random stress sounds or purrs? should I be concerned?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deliciosa

Reaction score
being nocturnal Mimi is usually quite lazy during the day, she often lies flattened out on her tummy either on the ground in front of her hutch or in her hutch. Throughout today, while she's been resting, she's made random teeth chatterings (I have not been petting her during these times).

She has never done this before. Should I be worried...?

Teeth grinding/chattering is a sound of happiness and contentment. My bun used to do it when I had him on my lap and I would stroke down along his head, between his eyes. I believe it's essentially a rabbits way of purring :p

I never knew my rabbit to make the noise when he was scared or in pain.

They do grind their teeth when under a great deal of pain, but it is a different sound. I have never heard it in person. Sometimes people worry that a tooth purr is actually a grind but I think they are distinct enough that if you have heard the purr, the grind would sound very different. Another clue can be context--a flopped out bunny making tooth noises is most likely happy. :) Sometimes my guys do the purr to themselves when in the "loaf" position which makes me concerned, because that loaf position is often associated with gas episodes, which are painful. However, they usually do this with their eyes nearly closed and will come running for a treat, indicating that it's not gas.

Latest posts

Back