Re: Annabel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissBinky

Reaction score
I wanted to share this with forum members so that you guys won't get the wrong impression... I also know that some are thinking wrongly, so I felt the need to say it.

I must start off by saying: I do not want to rehome Annabel.

I struggled for years to keep my rabbits. Yes, that is right, years. My father was extremely allergic to Wiggles but he knew just how much she meant to me so he tried as long as he could. Luckily, things happened and I ended up deciding to move out. Actually, the one thing that made me decide to get my appartment was the fact that where I was going, Wiggles couldn't come and Wiggles couldn't stay behind.I wasn't leaving without Wiggles.

Once I got the apartment, I was free to do as I wished. Well, til Mario got here. Then he left, and so I took in the rabbits as I wanted. The crappy thing with allergies is that sometimes you don't know you are allergic. In fact, I had tested negative to rabbits in the past. But being exposed to the allergen on such regular basis means I developped an allergy, and a severe one at that.

Before long, my ventolin inhaler was no longer working. My attacks were getting severe enough that I'd have to be rushed directly to the ER. I didn't even have time to bother with inhalers. Bronchitis, sinusitis... I'd have them 5-6 times a year and they'd take forever to go away. Zithromax wasn't working so I'd have to have double rounds of Biaxin with heavy doses of prednisone. Because of this, I developped Cushing's Syndrome. Recently, I went beyond bronchitis and started going straight for pneumonia instead and was requiring even more hospital care.

- Nasonex - Combivent - Symbicort - Advair - Singulair - Prednisone - Benadryl

That's just for my allergies and asthma. You're going to say that some of those are inhalers and I should only be using one not all 3. Well should is the keyword, but right now should is not possible for me because it's not controlled anymore.

The day I was told all this was linked to the rabbits, the first thing in my head was "It's not true" I thought that all doctors were against people with allergies and asthma and allergies owning any type of pet and therefore it was some huge conspiracy to have me disown my beloved pets. And then the allergist took the time and effort to explain to me why it was happening, and then it made sense. I was angry, very angry.

I had left my parent's house because they couldn't give a hoot about me being their daughter as long asI brought home money. Then my boyfriend takes off for over a year, leaving me clueless as to whether or not he'd ever come back and when. I was stranded. Those bunnies? They were my family, my friends, my companions. They were the ones who were there with me when I cried, whenI was ill, when I needed a laugh, anything... And I failed them.

When Wiggles died... There's just no words.Many of you talk about how much it hurt you, but I still cn't put it into words after all this time. I still get that lump in my throat, the tears, the feeling of not being able to breathe... Annabel was the one who made it hurt less, made me cry less. She made me giggle at her silliness instead and made me remember Wiggles because there are things that she does that only Wiggles would do.

So no, if I could keep Annabel, believe me, I will be keeping her. I adore that girl too much. But if I can't, if I cannot, if I must absolutely find her another home, then I will make sure that the next person will love her even half as much as I do because i know that even then she will be ok.

:tears2:

I just wanted you to know.

:hug:

Even though you think we have had differences, I am still here if you do want to talk.

I read your thread about Annabel, as you know and yes, every option someone gave you you knocked back. It reminded me very much of when I ask for help for ideas for getting mental health support. When you have tried as much as you can think of, and when you only post because you are desperate and can't think of anything else, most ideas will get knocked back. That doesn't mean you don't appreciate the replies, it just means that you have tried that and you are asking for a gem of advice or a sparkle of hope for some idea, or just some something that you can work from to develop another idea.

I just hope you get that gem. Maybe it might be worth talking to Randy about her problems and seeing if he can recommend anything?

Thanks Tracy.

That's exactly what i was looking for. A glimmer of hope, something that said "it's not over yet" it doesn't have to be. I came here hoping that with the thousands of members on this site, maybe we might be able to pool our ideas together so that I'd find something new to work with. But I guess that is a priviledge I don't have as it's been so clearly stated in the other thread. So thank you everyone who tried to help. To the mods, you can close the thread. I'll figure it out on my own.

