Re-bonding with a former friend, how?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igorsMistress

Reaction score
I have a female rabbit, she's spayed, and she was previously housed with an unneutered male. They've been separated for a couple of months. As it turns out, he's in need of a home so I've agreed to take him and will have him neutered, calling today to make an appointment.

Since they knew each other will they require separation and need time to get to know each other again? I'd lije to keep them in the same pen.

Thanks much!

Hi, if they were separated for a few months it is very likely that they won't remember each other.

Also after neutering a male housed with a female can still keep spraying and humping a lot up to 6-8 weeks after neutering, so it depends on your rabbits and if your female will tolerate that or she can get angry and go after him if he keeps chasing her, and she can seriously damage him so I would still keep them separated until 2 months after neutering. since you have a large beautiful housing for them you can probably just make a temporary separator between them so they will be able to be together and even touch each other and communicate but he won't be able to chase her. But also he can get nervous if he will see a female so close all the time so it depends on your rabbits actually. Maybe you can build a wall between them for now.

Think wall would be better actually since he can start spraying urine all over the place when he will see her - you won't like it.

Hi, if they were separated for a few months it is very likely that they won't remember each other.

Also after neutering a male housed with a female can still keep spraying and humping a lot up to 6-8 weeks after neutering, so it depends on your rabbits and if your female will tolerate that or she can get angry and go after him if he keeps chasing her, and she can seriously damage him so I would still keep them separated until 2 months after neutering. since you have a large beautiful housing for them you can probably just make a temporary separator between them so they will be able to be together and even touch each other and communicate but he won't be able to chase her. But also he can get nervous if he will see a female so close all the time so it depends on your rabbits actually. Maybe you can build a wall between them for now.

Think wall would be better actually since he can start spraying urine all over the place when he will see her - you won't like it.
Thank you, I figured as much. Definitely getting him neutered before he comes here then.

Latest posts

Back