Raph had an accident

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassetluv

Reaction score
A little while ago I was in my kitchen and Raphwas running around as he usually does, chasing the cats and followingme around. However, when my back was turned I think he must havesmelled a bag of rolled oats that I had sitting on top of a cage, andhe jumped up, lost his balance and slid off. It wasn't far, maybe14-16" or so, and he was up and running around within a second, so Ididn't think much of it. But my niece gave him a piece of lettuce a fewmoments later, and when I noticed that he kept on 'mouthing'afterwards, I wondered if something was wrong. So I picked him up andlooked, and discovered that one of his top upper teeth was gone. Thiswas pretty shocking in itself, but then he 'mouthed' again and spit outa tooth...only it wasn't the one that was gone, it was the remainingupper tooth. So Raph has lost both top front teeth. :(

I'm hoping they will grow back...he's going to the vet tomorrow for aninspection, and he seems none the worse for wear...he's hopping allover the house and following both myself and my son around. I triedgiving him some pellets and after sniffing them for a moment, he didstart eating, so that's not really an issue. It's just that I'm stillsort of in disbelief that he could lose his teeth so easily, and I feelso bad about it...

:(

Oh My Goodness! I am SO sorry to hear that happeded to poor Raph and Im sure you must be all shook up too!!

....darn if he would have only lost his teeth a week earlier we couldhave all been singing ..."all I want for Christmasis my two frontteeth..."

Im sorry tojoke:)but the humor will help make you feel better.

I am sure Raph will be no worse for the wear and will just look a lilfunny for awhile. I will be praying for you both that everything healsand grows back nicely :)

Holy Cow! Poor Raph. Ingeneral, the knocked out teeth grow back fine. Just keepchecking them for any sign of infection and to be sure they are growingback in straight. He'll be able to eat fine without them.

"Cats always land on their feet -- Rabbits always land flat on their faces :?"

Pam

FreddysMom wrote:
....darn if he would have only lost his teeth a week earlier we couldhave all been singing ..."all I want for Christmasis my two frontteeth..."
This song entered my head straight away too!!

Good that he can still eat, hopefully he gets the all clear from the vet.
They sure keep us on our toes huh, I don't remember our daughter scaring us as much as what the bunnies do LOL.

Goodluck and let us know how you get on;)

Oh no. I'm glad Raph is ok. Thankgoodness he can still eat ok. I hope the teeth grow in straight anddon't cause him any problems.

"Cats always land on their feet -- Rabbits always land flat on their faces :?"
Pam that is so true. I love that.

Tina

He should be fine with eat as rabbits withmisaligned teeth sometimes get the incisors removed instead of routinetrimmings. I've just heard that with hard vegetables like carrots andthat just cut them into smaller pieces so they can be able to grip themwith their lips:)

Hope everything is fine with the vets visit! :colors:

Thank you everyone...it seems like so much hasbeen happening lately that hasn't been great, and now Raph loses histwo front teeth (LOL...that song is so appropriate). It's just all beenso weird. And ironically, my son is recovering from oral surgerytoday...he had two wisdom teeth removed.

I'm not too worried for Raph as he seems to be eating okay. I shred hiscarrot for him and he downed it in seconds, so his appetite is stillfine. And he is FULL of beans today, running everywhere and doing lapsand circles around my feet! It makes it easier seeing him still runningabout and having fun...just seems like such a bizarre thing to happen.And I feel so badly for him, even if it doesn't seem to be botheringhim. And thanks Spring, yes... I thought of thattoo...that some rabbits do have their teeth removed if they havemalocclusion or some other problem, and they do fine as well. It'sjust...well...very upsetting to see my baby boy with his teeth missing!:( (And this also means shredded carrot on the menu for the nextwhile...)

