(RANDY?????) Rory's pee issues, now coordination issues too

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what kind of urine test was done, but we had to wait a while while she went and did it. She came back out and said that there was a lot of bacteria in his urine and described it as being in clumps. She said the urine was more diluted than she would expect to see with a rabbit. What kind of urine test does that sound like? The $150 was for the vet visit, test and Baytril. Thanks for replying, Pipp and Randy!

I doubt she would be willing to treat him with Ponazuril since she won't treat Skyler with it either. As much as I would LIKE her to do it, I can't make the vet prescribe something. Randy if she won't give him the Convenia, what else would you suggest?

Tomorrow we finally have to bring Skyler's poop in so she can test for coccidia. I asked her about it when we were there with Rory since as Claire pointed out in Skyler's thread, EC causes liver damage so it doesn't make sense to assume he has hepatic coccidiosis or something. She said she wanted to test his poop anyway just in case. Does that sound reasonable to you guys? If it doesn't, it's not like she can make me bring his poop in and take money out of my bank account to test it.

I feel for you....you are really in a bad spot. Ask your doctor to contact Dr. Dana (pronounced like Donna) Krempels in the biology department at University of Miami. She started using Ponazuril shortly after I did. She is not a vet but she is a PhD in biology at a major university...and she heads up the HRS chapter in South Florida.

Convenia isn't labeled for rabbits....but neither is Baytil. Ask your vet to go out on the VIN and ask other vets. My primary vet uses Convenia a lot with rabbits.

Randy

It took me a while to convince my vet to prescribe Zithromax for Pebbles. I was able to sayother bunnies from this forum have used it and with Randy's recommendation for the amount to use, the vet agreed for me to go ahead. I think the vet isquite interested in the results of this treatment. However Pebbles has been on Zithromax for the last 19 days, and there is little or no improvement.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
It took me a while to convince my vet to prescribe Zithromax for Pebbles. I was able to sayother bunnies from this forum have used it and with Randy's recommendation for the amount to use, the vet agreed for me to go ahead. I think the vet isquite interested in the results of this treatment. However Pebbles has been on Zithromax for the last 19 days, and there is little or no improvement.
I think that bunnies like Pebbles who has been fighting for so long sometimes take longer and several rounds before you see drastic changed. Ringo was like that. Which is why for my own personal bunnies I hit it strong right from the get go now.

When we go to the vet on Friday I will ask to switch him to Convenia and request blood work. He got an x-ray today and the vet who did it is going to share it with his regular vet. The x-ray today showed normal kidneys and liver, thank goodness.

I saw a brochure about Convenia at the vet office today. Also I will tell his regular vet about Dana Krempels and Ponazuril. When we bring him in, we'll be bringing in a sample of Skyler's poop too. The vet said she would treat him with Ponazuril if she thinks he has coccidia. Also, the vet we saw today told me she was surprised all 4 bunnies aren't being treated with Panacur by our regular vet. Does that seem odd to you guys?

Thanks so much for the help! We certainly are having a lot of health issues here, aren't we?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
When we go to the vet on Friday I will ask to switch him to Convenia and request blood work. He got an x-ray today and the vet who did it is going to share it with his regular vet. The x-ray today showed normal kidneys and liver, thank goodness.

I saw a brochure about Convenia at the vet office today. Also I will tell his regular vet about Dana Krempels and Ponazuril. When we bring him in, we'll be bringing in a sample of Skyler's poop too. The vet said she would treat him with Ponazuril if she thinks he has coccidia. Also, the vet we saw today told me she was surprised all 4 bunnies aren't being treated with Panacur by our regular vet. Does that seem odd to you guys?

Thanks so much for the help! We certainly are having a lot of health issues here, aren't we?
I can't say much on this just wanted to do :hug:<-- that.

SnowyShiloh wrote:

I have seen the brochure for Convenia also..it is really off label for rabbits but Randy swears by it and Flashy has used it successsfully on one of her rabbits.Your vet may need some assistance in dosing; it is given more frequently in rabbits ( once a week injection ?)than cats or dog;. maybe he would be willing to talk with Randy

It would be great if your vet would give Ponazuril

Panacur ( fenbendazole) is still the most commonly used drug for EC although it cannot cross the blood brain barrier. Ponazuril is far more effective for both coccidia and EC

I don't think it is uncommon for a vet to treat all rabbits living together for EC and/or coccidia althoughI don't know if this is necessary if the other rabbits are aymptomatic.

Angieluv, the vet would only treat Skyler with Ponazuril if she thinks he has coccidia. I'm hoping to be able to talk to her on the phone Monday (really wish I had a cell phone since I'll be at school until before they open and after they close!) and I'll ask about Convenia then. Also just in case you don't check Rory's other thread, I just picked him up and he has two tiny red dots on his lower lip that look like blood but aren't raise at all and won't wipe off.

Rory is at the vet right now, we left him there. Phoebe is being spayed right now so we have to go back over there anyway. His bladder was empty when we got to the clinic, this way she can get a urine sample from him when his bladder fills up, check out the urine, and do the blood test.

angieluv wrote:

Panacur ( fenbendazole) is still the most commonly used drug for EC although it cannot cross the blood brain barrier. Ponazuril is far more effective for both coccidia and EC

I've actually seen fenbendazole and ivermectin reduce (or eliminate) neurological symptoms in some rabbits.

Might be worth a try!

Latest posts

Back