Really frustrated with my Rabbit :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeonToeNails

Reaction score
My rabbit Wicket has went backwards when it comes to his behavior! I have had him for a year and for the first 8-9 months he was pretty great. He was almost litter box trained, very friendly, tame, he would bink a lot, he would flop a lot in contentment, and he would even let me hold him.

Now he refuses to let me hold him he just bucks and now I don't even try because I don't want him to hurt himself. He poops in EVERY corner of the cage. He never binks or flops anymore. When I let him out of his cage (daily) he just wants to go behind things unless I leave the room then he comes out but as soon as I open the door to the room he is in he hides. I don't understand things were going so well. When I go into his room to sit with him he comes out to me but if I try to pet him he dives behind the totes that is in his room. We have moved recently but he kept the same cage and his room that he has freedom in is larger then the one at the old place. He eats well, his weight is good, teeth are great, I clip his nails on a regular basis. I don't get it. I feel like he is miserable and I'm not much better. It's to the point that I want to find another home for him . But I don't trust anyone to take care of him as good as I have and I don't want him put down or snake food so getting rid of him is not an option but I need HELP!!!

FYI he is not aggressive and he doesn't bite he just doesn't seem to want to be bothered

Has he been altered? I think that can cause a lot of aggressive behavior as the bunny matures.

No he is intact....it's really not something I want to do ....and right now it's not fisable I have a 3500.00 vet bill from an emergency surgery for my dog

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your large vet bill...I hope your dog is okay! Unfortunately, I think it is very likely your bunny's behavior is directly related to being intact. My suggestion is that you contact your local humane society or SPCA and see where there is a low cost spay/neuter program. I think, given my own experience with our girl we had spayed a few weeks ago...I was ready to find her another home. She is a different bunny! She is SUPER sweet and we love her to pieces! My kids (13, 11, 8 and 5) are having a blast cuddling and playing with her, while before it got to the point I wouldn't let them touch her.

I have read many things on RO about spay/neuter...and some have negatively commented on low cost clinics. The fact of the matter, because the humane societies and SPCA are dealing with so many more bunnies...these vets are dealing with far more spays and neuters. I would definitely ask lots of questions but I certainly think you AND your bunny would be MUCH happier!!! Given where you live (my mom's family is from Sunbury, OH,just north of Columbus), I can't imagine that there isn't some place in the Columbus area that can help you!!! Good luck!!!

I have read many things on RO about spay/neuter...and some have negatively commented on low cost clinics.

huh. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about low-cost stuff. if someone has, I'd take it with a grain of salt. most low cost spay/neuter programs only do cats/dogs... but *if* they do rabbits, then they'd certainly do enough of them to be appropriately experienced. low cost spays/neuters aren't cheap because they're any lower quality than getting the surgery at the "normal" price through a private vet - they're cheap because the cost is typically subsidized by some sort of non-profit organization that advocates spaying/neutering and because the vets used are offering their services at a discount for spays/neuters done through that non-profit. whatever organization runs the spay/neuter program screens vets thoroughly and picks very skilled and qualified vets to do the procedures.

if you want to look for a low cost neutering option, the best place to start your search is with this thread - http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/79-00-bun-speuters-seattle-appt-info-72039/#post947066
you can also call shelters in your area that take rabbits, rabbit sanctuaries/rescues, etc. and ask if they host or know of any spay/neuter clinics that fix rabbits.

Yup....I have to agree that this sounds like hormones. Me personally, I could never have a house bunny who want altered....spayed or neutered. They just make overall better pets.

I also have never heard of anything negative about a low cost spay/neuter program? If so, it was probably just one unique circumstance and doesn't accurately portray them. I've also found that higher price does not mean better surgery. I've often found it's opposite. My bunny vet is a big rabbit guru and has been for 25 years and he charges $90 for neuters and $110 for spays.

I would encourage you to look into a neuter. To me it's almost priceless the way bunny acts after vs before is night and day and worth SO much IMO :)

Best of luck!

