Rabbits vs Parrots: how does a bun compare to a parrot?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaretti

Reaction score
Hello!

This post is for people here who had experience with owning a parrot and can give some insight into how different having a rabbit is compared to a parrot.

I ask because I had a parrot and am used to all the physical work as well as training/behavior problems of a parrot. Wondered how a rabbit is similar/different? Things like

-Parrots can be quite bitey/aggressive, especially if they’re not in the mood or full of food
-A bit unforgiving, like if they had a bad experience with something, they now hate it. Like if they fell off someone’s hand, hands are now bad and to be bitten if they’re on it again
-Tend to love one person and not much anyone else
-Not like new people
-Ect, parrot owners know lol

Thus friends tended to be kind of afraid of it and not want to interact with it, which made me a bit sad and is part of why I don’t want a pet that’s too much like all that again.

My parrots required a lot of training to manage all that, but was always something that was only managed and always present to a point. The difficulty of the bird to me was less in the physical work/ daily care (which there was much of) and more these social behaviors.

So how is a rabbit similar/different to these things mentioned? I’m looking for a pet that behaves different than what I mentioned above with the birds, so am wondering how a bunny fits that.

Thanks for reading :)

My answers in order

-Rabbit are more flight animals rather than fight or ‘bite’ animals. Indoor rabbits are definitely more demanding because they know they can get it. I am definitely a culprit of giving my rabbit what he wants when he nudges me!

-Once you build a strong bond with your rabbit id say they’re very forgiving. I’ve had to wrestle my rabbit to stop him from getting something he shouldn’t. If you scare your rabbit, or they have a bad experience, it will take longer for them to get over it but they definitely can. My first rabbit used to be hit by his previous owners, and began to be cage-aggressive. It only took a few months and he became so gentle.

-Rabbits generally do like one person more than another but they do like everyone. My mum is my rabbits favourite, for some reason.

-Some rabbits are quite weary of new people, while others will run straight up to them. It depends on the personality.

I would say rabbits are good for most people, as long as you have the right space, time and money for them. Rabbits are not cheap, and their vet bills can be as much as a dogs. A rabbit needs at least 6x2ft space, therefore cages are not good for them. They aren’t very needy animals but if you are getting a single Rabbit you will need to spend at least three hours a day with them.

bunnies are social creatures, they like a habit, and want to be loved. With this in mind here we go
- rabbits tend to be aggressive until they trust you, if they are sick, or if they are injured
- you can regain their trust of things by slowly easing into it, if you acendntly clipped a nail too short, they get scared of them... you put them in there cage for a week or two until they are used to it again. If you have a strong bond you will be fine
- rabbits do tend to like one person but bo well with everyone like apollo's slave said
- depending on your rabbit they will or will not like new people but that can be worked on with time
bunnies are loving and cute animals that almost everyone likes. if your friends have a good first experience they will want to see your bunny all the time. rabbits are fun animals with big personalities and different needs, their biggest need is to be loved and feed.
good luck and let us know if you get a bunny!

With the idea of a rabbit being new to you, you may share some common misconceptions about rabbits as pets in general. The following page from my website reviews some of those common misconceptions/myths. It may help give you a better feel for what rabbits can be like.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/myths.html

At the bottom of that page is a link to another page on the site that reviews some other things to factor when considering a rabbit as a pet. You may see some ideas or traits you had not considered yet. :)

That’s a helpful link, thanks! Especially the link to the rabbitspeak.com site. That’s the exact kinda site I need to study up on haha. Thanks to Apollo and bunnylove too, this is all helping me get a better idea of what I’m looking at

Latest posts

Back