Reaching maturity and neutering

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigglebread

Reaction score
So soon in these next few months I need to make an appointment to get my guy neutered. He has hit the 4-5 month age mark and is now mounting my dog, my leg, leaving more poop then normal outside the litter box on my floor, and I caught him peeing on my pillow again this morning. The peeing on the bed habit was broken I thought when I trained him, he took to litter training very quick, but I'm assuming he is now marking territory and being a "rebel". I have to now squirt bottle spray him till he gets down.

When some of you got your male neutered did most of these habits get back to a normal pace? I used to be able to wake up in the morning early and just open his cage then go back to bed and not have to worry, but now I can't do that if he's peeing all over my bed in my sleep or when I'm out of the room. He's normally open cage free during the day but I put him to bed at night.

Sounds like he can be neutered now. Bad habits can become ingrained (I've heard) if the neuter is put off too long.
It's not at all uncommon for a bun to lose litter training habits when those hormones kick in. He may even start spraying urine (what fun!).

I agree he can probably be neutered now. Hopefully the neuter will take care of unwanted behavior but there is no way to say for sure. I will say that rabbits have a thing for couches and beds....they like to pee on them! I'm not sure of it's because they are soft and smell like their human slaves or what, but alot of times a neuter won't stop bed or couch peeing. Darn buns ;)
But, I think you will be pleased overall after the neuter. It just makes them more enjoyable companions.

Thanks guys, I want to put it off 1 more month due to already being incredibly broke on bills but I might just shell the credit card out for this coming month and have it done, I don't want him having this behavior instilled on him. I'll continue to spray him when he jumps on the bed and hopefully he learns he's not allowed...

Maybe you should schedule the spay appointment, as I imagine it will make you better able to tolerate the behavior until then. But remember the hormones don't go away instantly with the surgery, so the behaviors probably will continue for awhile after that.

Latest posts

Back