Rash in chin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

I have noticed a rash in my rabbits chin, when dry, you are able to pick this hardened puss (or atleast i assume its puss). At first i thought it was wound from his long nails, as we had a small break from cutting the nails because the scissors were lost.
Well i called vet and told them about the situation, as the rash dont affect the rabbits eating nor it does not seem like he is in pain the vet said i shall use vetramil for few weeks and if the rash aint gone we should go to see the vet. Well that is what we are going to do, but i was still wonderind that does anyone know what has caused this? An allergy? I must admit i have been giving him treats lately (rabbit friendly ofc). Or could it be fungal infection OR mites?
The picture shows how the skin looks like when i have already used vetramil, kinda red and irritated.
His teeth should be fine as there is no change in his eating habits.

. WhatsApp Image 2022-05-24 at 10.08.10 PM.jpeg

That my friend is a bacterial skin infection. It's exactly that my does have right now. I treated it with Vetericyn Plus Wound & Skin Care for a week and it healed. It happened to my girls because they kept getting their water bowls dirty, and bacteria built up.

That my friend is a bacterial skin infection. It's exactly that my does have right now. I treated it with Vetericyn Plus Wound & Skin Care for a week and it healed. It happened to my girls because they kept getting their water bowls dirty, and bacteria built up.
i ordered that same thing now! Lets hope this will heal fast! :)

Is there a hole or wound that pus is coming out of, or is there just crustiness on the skins surface and in the fur? It won't be pus if there isn't actually any type of wound.

If it is pus and there is a wound, then your rabbit will need to be seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet, and have xrays and a thorough dental exam, as well as getting put on a rabbit safe antibiotic. A wet chin and infection around the mouth, is usually related to dental issues.

If there isn't a wound, then there won't be any pus, but could be some crustiness from drooling. Consistent drooling is usually linked to dental problems. This can still be the case even though your rabbit is still eating fine. Or if your rabbit drinks from a dish, some rabbits will have problems with their chin getting soaked from the drinking, and the fur not drying out properly after. So if this is happening, then you may need to change your rabbits water dish to something that prevents the chin from getting soaked.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Teeth
If you have a photo from before cleaning, that might actually be better for determining the cause of the skin problem.

Is there a hole or wound that pus is coming out of, or is there just crustiness on the skins surface and in the fur? It won't be pus if there isn't actually any type of wound.

If it is pus and there is a wound, then your rabbit will need to be seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet, and have xrays and a thorough dental exam, as well as getting put on a rabbit safe antibiotic. A wet chin and infection around the mouth, is usually related to dental issues.

If there isn't a wound, then there won't be any pus, but could be some crustiness from drooling. Consistent drooling is usually linked to dental problems. This can still be the case even though your rabbit is still eating fine. Or if your rabbit drinks from a dish, some rabbits will have problems with their chin getting soaked from the drinking, and the fur not drying out properly after. So if this is happening, then you may need to change your rabbits water dish to something that prevents the chin from getting soaked.

If you have a photo from before cleaning, that might actually be better for determining the cause of the skin problem.
there is not any holes or wounds in the chin. But i will try to take a picture, tho right now it has been clean as i use the cream for the chin. Also he is not drooling or anything.

But ill might need to change his water bowl as it is quite large. His chin is always swimming in the water

image0 (7).jpeg
This is the my second doe that has just gotten it. (my other one we shaved around the area so I could see all of the wound as well as have an easier applying job). I noticed the infection maybe two or three days ago. I immediately took out her water bowl (which had gotten gross, she has her two kits living with her) and cleaned it with Dawn. Then I gave her the clean bowl with fresh water and pulled her out. I treated her with the gel version of the Vetericyn Skin and Wound Care. But she really hates me touching the area so I'm not sure how much got on it. This photo was taken today before I treated her.
No drooling, or teeth problems. Just a skin infection.
If your rabbit is drinking out of a bowl (which both of my girls with the infections were drinking out of) I highly recommend getting a nice water bottle. I use this one and love it, pretty much no drip, and easy for the rabbits to use. Water bottles also doesn't get poop, hay, urine or paws splashed in it. Which how the bacteria builds up. The nozzle and bottle will need to be cleaned occasionally to avoid the small bacteria build up, the nozzle more than the bottle.
RentACoop Small Animal Water Bottle
It holds a LOT of water, but they do have a bigger size if your rabbit drinks more than a lot.

Hi, you are right about all the advantages of having a water bottle, but rabbits cans sufffer from dehydration when using a bottle. So I would recommend you just rinse a bowl everyday.

Hi, you are right about all the advantages of having a water bottle, but rabbits cans sufffer from dehydration when using a bottle. So I would recommend you just rinse a bowl everyday.
Rabbits do need to be "trained" on a water bottle, and some people don't realize that until their rabbit isn't drinking. But almost all of my rabbit are on water bottles, and aren't dehydrated unless their bottle isn't filled. The water bottle I recommended is very easy for them to use and doesn't leak and make the cage messy.

U P D A T E

So the infection wasalmost gone, i was away for a week (read: i had someone to take care of my rabbits) and the infection took over again as the caretaker didnt apply any vetramil when i was gone. Now i have been treating him with vetramil and vetericyn and the infection is almost gone, i have seen some hair growing back too! :) Ill be still treating him for a week or so and if its not cured i will be going to the vet to get antibiotics

Latest posts

Back