I can see why angieluv said what she did, although I'm not saying I think she was right to say it, however, just because one person has given you a not very supportive reply, doesn't mean that you won't still get that glimmer of hope. The most recent reply has some very good ideas, and other people will come on with even more, and that may also help other people get different ideas that you can try.

Please don't cut off your nose to spite your face just because someone said something that hurt, you love Annabel more than that, and you never know what will come from that thread in the future.

I wanted to apologize for letting it get to me the way it did. I am hurting and it angered me to be told not to ask for help when I need it and from a place that I thought was there to help when needed. I'm tired of asking for help about rabbits and it always ending up about me for some reason or other. If I had decided to rehome Annabel and didn't want to avoid it, I wouldn't come here lookingto get grief for it. I ain't a massochist.

After speaking with BlueGiants, I am going to give the no pellet diet a try. I am going to see if it changes anything and see how her weight holds with it. It'll be tricky to find good qualityhay (we only have Hagen stuff here - well my area)but I am hoping that maybe I can work something out with the other pet shop.

When we are that stressed and desperate any slightly negative comment can blow us completely out of whack.

I'm glad you are going to give that a go. I hope it helps. Maybe when you are feeling calmer, you could maybe think about whether you might want your thread unlocked for even more ideas to come you way.

Oh Sophie, I'm so so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.:(

I really hope that you are able to find a way to work this out, however if you can't and have to rehome Annabel we all understand and are here for you.

Thinking of you dear. I'm here if you ever want a chat.:hug:

Oh this is awefull :(, poor you Sophie, gah, I wish there was something I could do to help.

I'm allergic to rabbits but only get bad hayfever-like symptoms from it, feels like I have a cold all the time, and that alone drives me nuts sometimes, so I can't even begin to understand how horrible your allergies are. They sound so bad!

My allergies have worsened my eye condition severely (keratoconus, my corneas are very thin and peak outwards in a low pyramid shape rather than gently rounded like most peoples) because of the years of constantly rubbing furiously at my itchy eyes. Because my corneas are thin, when I rub them I stretch and scar them.

Some days I just feel so fed up with my eyes and nose and throat feeling like they are full of itching powder, that I just have to stick Sakura outside in her play-hutch area otherwise I feel like crying and I need some space from her and how she aggravates my allergies.

So I totally understand that if for your own health, which should be of 100% importance to you, that you need to rehome or or whatever you need to do to start feeling better again. You should always be important enough to yourself to put yourself first when you need to be.

Michelle :hug:

Here is a solution that I think would likely work:
It is my understanding that this is an NIC cage design, or similar deal with wires. Thus, as air moves through it easily, volatile compounds and allergens can move OUT of the NIC cage easily.

You must restrict the air flow through the volatile areas.
Here is the new hutch you would require:
http://www.treadwaygallery.com/ONLINECATALOGS/December2005/catalog/images/large/1034.jpg
(If you open it into a separate window, my explanation will be clearer :)

You can pick up this style at many used goods shop, salvation army, what have you. I chose sliding doors because they are easier to work with than deconstructing a buffet with drawers.

This is Slaty's house.
http://www.tvstandshowcase.com/prodimages-cdls/CG/CG-CS580M-14-s.jpg
Sturcutre is like the top of this cage: http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2116445/Townhouse089088-main_Full.jpg

I cannot smell him. He has two glass doors on the front, and one solid sliding door at the back, which has its own little section. This is where his litter pan is. I have cut a rabbit sized hole allowing him entry between the two internal sections of the cabinet.

Airholes are in the back of the cabinent, and the glass doors are always a bit ajar for airflow. However, no air penetrates his litterbox area.
***** Rabbits live in burrows, deep in the earth. They do not have constant breezes blowing through their homes. This design is very similar to a burrow.

There will be shelves inside the cabinent. Orient your hole in the top over a shelf, so the rabbit would be able to jump out of the inside onto the top of the cabinent.

