Read below

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitlint770

Reaction score
hi guys, so im planning to get my 1 year old, spayed female bunny a partner and after months of searching ive fallen in love with another bun. He is 1 years old too and is so adorable, the only thing is that he is not neutered. So i have made a plan of getting him neutered as soon as i get him, keep both bunnies apart until he heals (i might even put their cages beside each other so they at least can talk) and then slowly bond them. My mom brought up the point that it may be too much for this new bunny to handle, being in a new environment then going straight to the vet to be neutered and then meeting another bunny. But i think that he would be alright, i just wanted to see someone elses opinion on it. So my question is do you think it would be too much for this new bunny to handle? Also if you have any advice on how to make him feel comfortable with these changes, thanks guys!

That could be a bit stressful depending on the bun, is it possible that you can get the new bun and give him a week or so to get used to the new environment and then neuter him? Then he will be comfortable around you and his new environment. <3

That could be a bit stressful depending on the bun, is it possible that you can get the new bun and give him a week or so to get used to the new environment and then neuter him? Then he will be comfortable around you and his new environment. <3
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, im just super excited for my other bunny to finally have a friend and i cant wait to introduce them 😂

I honestly would not be getting this other male rabbit. It is too risky. Why?? because you have no way to know whether or not the two rabbits will get along.

If you get this male now and then pay for his neuter, then wait the 6-8 weeks for hormones to fully dissipate, and then begin the bonding process.... what happens if they refuse to get along? It does happen that 2 rabbits will refuse to get along (have had that happen a few times myself). What then? Are you ok with housing the two separately for the next 10 years?

It really should be your girl rabbit that chooses her potential bondmate. She can't do that until after she is spayed (and healed). Then she would need to meet already-fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility. This is the only sure way to wind up with a compatible match. Rabbit rescues (not generic shelters) will allow these pre-meets and then, if they don't get along, will allow an exchange.

I honestly would not be getting this other male rabbit. It is too risky. Why?? because you have no way to know whether or not the two rabbits will get along.

If you get this male now and then pay for his neuter, then wait the 6-8 weeks for hormones to fully dissipate, and then begin the bonding process.... what happens if they refuse to get along? It does happen that 2 rabbits will refuse to get along (have had that happen a few times myself). What then? Are you ok with housing the two separately for the next 10 years?

It really should be your girl rabbit that chooses her potential bondmate. She can't do that until after she is spayed (and healed). Then she would need to meet already-fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility. This is the only sure way to wind up with a compatible match. Rabbit rescues (not generic shelters) will allow these pre-meets and then, if they don't get along, will allow an exchange.

I never thought about that! I've seen people get rid of rabbits and give them to shelters because they didn't get along with their partners which is quite sad :(

hi guys, so im planning to get my 1 year old, spayed female bunny a partner and after months of searching ive fallen in love with another bun. He is 1 years old too and is so adorable, the only thing is that he is not neutered. So i have made a plan of getting him neutered as soon as i get him, keep both bunnies apart until he heals (i might even put their cages beside each other so they at least can talk) and then slowly bond them. My mom brought up the point that it may be too much for this new bunny to handle, being in a new environment then going straight to the vet to be neutered and then meeting another bunny. But i think that he would be alright, i just wanted to see someone elses opinion on it. So my question is do you think it would be too much for this new bunny to handle? Also if you have any advice on how to make him feel comfortable with these changes, thanks guys!

Could you talk to a shelter about adopting a rabbit? They offer bunny dates and they even bond the buns for you, as well as the buns are always neutered, vaccinated and health checked so it saves a lot of money!

Latest posts

Back