Re-bonding after vet visit ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abaez

Reaction score
Hi!
i just adopted 2 male buns from owner that neglected them a bit. They are 4 years old, lived in separate cages and now are range free in my place.First two weeks they were inseparable, would groom and play all over.I had to take Appa to the vet for an eye infection that he seemed to have for a long time. Momo seemed concerned when I took him but when I got back they got into a fight I had to break up.

since then they havent been able to be together, they thump at each other and when I try to reintroduce them they always end up fighting. Momo seems scared of Appa. Appa is also receiving some smelly eyedrops that I thought might make Momo scared.

i divided the house in two, and switch them up from time to time so they have each others smell everywhere and when I’m home I open the door an have a fence separating them, sometimes i sit there are feed them treats so they get close to each other.

what else can I do ? I would love for them to be together again, they seem pretty moody now 😫
any tips ?

Attachments

• 7FED974C-613A-42FE-A7CE-672350C16A40.jpeg
    7FED974C-613A-42FE-A7CE-672350C16A40.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 4
Are they neutered?

It's unfortunate this happened. Bonded buns have to stay together all the time - most especially if one needs to go to the vet. Both should go so that one does not return smelling differently than before.

It sounds like you are doing the right things, keeping an eye on them, allowing them to switch roaming areas. Hopefully they'll be able to get back to normal. Give it time.

Are they neutered?

It's unfortunate this happened. Bonded buns have to stay together all the time - most especially if one needs to go to the vet. Both should go so that one does not return smelling differently than before.

It sounds like you are doing the right things, keeping an eye on them, allowing them to switch roaming areas. Hopefully they'll be able to get back to normal. Give it time.

yes they’re neutered
hmm I didn’t know, hopefully they’ll be bonded again and wont separate them again. Thanks ! 🙏

Appa has to go for a check up soon,but I dont think Ill be able to put them in a same carrier without fighting. Should I still try to take both ? Maybe in different carriers?

The stress of the car ride may let them ride in the same carrier, but I wouldn't try it unless you have someone else (not driving) that can monitor them (armed with an oven mitt).
Otherwise, yes, I'd still suggest bringing them both even if in separate but side-by-side carriers, and then having them together as much as possible while at the vets (which may be more often since they'll be stressed).

Latest posts

Back