Rabbits without front teeth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone had their rabbit's two front teeth removed because of misalignment? Did they eat normal after that? We have a 6 yo who has always had straight teeth. I don't know how they became misaligned but when he stopped eating his usual food we discovered the front ones were crooked and over growing. We had them trimmed and a month later we're having the same problem again...stopped eating and over growing again. :(

I haven't but have read first hand accounts of others who have had it done. Most rabbits seemed to adapt to the missing teeth fine, though some did have troubles with certain foods and needed them chopped into bite sized pieces.

It can be an expensive surgery. Some important points are making sure the vet removes all 6 teeth(peg teeth too). Make sure you are sent home with pain meds. Watch for possible infection. Holes left from removed teeth can get food and bacteria in them. I think some vets will stitch them closed to prevent this. Removed teeth can sometimes regrow.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

Okay, thanks. It sounds like the cost may be prohibitive. We're just weighing our options. Learning to trim them ourselves is another alternative, I guess.

Cost can vary quite a bit just depending on the vet. A local vet will do it for $400, but I've heard quotes for over $1000 as well. If you are still thinking about having it done, shop around, but still make sure to have an experienced rabbit vet do it.

You may also be able to find a vet that will trim for a good price, if they can do it without anesthesia. Anesthesia will always bump the cost up.

Latest posts

Back