Rate My Enclosure : Please be -Very- Critical

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeanutsPlace

Reaction score
9FB697FE-3498-4C0A-B187-AA9E1DBD66D9.jpeg1B9B16A6-9E89-4AFE-B751-A2EB7BF823E6.jpeg37FC9DCA-F7AC-41CA-98CD-737DEBD577CA.jpegF880504B-083C-4697-90B5-D2169EBC3186.jpeg19A40333-1066-43CD-94AB-2A70E2416259.jpeg
As I Said be Very critical. Say anything you can think of for me to improve upon, also the cage door is never closed! I look foward to seeing your responses. This cage holds two bunnies, Peanut a male 1year old bunny and Honey a 8 month old bunny. Honey is a dwarf Hotot, Peanut is a Rex netherland dwarf mix, they are both around 3 pounds. They do get out and run around for about 3-4 hours a day! This cage is 7 by 7 feet! So 49 square feet! there is a tarp under ir so if they pee it doesn’t damage the carpet, and there is a sheet on top which are very easy to sweep the hay of off! We like to “rotate” the toys in the cage, for example I might switch the castle for a willow tent. so on and so forth. They have a lot of toys that they can choose from, and I hope you guys like it!
Hides!

• Toki Hut Castle - 82.00 (freeship)
bendy bridge
Willow Tent
tunnel haven
• MiniCamp Cat Size Tent- 92.00+ (no freeship)
• Easter Camper is from Target (not available)*
• Cat house is from home goods (not available)*
• LittleBeastTreats Bendable tunnel - 16.99 (no freeship)
• Oxbow Timothy Tunnel - ranges in price
• Beds!
• BlossomandPoppy Boho Bunny Bed (Ikea bed)- $65.00 (freeship)
• Bunnies with Aloha Bunny Bedding - $36 (freeship)
• Bunnies with Aloha hop and flop - not available
• ShopCreationsByKiwi Cage liner+hay bag+PeePad - $60 (freeship)
• ShopCreationsByKiwi Mystery Mini Peepads - $20.00 (freeship)
• Bunny Hammock Cooperstudios
• (Christmas) Foraging Mat - Tokihut
• Toys!
• FuzBunBoutique Toy Bundle - $25.00 (freeship)
• ThisHBS Rattle - $6.00 (nofreeship)
• TimberValleyRabbits- Foraging Willow Ball - $8 (nofreeship)
• Woven Mat
• Timmothy Carrot - $3.59
• Timmothy Twists - $1.99
• Rattle - 2.99
• FuzBunBoutique Vine forage ball
• Mushie Stacking Cups - 14.99
SmallPetSelect Wonder Table -$79.99
• Stary Night Balsa Fling - 8.25 (nofreeship)
• Balsa Wood Blocks - $4.00 (no freeship)
• FloppyBuntique Rainbow Balsa Fling
• Balsa Blocks
•Treat Ball- $9.95
• 5andbelow Cat Tunnel - $5.00
• Other!
• 5andBelow Travel Bowl - $3.00
• Furplast 160 Cage - $139.99
• Water And Food Bowl - $8.95
• Litter For Litter Box Horse Stall Bedding - $6.29
• Critical Care
• water jug-home goods
measures - home goods
• Things from dollar tree
• Scrub brush (both variants
• Baby Wipes
• Lint rollers
• dustpan
• broom
• DIY
• My treats
• Dig box
• Charcole glad peepads- PeePads I use
• Air Purifier
(I get treat hay from PetSmart)
• I hope this helped you all! I most likely forgot things haha

Keeping the hood on the cage as is can be a limb-catching hazard for rabbits when curious to jump onto it. I recommend covering the top with a thick cloth/flooring or removing that top section altogether.

Generally any structure along the pen wall with some elevation can be used as a means of escape when motivated.

I agree with @John Wick. The platform by the oxbow Timothy tunnel in particular is a place your bunnies may use to hop the pen, though I think the bed on the other side is low enough to deter them.

This setup looks like your rabbit has a lot of stuff to break boredom with.
I am left wondering about one of the various tunnels and archways that lead to nowhere/are blocked by another object. Like that orange tunnel right up against the wooden castle thing, is there an actual entrance or a dead end? I'd also personally favour one longer tunnel over many shorter ones. Maybe you can try linking some tunnels up during the next rotation and see how your rabbit fares?
I also agree with the fact that the cage door left open and above is a danger for a curious rabbit. They will eventually go and have a look. Better cover it with something that can support bun when they go to snoop there. Here's a visual example (older photo taken for the sake of photo) of something that was short-term effective. You gould definetly do a more secure version of this.20210318_142545.jpg
Also, if said bun isn't fixed yet, there's a high chance you'll run into cleanliness issues. Despite fixing status, some buns may fancy chewing everything fabric, so it's just a little thing to be mindful of. You might want to try a digging box filled with shredded paper or rough hay.
Also, this pen height and the decor lined next to it give me clear signs that if your bun really wanted, they could hop over. Rabbits are quite mischevious and pre-set with escape artistry. If they never try this, you're lucky. If they do, and you intend to securely keep them in, you'd have to do some wall elongating.

I keep the cage in for the litter box area. Honey tends to miss the litter box by just a little bit no matter the size, so it keeps the cage easier to clean. And thanks for all the tips guys!! I will be taking off the roof of the cage!

I tried putting a sheet down and it was a nightmare. It made more of a mess and just wasn't worth the aggravation. I ended up with the foam "tiles"

I tried putting a sheet down and it was a nightmare. It made more of a mess and just wasn't worth the aggravation. I ended up with the foam "tiles"
Hm! Ive had this setup for a bit, they don’t seem to take interest in the sheet? maybe i’m lucky!

I use sheets as well, I'd be scared they would chew and invest the foam tiles

I think it'd be good to have either a larger litter box (maybe the cage base can be turned into a nice sized litter box) or a second one, so they have space to get away from each other if necessary because rabbits can be territorial over their litter boxes sometimes.

I agree with @Catlyn and what they said about the tunnels, also rabbits do best with hideouts with 2 or more exits because they are prey animals :)

(New Account because I forgot the login info plus I wanted a new name)
I recently got a new litterbox! It is a plastic container converted to a litterbox. I'll consider getting a second one! Thanks for all the advice!

Latest posts

Back