Random fit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Occasionallycaress

Reaction score
The other night, my 5-year old mini rex kept running in and out of her cage, and eventually flopped in it. She’s never done that before, so I went over to check up on her. She was extremely lethargic, and wouldn’t accept her favorite snacks. Her heart was going crazy fast, and I was fully convinced I was going to lose her.

15/20 minutes later, she hops out the cage and is totally fine. She starts eating, running around, and grooming herself as normal. I’ve kept a close eye on her for the past few days, and she’s eating, drinking, and pooping normally.

Idk, I know rabbits are good at masking whatever it is they’re going through. Was that just a random fit, or should I go to the vet still? Vet bills are really expensive for a college student such as myself, but I’m willing to eat ramen for the next month if it means my bunny will be alright tbh.

It doesn't sound like a fit/seizure. Those present differently. It sounds more like it could have been a choking episode. Running around frantically would be from not being able to breath. Then flopping, lethargic, and increased heart rate from the stress of it happening, after the obstruction cleared. Then calming down and behaving normally afterwards because the obstruction is cleared and everything is ok and back to normal.

Basic rabbit choking information (always consult with your vet first, on how to safely clear an airway obstruction)

Most often choking episodes happen from pellets getting lodged. The biggest risk after this happens and the obstruction is cleared, is from the food particles getting aspirated into the lungs and then causing aspiration pneumonia to develop. If you didn't see any discharge, in particular green discharge, from around the nose and mouth afterwards, then there's a chance nothing got inhaled into the lungs and your rabbit will be fine.

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/pneumonia
MediRabbit (pneumonia in rabbits, contains graphic medical related photos)

If you aren't seeing any signs of noisy breathing or difficulty breathing(mouth breathing, increased or labored respirations), or any indication something is wrong, it's up to you if you feel you need a knowledgeable rabbit vet to check over your rabbit. But if you do see any of the signs of compromised respiratory function or other indications something is wrong with your rabbit, get your rabbit to a vet immediately.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back