Rabbit's (new mama) nose is bleeding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunzy

Reaction score
Please help! My rabbit gave birth to a litter of six on March 28th, everyone is healthy and happy so I thought until I saw the mothers nose was a little pink around it, it has a little blood on it, would this have something to do with her pregnancy? What should I do?

I would carefully check her and her kits over for any signs of injury. Check in particular for bite wounds or a broken nail.

That pregnancy was a month ago? There wasn't a buck with her when she gave birth, right? If there was, check her over and look for the new nest and litter.

If no buck was around it doesn't have anything to do with that litter. Take a very close look, is she scratched, bitten, or is the the blood coming from a nostril? Is fur missing? Check her all over.
Are there any rabbits around, apart from the kits? Could she have hurt herself trying to get her nose to another rabbit through the wire, any possibility she got bitten that way (I considered naming my buck scarface, he stuck his nose too often through the hutch doors of my Fury).

Does she act differently, does she react to treats normally? Is she more skittish than normal? Sometimes, when rabbits get spooked they can hurt themself running into things like fences.
Can you make close up pictures - with the available information this here is pure guesswork.

Anyway, if you aren't sure if it's serious, see a vet.

Last edited:
That pregnancy was a month ago? There wasn't a buck with her when she gave birth, right? If there was, check her over and look for the new nest and litter.

If no buck was around it doesn't have anything to do with that litter. Take a very close look, is she scratched, bitten, or is the the blood coming from a nostril? Is fur missing? Check her all over.
Are there any rabbits around, apart from the kits? Could she have hurt herself trying to get her nose to another rabbit through the wire, any possibility she got bitten that way (I considered naming my buck scarface, he stuck his nose too often through the hutch doors of my Fury).

Does she act differently, does she react to treats normally? Is she more skittish than normal? Sometimes, when rabbits get spooked they can hurt themself running into things like fences.
Can you make close up pictures - with the available information this here is pure guesswork.

Anyway, if you aren't sure if it's serious, see a vet.
18161BA7-A9D0-4CEE-97D7-2232CB276E95.jpeg

It wasn’t bleeding a whole lot just enough for me to notice it.

Latest posts

Back