Raph had an accident

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bassetluv wrote:
That is weird, Frith. Poor Gunner! I hope he is okay. Let me know whatyour vet says. I'm taking Raph to my vet this afternoon (he had justleft for the day after Raph's accident yesterday). I'd love to compareand see what they both say.

Well I spoke to my vet a little while ago and told him what happened.He thought that maybe the tooth might firm back up. If not, he saidmaybe we ought to just pull the tooth out (Gunner is the bun withmalocclussion, so he's at the vet about once a month anyhow). So we'reon a "wait and see" since Gunner is still eating/drinking and being hisusual slightly snotty self. I'll be inspecting the gum areaaround the tooth every day to make sure it's not getting infected (ifit does, vet said to give him Baytril (which I still have some leftoverfrom other visits to tide me over if it happens on a weekend orsomething) and to bring him in).

I hope your new little bun isn't severly sick, and the Raph doesn't catch it either! Hugs and :pray:s for you and your family!

It never rains, it pours!! BassetluvI do hope all your little ones are soon feeling better. It's probablyhard dealing with them all being sick, it's a bit like ourfamilies when they get sick, it starts with one and then the next onehas something etc etc chin up and goodluck.:hug:

Spring wrote:
Is there anyway that Gunner's malocclussion will cbe fixed? :shock:

:dunno:I don't know. We were doing okay with going to the vetonce a month or soto have his teeth trimmed up. Hopefully hehasn't messed up his mouth too badly with this loose tooth. Keep yourfingers crossed.

Bassetluv, how did the vet visit go? Is everyone going to be okay?

Well I spoke to my vet a little while agoand told him what happened. He thought that maybe the tooth might firmback up. If not, he said maybe we ought to just pull the tooth out(Gunner is the bun with malocclussion, so he's at the vet about once amonth anyhow). So we're on a "wait and see" since Gunner is stilleating/drinking and being his usual slightly snotty self.
I hope Gunner's tooth does stabilize itself, poor little guy. But Iguess if he does lose it, he will at least still have the otherone...and I'm discovering that the loss of those incisors isn't asdebilitating to a rabbit as one might think. I still do feel so badlyfor them though. Did your vet say how long it might be before you cantell if the tooth firms up?

My vet looked at Raph today and he isn't worried about the teeth comingbaack in...as I suspected, they both broke at the gum line, and today Icould see the actual teeth in the gums. The concern now - at leastaccording to my vet - is that the bottom teeth aren't going to get worndown for a while, and in waiting for the top ones to come in, thebottom incisors will get long...plus he seemed concerned that the topones might wind up growing in improperly because of the bottomincisors. So I have to have Raph rechecked in a couple of weeks andperhaps have the bottom teeth trimmed.

The new bunny (still no name, but my son suggested I call him'Rabbit'...not very original, but so far that's what he has beencalled) is still at my house. I had asked my sister to take him becausehe was showing signs of a respiratory ailment, but she was veryapprehensive about taking him in, as she has two younger children and adog who is unpredictable around other animals. When she expressed herconcerns I decided to keep the rabbit here, and moved him back into mybedroom (I had just moved his cage out yesterday and had relocated himto the kitchen). So I guess it will be a matter of keeping an eye onhim, and being careful not to handle him before handling Raph.

So many things happening in the past while...losing my stepmom, losingScooby, Raph getting hurt, 'Rabbit' not being well, my cat (who isgetting on in years) not feeling well, and my finances in direstraits...it was all just a bit too overwhelming today. Thanks to allof you for allowing me to vent...

Oh, and Pam, I have a question. Have you seen this ever happen before?I mean, a rabbit breaking it's teeth like Raph did. I had checkedRaph's teeth periodically in the past and had wondered if they were atad too long. They overlapped one another, and were straight (didn'tsee any signs of malocclusion), but the upper incisors did seem a bitlonger than I've seen on other rabbits. I'm wondering if he has toothproblems (i.e., a weakness in his teeth somehow). I asked my vet aboutit but he wasn't really able to tell me much...he said it depended uponhow he landed when he fell - if he landed straight on his mouth, if hismouth was open, etc.). Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a common injuryto happen to a rabbit?

Oh Bassettluv it sounds like you have TOO muchgoing on. I know that I read somewhere the same thing that your vettold you. The loss of the upper incisors will affect the rabbitswholemouth because the lowers will have nothing to grindagainst. it probably will be OK if you have Raph checked frequently. Ihave a tiny min-lop that has bizarre peg teeth (the ones behindthe incisors.)They grow out and look likea handlebarmustache. They grow fast like nails and I clip them myself. If no onehad discovered it a rabbit could starve to death because it would be touncomfortable to eat. I hope that things improve and also that thelittle one gets well.

Frith..I am not sure but I think that sometimesin cases of severe mal-occlusion the incisors are actually removed. Ihope that Gunner is OK (Idoubt that he will choke on his tooth). I'msure that if you keep contact with the vet you can figure out somethings to help him.

Latest posts

Back