Take cable staples, and tack down an NIC cage around the pertimeter of the cabinent top . See my cage thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=41394&forum_id=1

Alternatly, you can build a house like the one in my thread, except put a front on the house, with two solid wood doors at the bottom to retrieve poops/clean litter.
In this way, you would place all food and water and litter inside the structure, where it isn't affected by airflow throughthe room. Annabel would sit at the top, or in the internal levels. Obviously, you can build a ramp stemming from a middle internal level to let her out for play.

This is the best solution I can see, housing -wise.
You might also invest in a wire cage like this one:
Here is a similar building alternative:
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rabbits/a/rabbitcageidea.htm
>>> must cover the wire with particle board sheets.. leave wire cage door, but cover everything else.

Remember, you can pay someone else to build this for you, if you aren't particularly handy :)

I recognize that she is also having gastric problems. However, if you can get the stomach working properly, you won't likely have a problem with the ammonia compounds of urine moving through the wood of a cage like I have suggested.

There are many factors involved here... Hay, rabbit tummy, rabbit poops, rabbit fur...

If you are going to rehome her though, I think it is very important to get any stomach problems taken care of before she goes. Otherwise, a diarrhea-ridden rabbit is not likely to get many takers :)

Someone else knows nutrition far better than I do, but it seems to be a fibre problem if it isn't illness related.
Good sources of fibre is obviously hay, but also the canned pumpkin, zucchini, prunes bran, and celery for people. Legumes are a good source, but will make her gassy, thus not safe.

It is my opinion that the housing needs to be drastically altered, a lot more fibre going into bunny to firm up poops, and addition of airfilters if you don't already have them.
Also, I understand that some people with allergies cannot handle having carpet in their homes... May need to consider getting a place with hard/laminate floors...

That's all I can think of right now... wrists are getting sore from all that typing! :)

Oh, Sophie, I didn't see this thread until now. I went and read your other thread too. I'm so sorry Annabel is causing so many problems for you, and was hopeful that rehoming the other bunnies would ease up your allergies. I know how horrible your allergies are :(

I know you've got other ideas, here are a couple more though. Have you considered switching her to Oxbow pellets now, and then having someone ship them to you in Greece? I know I'd be willing to split the cost of shipping pellets to you. How often would you be coming back to Canada? The pellets have a pretty long shelf life (I got some Oxbow pellets that are good until 2010) if they aren't opened, you could cram your suitcase full of bags of pellets and be set for over a year! That may be easier than trying to ship food from Greece to Canada?

I know my bunnies' litter boxes don't stink until the litter gets disturbed when I'm dumping it out. Is Annabel digging in her litter boxes a lot? I could see why that would make her stinkier! Rory was digging in his litter box and I had to go buy a fluorescent light fixture grate, cut it to size and then put it in his boxes. It's much too stiff for him to pull out of the box and he can't dig anymore. It cost I think $10 for enough for at least 8 litter boxes (if not more) and of course they're reusable, I haven't had to replace the originals in his boxes at all yet and it's been almost 2 months.

You said she's been peeing and pooing in her food and water bowls, could you give her water in a water bottle and buy one of those food dishes that bolts to the side of the cage? You could put it up fairly high so she couldn't get her butt in it! If you don't want to do a water bottle, you could put her water in a bowl like that too.

Last of all, how much does it cost to spay a rabbit in Quebec? I know Mario is reluctant, but it may be worth it to spend the money so you can find out if spaying her would solve any of the problems. If he doesn't want to pony up the cash, I would be more than happy to help you... You know I love Bella and I want you to be able to keep her!

You've probably already thought of all these ideas, but maybe one will be useful! So sorry you're going through this :(

No one who has been on here reading about you and your bunnies, hearing you try to help others with problems and the like, could really think that you WANT to let go of Annabel. I just wanted you to know that I am not judging you at all, and if you ever want to talk/vent, my pm box is open.

