair warning: my website works better on a laptop or desktop. The site doesn't convert well to mobile devices unfortunately.)

Last edited:
Ok..good deal..I use a laptop and my hubby will be away tomorrow so I can get things sort of set up...and do a trial run..I have to take is with him..he’s not thrilled about this... I keep bringing ducks and chickens in all the time..because they are hurt...he just doesn’t want the wrecked.he was a contractor, and we have a beautiful house that built onto an old farm and it looks like a giant farm..it’s huge and unique and his baby...so he wants it unhurt by animals..lol

Just a question. Is she spayed or are you planning on getting her spayed if not already? Spaying is important because after 3-4 years old rabbits have an 80% chance of getting uterine cancer.

Oh.. I planing to breed her..can I breed her for awhile and then spay. She’s so pretty with a great temperament

Latest posts

Back