Raspy breathing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLuvMyLilBuns

Reaction score
I've just noticed my 2 year old holland lop is breathing really weird. It's kind of raspy/wheezy and he moves his head when he makes the noise. When I move him he stops for a little while and he stops every once in a while but it's pretty constant, other then the breathing he is perfectly normal and happy! Also, his nose is a little wet and his chin is wet but I'm not sure if that's just from drinking water from a bowl.

It's very cold outside and he has been in my garage that isn't heated but I moved him into my bedroom. Should I be worried he has pneumonia or a respiratory problem or is this normal? He's always breathed like this every once in a while but never constantly. Thanks for any advice!! :)

Last edited:
It is good that you brought him inside. Sounds like pneumonia to me and the very best thing that you can do is keep him comfy and take him to the vet (rabbit savvy) ASAP . Let us know...vet will most likely do an x-ray, listen to his chest and prescribe some antibiotics

Is pneumonia the only thing it can be? he does it for a bit but stops for awhile and he's acting completely normal other then that. Like I said, he's always breathed like this when I picked him up, he's just doing it more now. :( Our vet is almost a 2 hour drive so I just want to make sure this is something serious!

Last edited:
By "always", how long do you mean? Wheezy breathing is definitely not normal, and i'm thinking it could be a respiratory infection that could've been there for months but is now slowly getting worse. I'd at least call the vet and get a professional opinion on whether to bring him in.

By "always", how long do you mean? Wheezy breathing is definitely not normal, and i'm thinking it could be a respiratory infection that could've been there for months but is now slowly getting worse. I'd at least call the vet and get a professional opinion on whether to bring him in.

As long as I can remember and I've had him his whole life. He would breathe weird when I held him on his back and so when I first got him I brought him to the vet right away to make sure he didn't have a respiratory problem and the vet said he does it because he's excited. Well now I've just noticed him doing it all the time and the noise is hard to describe. It's almost like he's having a hard time breathing or like his nose is stuffed! :( He's in my bedroom and sometimes his breathing is so loud I can't sleep, kinda annoying. I'm thinking i should take him to the vet, would they have to do an x-ray or how do they determine if he has respiratory issues? Also what's the treatment?

Last edited:
Maybe it's an allergy? Some bunnies are allergic to certain types of hay, or dust. I don't think an x ray would be necessary, but I don't know much about respiratory treatment. The vet might just prescribe some anti-inflammatory meds and see if it helps.

Latest posts

Back