Rabbits "marking territory"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have four rabbits, two boys and two girls. I have bonded them in two pairs (one boy and one girl in each pair). The two bonded pairs live in the same area but they are separated by a fence. All of them were litter trained when they were on their own but now they all pee along the fence that separates them. Any idea how I can stop them from doing this?

House them in two separate areas. That's the only solution I can see. They are marking the line of their respective territories, so the only way to stop that is to remove them from that side-by-side living that is encouraging them to mark off their territory.

If moving their living areas is not feasible you could use negative reinforcement... a squirt bottle with some room temperature water is effective in showing them you dont like what they are doing. Our little guy is litter box trained but kept jumping in our bed and peeing on it, so we had to start spraying him when he would jump on the bed. It only took a couple days for him to stop the behavior. Just please be kind when implementing negative reinforcement, don't spray them in the face or get them substantially wet in any degree weather as hypothermia is a real danger when rabbits are wet.

You could try making the divider a solid barrier so they can't see or interact with each other. Zip tie cardboard or something like that on there.

Latest posts

Back