Rabit Cage Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontuner

Reaction score
I just bought a 3 1/2 month old dwarf bunny and got her a good sized cage, the kind that has the tray that slides out to change. Well i had to questions. First off the tray is a cool idea but at the same time all the bedding just falls through to the bottom within a day. Any suggestions on fixing this? Secondly, she is full of energy, even after taking her out and letting her run around my home she still like to dash back and forth in the cage and kick the bedding everywhere! I was thinking of maybe getting some of that fish tank background paper at the pet store and taping some up, but if someone has a better idea or a reason not to do that id be willing to listen. Thanks for your time!

Jeff

Jeff, do you put bedding all over the bottom of the cage?

I just use hay in a litter box and thena nice little fleece blanket on the bottom, or even an older towel.

As for the hay they eat - I know some here make or buy hay racks. I personally buy the suet cages (green wire squares for wild bird treats) from Wal Mart and stuff them with hay to eat. I do also put some loose hay in the cages, but not enough to provide actual "bedding".

I dont have loose bedding in the cages.

Yes im a little new to the bunny thing. I just put the same type aspen wood shavings she was in at the pet store and then some of the carefresh pet bedding in it. It stays up there for a while but all eventually falls through into the waste tray.

Im starting to understand though after reading other posts and your comment that they should just have a bed section and not nessearily their whole cage.

Thanks for the reply.

Im still having issues with her kicking it everywhere though through the sides.. ugh

I'm new to rabbits too... but I'm thinking maybe your rabbit needs something else that is fun to do as a distraction? Maybe if she has something else to do then she might not make the hay go everywhere... just a thought! other people might have other good ideas too, but thats all I can think of.

try some toys... even simple things like toilet rolls. there are other threads about toys on this forum, have a look around :)

How much run time does she get? How big is her cage?

It may be that because she is clearly very active she needs more run time, or a bigger cage.

I also agree with crystal about giving her stimulation. Does she have any toys or anything in her cage?

When I had to trays underneath my buns cages, I just put newspaper to line the tray - they always had the cage door open and a area just outside that to run around that was penned-in (with their toys,etc) so they would only go inside the cage to do the necessary - I've always put a small rug up on top of their cage because they loved hopping up on top and napping there and grooming themselves.
Good idea about the suet baskets to double as hay feeders!

The cage is a good size, idk the specs off the top of my head, but i decided to take her out more and also found a breeder and bought another female dwarf as a playmate. I was nervous because if they didnt like each other im not sure what i would do, but luckily they are already bonding. They both clean each other and play all the time. I have been taking them out a lot more too and just putting up a fence. I also took the advice and went and got some toys like baby teethers and little plastic balls with bells in them. They love them! Thanks for the help everyone!

How old are they? Are they both females unfixed?If so, you shouldexpect them to fight if left out together at any given time. Not to say these guys will, it's just a concenses so to speak, most unspayed females are much more territorial, much harder to bond, etc. I would keep them separated until they are fixed to be safe.;)

Congrats on your additions! Just read up on here in our Library and you'll just fine.:D

They are both females and unfixed but so far so good. I wake up every morning to them side by side nestled together. How much does it usually cost to get them spayed? I know different places charge different prices and you get what you pay for, but whats it cost on average?

Latest posts

Back