Jess,

Thanks. It's just been one thing after another and just feeling a bit overwhelmed. So close to moving too :?Thanks again :rose:

Michelle,

Thanks :hug:That eye issue doesn't sound pleasant? I've noticed that I've injured my eye myself? Like I have a lilflap of skin now from scratching too much. Kindagross really. Lol. Isthat sorta like what you have? Yeah, I think only people with allergies could reallyunderstand. Allergies can definitely make you feel miserable. Then ifI'm not feeling miserable enough,I'm drowsy as heck from all the meds and getting more migraines from being stuffed up. Plus, being stuffed up worsens sleep apnea so it's just an awful cycle really. Lol:foreheadsmack:

Northern Autumn,

That is really cool. Do you think I'd be able to find a cabinet like that that wouldn't exceed the width of a single NIC grid? I'm asking because I have to keep that passageway wheelchair accessible and I'm not able to exceed that width at this time but I think it'd be possible no?

Also, what did you use as flooring to prevent the wood from rotting? Annabel throws her stuff around so there's always water :)It'd be important that it be looked into as we have a humidity problem and I'd be really concerned about mold buildup.

Not to criticize, but is the airflow sufficient not to be concerned? I guess I'm paranoid with that, I'd feel like I'm suffocating her, especially if she smells bad. I also don't want to worsen the airflow and constrain the ammonia as to not cause her respiratory problems. However, if you say that this really is ok and you tested and had no problems, then I guess I could give it a shot, provided I could find one with the appropriate measures. :)

Shiloh,

Thanks so much for your friendship. I did consider the Oxbow however the costs were like phenomenal. It already would cost quite a bit to get them here, but then the postage would be ridiculous. Bringing them in the luggage is another issue because not only do we have weight limitations and with Mario's equipment it's already hard, but also because countries have very strict laws about certain things and I believe this might fall under the restricted things as they might feel there is a chance for parasites, etc. etc. I'm not sure though, so I'd have to look into that. Certainly havingto carry 50lbs of rabbit feed in the luggage every 6 months or so might be an issue. At this point, I think my original idea of putting her on a natural diet is the right one. The thing is I assumed that her mooshy poops and all were caused directly by fresh foods but I guess now that it may have more to do with the pellets themselves so I will try what Blue Giants suggested and cut them out of the equation.

As for the bowls, I tried those er, hanging bowls (crock?) and well it wasn't heavy enough and she still managed to throw it down and pee in it :grumpy:Lol. She's not too too bad about it though and she mostly does it when I put her back in her cage. She has a water bottle now though she throws that down as well. I'm going to be fixing that so she can't unhook it so easily. Other than that, I guess she's been spraying. I had my doubts before but I guess I am seeing it more and more that that's most likely what is happening.

Spaying her will cost 45$ for the consult + 150$ for the spay. We'll see what gives first though. If I can keep her, she'll get spayed. If I can't, I'll make sure she gets spayed either way.

Tracy,

I'm hanging in there. Thanks for the kick in the butt :rose::hug1I needed it. :nod

Thank you Gentle Giants (sorry, I'm afraid I might have your real name wrong and don't want to look like an idiot lol). I am trying with all my might. Thank you for your offer as well. :rose:

Slate's cage is about one NIC cube wide, maybe add 3 inches...
Cut linoleum to cover the floor, and wipe it out when needed. Bolt a waterbottle holder into the inside of the hutch, and attach the waterbottle. She won't be able to move it to spill it.

The air is no issue. Slatey has had his hutch for over 3 years now, and he has no health problems at all. I leave the doors ajar, and have large air holes along the back drilled.
Remember, rabbits live in burrows and warrens underground...

Mind you, if she is having digestive issues that aren't solved to reduce the smell, this would not be a good scenario. It is really important to get the tummy fixed first.

Like I wrote before, maybe you should look into alternative fibre sources.

Some wonderful support and ideas in here, I hope you are coping ok today Sophie :D.

