Rabbits taking honey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nisha

Reaction score
Hello friends. I need advice on this. My rabbit has a long cut like wound between his flesh on both side of his penis area. I can actually lift the flesh from each other and there was sloughing present. So the vet told me to use cotton and clean the wound with antiseptic and apply honey on it everyday once for 10 days. Will this antiseptic and honey application affect my rabbit's health? I read on Google it isn't good for rabbits gut. Please do advice me

can you take a picture on how it looks, because it seem weird to be wounds. Can it be the scent glands you are talking about.

It’s near the genital area on both sides, if you separate the skin you can sometimes find gooey stuff that’s dark and smells a lot. You can often clean that area with cotton and lukewarm water or is it really true wounds.

Myself wouldn’t use honey, because it would never stay. Bunnies love sweet stuff and it’s not healthy eating it.

Yes please do not put anything on your rabbit yet!
Photos of the "wounds" first.
This sounds like your rabbits scent glands.
A vet should have known better if theyre giving advice over the phone. Did you physically take your rabbit to see the vet?

can you take a picture on how it looks, because it seem weird to be wounds. Can it be the scent glands you are talking about.

It’s near the genital area on both sides, if you separate the skin you can sometimes find gooey stuff that’s dark and smells a lot. You can often clean that area with cotton and lukewarm water or is it really true wounds.

Myself wouldn’t use honey, because it would never stay. Bunnies love sweet stuff and it’s not healthy eating it.

Please help me check these pictures. I'm not sure if they smell coz I can't smell anything

Attachments

• IMG-20200305-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20200305-WA0010.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20200305-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200305-WA0009.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 14
That’s the scent glands of your bunny :) So it’s no wound.
Omg I feel like crying out blood from my eyes. I literally wiped that area with antiseptic and applied honey today. I was shocked to see that. I thought my rabbit got cut or his neutered wound got open again on something which didn't seem logic at all because it was mid last year I neutered him. How did the vet not tell me it was the scent gland. I struggle a lot here as I really can't find a good vet at all. Apparently a lot of vet are very professional with cats and dogs but not rabbits. Thank you so much! After reading your comments about scent glands and I immediately searched on YouTube. And I realized yeahhh it is scent gland! Dear Lord. Thank you dear friend. I'm so grateful for this. I'm relieved entirely. Praise God for this website I am learning so much!

Yes please do not put anything on your rabbit yet!
Photos of the "wounds" first.
This sounds like your rabbits scent glands.
A vet should have known better if theyre giving advice over the phone. Did you physically take your rabbit to see the vet?

I was literally in front of him. And I even opened the scent glands for him to see. And he said there was ulceration which I don't see any ulceration. I was just shocked to see my rabbit's skin dividing into 2 near his anus thinking he got himself cut. I don't think I can go to that vet anymore..

Omg I feel like crying out blood from my eyes. I literally wiped that area with antiseptic and applied honey today. I was shocked to see that. I thought my rabbit got cut or his neutered wound got open again on something which didn't seem logic at all because it was mid last year I neutered him. How did the vet not tell me it was the scent gland. I struggle a lot here as I really can't find a good vet at all. Apparently a lot of vet are very professional with cats and dogs but not rabbits. Thank you so much! After reading your comments about scent glands and I immediately searched on YouTube. And I realized yeahhh it is scent gland! Dear Lord. Thank you dear friend. I'm so grateful for this. I'm relieved entirely. Praise God for this website I am learning so much!

It’s hard finding experts on bunnies. I hope you find a better vet for your boy :)

Myself had a hard time finding a good vet but I have been lucky the cities I’ve lived in, it have only been a 1 hour drive to the nearest rabbit savy vet. That focus a lot on bunnies.

So I’m worried again when I move and will need to find a good vet again.

It’s hard finding experts on bunnies. I hope you find a better vet for your boy :)

Myself had a hard time finding a good vet but I have been lucky the cities I’ve lived in, it have only been a 1 hour drive to the nearest rabbit savy vet. That focus a lot on bunnies.

So I’m worried again when I move and will need to find a good vet again.

That's so true. Thank you so much for the help and advice. I'm so glad my bunny is alright

Latest posts

Back