Reaction to vaccination

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Reaction score
I took all my rabbits to get them vaccinated against RHD with Cyclap vaccine and the next day one of them, Julio, had a big red spot where he was vaccinated. It almost looked like a burn.
Otherwise, he seems perky and playful, eating as normal.

I emailed the photo of big red spot someone I know that has a rabbitry and has had many rabbits vaccinated. She said it sometimes happens and it will go away in about a week, there may be a big bald spot. She seemed to think I didn't need to worry.

What I have been doing for it is dripping sterile saline irrigation fluid on it to keep it clean. I'm afraid to put anything on it stronger than that.

I will probably ring my vet tomorrow, the only reason I haven't gone to the vet yet is because my vet isn't that great with rabbits and I'm almost afraid he might do something to make it worse.

The first photo was taken about 24 hours after the vaccination. The second photo is 5 days later. It seems like new red spots are forming around that perimeter which concerns me. In the second photo I know it looks a little yellowish but I think that is a sort of light scab forming- not infection. But still its day 5 and it hasn't gone away and looks like it might still be growing.
I just don't know.
Has anyone had experience with this? Is it a reaction to the vaccine or is it a bacteria infection?

rabbitsoreinjection.jpg

rabbitinjection5.jpg

Oh no, I'm sorry! Poor guy :(

So I'm not any kind of expert on these things but I will give my two cents. It does look like what you would see with a vaccine reaction and I don't think it's coincidence that it's right where the injection was.

To me the second photo actually doesn't look worse, I think it is improving. It isn't bright red anymore and you can see it scabbing. I'm guessing the red on the edges is actually scabbing as well, because it isn't bright red. Redness and scabbing is typical in an animal who has had a reaction to a vaccine or injection. Usually with bacterial skin infections it will look more crusty.

So I would keep doing what you're doing and make sure it doesn't get worse or spread. Definitely contact your vet if you continue to feel concerned about it.

I hope Julio heals up soon :)

Those photos arent that clear so its hard to tell.
Looks more like a hematoma. Like perhaps a vessel was hit during injection.
If youre worried about a vaccine reaction plain benadryl can be given but this many days after its likely not a reaction issue anymore.
It probably getting irritated with just fussing over the spot and movement. Just leave it with out dripping anything on it. If it is a scab it will heal better if left alone rather then always getting wet.

Thanks everyone. I think it is a reaction to the vaccine somehow. Scab looks a little thicker today and I think its healing. Edge seems a little redder but I think its because its where his body naturally creases at the neck line. Wish I could post a better photo but right now my camera is refusing to talk to my computer something needs an update.

Latest posts

Back