I'm probably going against the entire RO-grain here when I say this, but I think often we animal loving people tend to put our animals so far above us, that we can sometimes seriously harm our health or even our relationships with people. Sometimes we do need to step back and re-evaluate our thinking, because whilst animals mean far more to me than most humans do, I would always put my health first and foremost or the relationships I have with the people that I love. You only get one body, one chance at life, one mother and father or sister or brother etc etc. And if you can't come up with a solution that saves you or your relationships sometimes finding a home for that animal is actually the best thing you could do for it.

You aren't much good to your pets or your loved ones if you are very ill or constantly 'floating' because of medication. There is only one 'you' and you are precious and you need to look after yourself (I'm speaking in general terms here, not at Sophie in particular).

I really wish that you weren't allergic to Annabel because I know how much she means to you :(.

Michelle

NZminilops wrote:
Some wonderful support and ideas in here, I hope you are coping ok today Sophie :D.

I'm probably going against the entire RO-grain here when I say this, but I think often we animal loving people tend to put our animals so far above us, that we can sometimes seriously harm our health or even our relationships with people. Sometimes we do need to step back and re-evaluate our thinking, because whilst animals mean far more to me than most humans do, I would always put my health first and foremost or the relationships I have with the people that I love. You only get one body, one chance at life, one mother and father or sister or brother etc etc. And if you can't come up with a solution that saves you or your relationships sometimes finding a home for that animal is actually the best thing you could do for it.

You aren't much good to your pets or your loved ones if you are very ill or constantly 'floating' because of medication. There is only one 'you' and you are precious and you need to look after yourself (I'm speaking in general terms here, not at Sophie in particular).

I really wish that you weren't allergic to Annabel because I know how much she means to you :(.

Michelle
michelle....i'm so happy that you posted this. i love being on this forum and feel that i've learned a lot and made a ton of friends (even if i only know you by your bunnies names!!lol) but there is so much truth to what you posted. it's one thing to rehome a pet if you've "lost interest". but when it comes to your health you HAVE to take care of yourself. Life is so precious. I am greatful for every day that i have just living and breathing. I love my bun Liffey to death but when it comes down to it....he is my pet. he is my enjoyment and i love him dearly. but if i had a child that got so sick from him that my child was in the hospital all the time then liffey would have to go. and i know there are people that would love to shoot me for saying that but we all as people are given such a precious gift of life and living. there are other ways to enjoy life if you are allergic to pets. my sister in law is so allergic that if i hold liffey and then go to her house and even just stand in the same room as her she will go into anaphaltic shock. she will need to be rushed to the ER and they push tubes down her throat to keep her alive. She literally has trouble leaving her house. If she goes to the grocery store and stands too close to someone who has animals she immediately can't breathe. and she will start to have seizures. it is really scary. I am so greatful that i do not have allergies like that. i'm just allergic to plant life. but even that can change. as a kid i was never allergic to anything. the older i got the worse it got. i take a ton of allergy pills just to get thru the day and i always feel like i have a cold. luckily i am not allergic to liffey. ok i've run on a bit but michelle i thank you for putting this whole situation into perspective. we have a responsibility to take care of our health......after all this is the life that God has blessed us with.

I agree with Michelle, but equally it's personal choice and sometimes it is worse to give up than keep. I was told I needed to be in hospital for a year or two which would mean rehoming the majority of mine, yet chose not to go to hospital, and chose not to rehome because I didn't think I could do that to them. I think what MissBinky is doing is the best thing, which is looking for all the different options and possibilities, and working through them, and then looking at the worst case scenario after having done all that. That means you've tried your hardest MissBinky and that's all anyone can do. I hope you find something that helps, but if not, I hope you find an ace home for her :)

Soph, sorry to hear the ideas aren't helpful! How frustrating for you. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I know I'm quite a ways from you, but if it comes to you having to rehome Annabel (which I hope it doesn't), I would be more than willing to figure out a way to get her little hiney here to Alaska.

Latest posts

Back