Real dwarf?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Czurek0623

Reaction score
I don’t have an appropriate scale at the house. Is nightingale a false or true dwarf

Attachments

• FA080A5C-A5B8-45CC-8409-0C0989036817.jpeg
    FA080A5C-A5B8-45CC-8409-0C0989036817.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 40AB565C-3F3F-44A0-9D1F-097F7EC56D54.jpeg
    40AB565C-3F3F-44A0-9D1F-097F7EC56D54.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 21
That rabbit is not a dwarf. Doesn't have dwarf gene, & isn't a netherland dwarf or any dwarf breed.

That rabbit is not a dwarf. Doesn't have dwarf gene, & isn't a netherland dwarf or any dwarf breed.
He was definitely a Netherland dwarf I bought him with breed specific and he’s about 7 months. And if you look up other netherland dwarfs some look like him.

Can't really estimate the size, if it's a any dwarf breed it's definitly a false dwarf, but to me he doesn't look much like an ND either, head has good, normal proportions (no expert though), normal ears. What's his weight?

He was definitely a Netherland dwarf I bought him with breed specific and he’s about 7 months. And if you look up other netherland dwarfs some look like him.

@SableSteel knows breeds very well. When identifying breed, the coloring of the fur is not what determines breed. Almost any breed can have markings like your rabbit. The body shape and head shape and ear length shows, without doubt, that your rabbit is most definitely not a Netherland dwarf. Whoever sold it to you may have just not known better.

The photo below shows a Netherland Dwarf. Note the flat face, tiny ears, body shape. This photo is of an adult.
1619999870770.png

Can't really estimate the size, if it's a any dwarf breed it's definitly a false dwarf, but to me he doesn't look much like an ND either, head has good, normal proportions (no expert though), normal ears. What's his weight?
My husband thinks he feels about 2.5 3 pounds. We have to get a better scale mine is broken and he’s too small to register on his own

Whatever breed he is he's very cute.
He really is! He’s our baby regardless! I’m just worried he’ll outgrow what we have in our room for his exercise pen in the house. We have hawks so my husband doesn’t want him to be moved outside. We’ll adjust whatever happens!

I have much the same story. I was terrified when, against my wishes, the ex brought home a bunny. Since then, Sir Lawrence has become my best friend. Lots of details I won't share, but I love him, and wouldn't trade him for the world!

He doesn’t look like a typical Netherland Dwarf (shorter ears/more rounded face) but that doesn’t mean he’s not part ND, maybe he’s mixed with something else. Super cute regardless!

I have a rabbit that doesn’t meet the “standard of perfection” but I’m not showing or breeding him where it matters at all! If he’s already 7 mos he’ll likely be at his full size (or will be shortly) so I would doubt he’d outgrow what you have.

Hi, he's absolutely not Netherland dwarf, just has no signs of ND at all. Sellers just need to sell and often label them to hit the target audience, when it's known breed it makes buyers happier. Some time ago someone wanted to adopt one of my rabbits and during usual conversation on if they have any experience, suitable setup etc, they told me they bought two sisters mini rex from a breeder and one of them died suddenly so they were looking for a friend. They sent me some pics of the sisters they were about 4 months old then, and they were absolutely nothing with mini rexes, also the breeder they bought from I just noticed from advertisements that they breed a lot and mixed breeds, then sorting similarly looking rabbits into groups and selling as purebred. I've sent them a link to mini rex description and it is really easy to see since mini rexes have a very short fur like growing back like no other breed, and people got really angry with me because they said we googled mini rexes before buying and they looked like them. I wasn't in a mood to discuss further, also I said that their remaining sister will grow quite large she is not a dwarf breed at all, also they described some hormonal behaviour already in her so I told them that they will have to keep them separately until neutered, after that they clearly hated me. Which means it is best not to tell the truth, for me it is really hard to resist, also I didn't want to give them my rabbit because their situation wasn't good for getting another rabbit.

For your rabbit, if he is 7 months now he is most likely his full size already, unless he had some larger breed in his line. Smokey in my avatar, I've got her as mini lop (people were selling their oopsie babies), she looked as a mini lop indeed in advertisement photo, but she grew up into a very large rabbit, nothing with mini lops, and she was her full size by 18 months.

If you don't have a proper scale you can weight yourself holding him and then weight yourself alone, then the difference will be his weight.

I agree with others, he is adorable regardless his breed (mixed breed) and he is looking very smart :)

Last edited:
Found this picture online, this is a netherland dwarf, looks similar to yours. Maybe your breeder just had really bad netherland dwarf genes?

Attachments

• Netherland dwarf.png
    Netherland dwarf.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Hi, he's absolutely not Netherland dwarf, just has no signs of ND at all. Sellers just need to sell and often label them to hit the target audience, when it's known breed it makes buyers happier. Some time ago someone wanted to adopt one of my rabbits and during usual conversation on if they have any experience, suitable setup etc, they told me they bought two sisters mini rex from a breeder and one of them died suddenly so they were looking for a friend. They sent me some pics of the sisters they were about 4 months old then, and they were absolutely nothing with mini rexes, also the breeder they bought from I just noticed from advertisements that they breed a lot and mixed breeds, then sorting similarly looking rabbits into groups and selling as purebred. I've sent them a link to mini rex description and it is really easy to see since mini rexes have a very short fur like growing back like no other breed, and people got really angry with me because they said we googled mini rexes before buying and they looked like them. I wasn't in a mood to discuss further, also I said that their remaining sister will grow quite large she is not a dwarf breed at all, also they described some hormonal behaviour already in her so I told them that they will have to keep them separately until neutered, after that they clearly hated me. Which means it is best not to tell the truth, for me it is really hard to resist, also I didn't want to give them my rabbit because their situation wasn't good for getting another rabbit.

For your rabbit, if he is 7 months now he is most likely his full size already, unless he had some larger breed in his line. Smokey in my avatar, I've got her as mini lop (people were selling their oopsie babies), she looked as a mini lop indeed in advertisement photo, but she grew up into a very large rabbit, nothing with mini lops, and she was her full size by 18 months.

If you don't have a proper scale you can weight yourself holding him and then weight yourself alone, then the difference will be his weight.

I agree with others, he is adorable regardless his breed (mixed breed) and he is looking very smart :)
I did do that trick with my scale and he seems to be around 2 1/2 to three pounds(dial scale) Me and my husband looked up the dwarfs and realized that he doesn’t have the gene. So I guess we’ll just see if he gets bigger. We’ve made a plan to make our room bunny proofed entirely if he’s a large breed. But hoping he is medium or mixed small. I just want to make sure he’s well taken care of 🥰 and has enough room to be happy bun.

I did do that trick with my scale and he seems to be around 2 1/2 to three pounds(dial scale) Me and my husband looked up the dwarfs and realized that he doesn’t have the gene. So I guess we’ll just see if he gets bigger. We’ve made a plan to make our room bunny proofed entirely if he’s a large breed. But hoping he is medium or mixed small. I just want to make sure he’s well taken care of 🥰 and has enough room to be happy bun.
Okay maybe im just dense, but if your saying he’s a small breed you will not give him a room? Maybe I’m reading in between the lines lol. It seems you really care for you bun, and I’m sure you have read this before, but small bunnies are super energetic therefore also need a lot of space :). So if your able to provide a whole room I 100% would

Latest posts

Back