Randomly allergic to my rabbit???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nekobunny, May 10, 2011.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

  1. May 10, 2011 #1

    nekobunny

    nekobunny

    nekobunny

    Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    So I've had Thumper for about 2 years now and I've never had a problem with allergies to her before. This morning I pet her and fed her and shortly after started getting itching everywhere, and whenever i would scratch it would get really angry red and swollen. Also just now my fingers are swelling a bit, its a really weird uncomfortable feeling. I tried watching my hands and it helped a little but the swelling is still there. I guess I have to visit an allergist now. Do I need to bring some of her hair with me to test or something? And would allergy meds help with the swelling?
    :?:tears2:
     
  2. May 10, 2011 #2

    jujub793

    jujub793

    jujub793

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,105
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    saginaw, Michigan, USA
    benedryl may help
     
  3. May 10, 2011 #3

    Nancy McClelland

    Nancy McClelland

    Nancy McClelland

    Larry Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Messages:
    16,319
    Likes Received:
    1,236
    Location:
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    :yeahthat: If you go to an allergists, the test they perform is pretty much a standard screen--mention that you have a bunny and they will add it to the test battery. I was super positive for cats but had no problems with bunnies. My biggest problem is with the timothy hay--I use surgical gloves and an industrial dust mask.
     
  4. May 10, 2011 #4

    Nela

    Nela

    Nela

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    2,337
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Amsterdam, , Netherlands
    Hi Nicole,

    It's possible that allergies have worsened over time and are now more noticeable. It could also be the hay or even the bedding.

    Reactine, Claritin, and Benadryl can help. I've always found Benadryl to work best. However, I've also found Benadryl to be the ones that knock me out themost.

    If I am not mistaken, for an allergy test, you need a referal to an allergistfrom your family doctor for it to be covered by medicare. You don't need to bring anything for the allergy test. Basically, they will mark lil points on your arms in pen, put a drop of liquid over it containing the allergen, and then make a tiny scratch-like prick with a small needle. You really don't feel much at all. The annoying part is when you are allergic as it can be quite itchy and you can't scratch of course. Hehehe. I'm terrified of needles but this doesn't bother me so it shouldn't be a problem. Just letting you know so you know what to expect if you do go in for it. :)

    The one I went to was on Beaumont, in Westmount. I didn't have to wait long and it's easy access by metro. :)If ever you need more info, you can PM anytime.

    I really hope you aren't allergic to your bun but if you are, there are still many things you can do to improve it. Also, if you have seasonal allergies, you might be a bit more reactive right now because of it.

    Best of luck!

     
  5. May 10, 2011 #5

    nekobunny

    nekobunny

    nekobunny

    Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Im going to try picking her up a little bit later, it might just be a coincidence, and also I havent given her timothy for a long time, it might be that. I dont have a family doctor, do you think I could go to a walk-in clinic to get a referral?

    I hope I'm not allergic to her too, she loves cuddles! I will buy some allergy meds, but probably not benadryl. Maybe something topical.
     
  6. May 10, 2011 #6

    plasticbunny

    plasticbunny

    plasticbunny

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    613
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    You couldhaving a reaction toher urine. If you never had her urine touch her skin before, you may never have noticed. She may have had a bit on her fur this time. My boyfriend reacts strongly to rabbit urine, not so much to their fur.

    Just curious, if you haven't been using timothy hay recently, what type of hay have you been using?
     
  7. May 10, 2011 #7

    nekobunny

    nekobunny

    nekobunny

    Active Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    I kind of mix it up every few weeks, usually oat hay, botannical hay, brome hay... but the pet store i went to last only had timothy.
     
  8. May 11, 2011 #8

    Nela

    Nela

    Nela

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2009
    Messages:
    2,337
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Amsterdam, , Netherlands
    If it's only a bit of small hives then it doesn't sound like it could be too bad right now. You could wash your arms with soapy water and it should pass after a few minutes. The serious allergies will affect your breathing and that's when it's most important to determine the exact cause.

    However, if you are breaking out into hives (so if it starts happening more and more) I would recommend not having the bun in your face too much. Meaning, as hard as it sounds, try to avoid giving kisses and snorting fur. Lol. Lips are particularly sensitive so it's really not fun when they react to an allergen. Also best to keep your airway clear.

    Timothy hay has been shown to make many people react. I'm not sure why but a lot of people react more to timothy than other hays. It's good for the bun to have so I suggest you still feed it but it's probably a good idea to wear gloves. If it affects your breathing, a mask should be worn too. :)

    Like I mentionned, if you have seasonal allergies, it's also possible that you are a bit more sensitive at this time. That could also be why you don't always react. :)

    As for the walk-in, yeah that should work. However, most walk-ins have several hours of waiting time and I would suggest only going if it gets out of hand and really poses a problem so that you are treated with respect. Most doctors might not take too kindly to a ' minor' issue. You know how it is with medical help ;)Lol.

    I hope it doesn't come back though!
     
  9. May 12, 2011 #9

    isabelly

    isabelly

    isabelly

    Active Member

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    Messages:
    34
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    GVRD, British Columbia, Canada
    I was allergic to all feathered or furry animals up until 6 months ago when I moved to an apartment and my cat became an indoor cat. Then I got a couple air filter units ($100 to $200 each from Can.Tire), a hepa-like vacuum, a steam mop, wipes for the cat, Aerius/Claritin/Reactine for me and my boyfriend, and plenty of hand soap and lotion. And then we got Sir Callebaut a few months ago.

    I keep the makeup and perfumes to a minimum and the bedroom is off-limits to furbearers. I do wash my hands alot, I always remind myself not to touch my face, and both air filters are on 24/7. I don't like to take the allergy pills, but if you're not taking any other medication, then a daily Reactine might be all you need.

    My allergies have virtually disappeared (my boyfriend is doing ok, he takes a pill at least a couple times a week) and, honestly, I think it has much to do with faith, determination, and love (I absolutely refuse to give up my cat and Sir Callebaut is ridiculously easy to love) as it does with all the precautions I took. I don't even clean that often now, maybe a couple times a month.
     

Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page

Group Builder