Anyway, hopefully 2006 will be a better year....:pray:

Thank you all for being such a source of comfort whenever something like this happens. :hug:

If he's having fun, then there's no use frettinghehe! He sounds like he's having fun! It's hard not to worry, but atthese times it's just a waste of a good brain! :D Atleasthe's not sulking, what a good little guy! Yup, hopefully 06 will bewith a little more less bad eventful! :D

I'm so sorry about Raph's accident. Itis so hard not to worry about them when things happen. Soundslike he is doing good though...thank goodness. He is such abeautiful rabbit. :)Beckie

I was going to say, now you have two boys withoral problems over there. I'm gald Raph is doing fine though, I'd be astresscase if it were me.

Talk about wierd -- my boy bun Gunner justknocked one of his top incisors loose! He got mad or something atour other boy Hoppi and tugged real hard on the cage, then startedmaking wierd motions with his mouth and his little tongue kept stickingout. My husband and I are inspecting him and one top incisor is loose.He doesn't seem to be in any pain, ate a baby carrot that I offeredhim, and still flicked his feet at me when I put him down. Myhusband is worried he'll someone choke on the tooth if/when he works itfully loose, and wants to pull it out. I have protested, andsmuggled the bunny out of his sight, cause I think it might be best tolet Gunner figure out what to do with his loosetooth. I also wanted to check with the forum forsuggestions. No doubt I will most likely be calling out vettomorrow morning.:?

Aww, poor toothless wonder Raph!!! It's hard forus to imagine being toothless as our teeth are a source of pain and wevalue our teeth a lot but I suppose to a bunny it's just a minordrawback as their teeth do not have the same nerves as ours (I think)

I was going to say, now you have two boyswith oral problems over there. I'm gald Raph is doing fine though, I'dbe a stresscase if it were me.
Steph, I've been trying not to let it get to me, and yesterday I waspretty okay, but now today am not doing as well. Seems things have beenaccumulating...Raph's accident was pretty shocking, though it's good toknow he can cope with it. However, I got up this morning and checked onthe new little rabbit, only to discover that he is sick. He has beensneezing, he didn't eat much of his food, and there is a slight thickdischarge in his nasal passage. So I called my sister and am going tohave her take him. I cannot afford even more vet bills...my financeshave been stretched to the max. And on top of it all, my cat is alsonow showing signs of illness. It seems it all does happen at once, sothe stress levels have actually gone way up this morning. And I amkicking myself because yesterday Raph was exposed to the little bunnyfor the first time. He was running around his cage for most of the day.Hopefully this is a minor upper respiratory thing and not snuffles, butI can't take the chance of keeping the little guy here. He's such asweetheart too. :(

Thanks Beckie, Jan and Rebecca...I think Raphwill be okay, it's more of a shock for me than him. I just want to makesure his appetite stays up and he can eat okay. Rebecca, I don't knowthat much about rabbits' teeth...all I know is they grow constantly. SoI'm not sure if the nerves are the same or not...I would assume theyare contained within the root? Not sure...maybe Pam would know. :)

Talk about wierd -- my boy bun Gunner just knocked one of his top incisors loose!
That is weird, Frith. Poor Gunner! I hope he is okay. Let me know whatyour vet says. I'm taking Raph to my vet this afternoon (he had justleft for the day after Raph's accident yesterday). I'd love to compareand see what they both say.

I suspect that Raph actually swallowed one of his teeth, as I couldn'tfind it anywhere. The tooth that he spit out looks like it had a cleanbreak right at the gum line, but I'll get the vet to look at it and seewhat he says. It's just all so weird...I owned rabbits for many manyyears when I was younger, and had never seen this happen before. :?

(((Hugs))) for Gunner...

Bassetluv wrote:
So I'm not sure if the nerves are thesame or not...I would assume they are contained within the root? Notsure...maybe Pam would know. :)

Yes, there is a nerve extending down the tooth. As the rabbit ages, the nerve extends farther down the incisor.

Pam

Oh No! What a shame about your new baby. I feelso awful for you - everything is happening at once! Will you take himback if it isn't anything serious, or will your sister keep him? It'sso sad, as I know you weretaken withthe little guy,and he with you :(. Hope Raph is OK!

Jan

Latest posts

Back