I'm still new to bunnies but want to throw this in for consideration also. You mention you recently moved. I know with birds especially & I think probably bunnies too, moving to a new home is rather upsetting until they have time to get familiar with the new place. They are both prey animals so they are going to a scary place (even though you are still with them) with unknown places to hide from any new predators. The neuter is a good idea but personally unless I was told differently by an experienced bunny person/vet. I would give him some time to settle into his new home before the neuter. Maybe he has had enough time to adjust, how long since your move? Hope you can find a solution so that you can have your old happy bunny to love again.

My neuter bill is 90 per rabbit, Its a pretty good price to have a happy healthy rabbit.

He may just need to get used to the new place. I am sure it can be scary for a bun in a new place. Also, there could be smells that are frightening to him. If there were people living there before you and especially if they had pets it might be scaring him. Maybe he is trying to mark his territory in the cage even though it is the same cage the surroundings are different.

I would give it some more time and in the meanwhile try to look into affordable neuter. And saving.

Though neutering may help, it seems like it may have more to do with being in a new place. Some rabbits are really sensitive to changes, and it can really affect them. If you have an xpen, I would suggest putting it around his cage and limiting his area(at least when you are in there to spend time with him). If you don't have an xpen, then take him into a bathroom or other small area. You are just trying to limit his ability to hide from you and avoid you. You want him choosing to be near you, instead of being able to choose to hide. He needs the be able to see that everything is ok and that he is going to be ok. Don't try and pet him until he is ready for it, meaning that he is relaxed and is approaching you more often. Basically ignore him until he is showing a lot of interest in you. Then you can slowly put your hand near his nose and let him sniff you. After a while of doing that and him seeming ok, then you could try petting from there. You can also use a very small amount of treats, to get him to come up to you, and show him that being near you means good things. He just needs time to adjust to the new place, and to feel safe again.

This is just one method to try. Because all rabbits are different, sometimes you have to adapt and adjust your approach if something doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:
I also agree that you should have him neutered as soon as you can afford it. B is a week past spay & I am already seeing small improvements in her behavior. Like Wickett, she did not tolerate being picked up & has scratched me & bitten me a few times. I have been working with her for about a month before her surgery & she tolerates me brushing & petting her. We are on day 3 of getting her used to being held by me. I wrap her in a large thick towel & pet her head & hold her for about 10 minutes. The first day she kicked a bit and squirmed a lot in my arms. Today she did not kick at all and did not squirm at all. Still had her ears pinned back while I was holding her though. I think we are making progress. Good luck!

Yup....I have to agree that this sounds like hormones. Me personally, I could never have a house bunny who want altered....spayed or neutered. They just make overall better pets.

I also have never heard of anything negative about a low cost spay/neuter program? If so, it was probably just one unique circumstance and doesn't accurately portray them. I've also found that higher price does not mean better surgery. I've often found it's opposite. My bunny vet is a big rabbit guru and has been for 25 years and he charges $90 for neuters and $110 for spays.

I would encourage you to look into a neuter. To me it's almost priceless the way bunny acts after vs before is night and day and worth SO much IMO :)

Best of luck!

I agree with you completely! However, I have read comments about low cost spay/neuter and something like you get what you pay for...I was very surprised by that given so many shelters are inandated with bunnies that require being spayed or neutered!

Inaddition, I feel the same way...both for behavioral and health reasons, I will always have my bunnies spayed or neutered

Again. Good luck with your bunny!!!

I agree with you completely! However, I have read comments about low cost spay/neuter and something like you get what you pay for

you DO tend to get what you pay for... but I suspect anyone giving that warning about low cost spays/neuters is overlooking the fact that the surgeries are subsidized though a combination of non-profit funding and vets "donating" by giving their time and skills at a lower price than usual - the actual value of the surgery your pet gets is significantly higher than the price you're asked to pay.

you should try to contact you local spca and see if they can direct you to a low cost vet or even provide a voucher to cost some/all the costs. i did that for my female..the cost of a spay is incredible... and it covered all of the costs.

Latest posts

Back